Author Topic: Can someone help me?  (Read 5493 times)

alice

Can someone help me?
« on: Jan 21, 2007, 04:25:35 PM »
hi

I am a creative product design student and currently doing a project which involves creating a service which will help the elderly.

The project is centred around finding out the needs of the elderly, and creating a service which will fulfil these needs. The project is focussed on wellbeing of the elderly and how it can be achieved or enhanced.

You can help me by answering a few questions as part of my research. I thank you in advanc, and if you could answer honestly in as much detail as you like.

1. What is the greatest advantage of being over 60?
2. What is the greatest disadvantage?
3. What one event or aspect of your life gives you the greatest sense of well being?
4. What one thing makes you feel unwell?
5. If your answer to Q4 was health related, what other aspect or event in your life makes you feel unwell?
6. What do you do to cope with this situation?
7. Thinking about the NHS, what is your one greatest frustration with the service?
8. What aspect of the service provides the greatest satisfaction?
9. In your opinion what contributes to an individual’s sense of well being?

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Finn

Re: Can someone help me?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »
Unbelievable.

Sally

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:52:19 PM »
As Finn has warned - totally unbelievable!!

alice

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:32:10 PM »
what is so unbelievable? i dont understand.

Sally

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:44:16 AM »
To start with Alice - surely you don't expect people to answer the questions on a public forum??? Come on then, tell us where you are studying so that we can check up that you actually are a student before we agree to help you.

Finn

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:47:46 AM »
First of all your qestions are framed in such a way as to suggest you have an agenda other than the one declared. Secondly if you are carrying out a research project then you clearly have not listened to your supervisor who would have told you to approach your subject with respect. If your supervisor did not tell you that then please forward his or her name to me plus the name of your academic institution and I will register a complaint with either the Vice -Chancellor or the college principal. Thirdly the elderly as you call them are members of society with individual personalities. You appear to be thinking reductively rather than in open-ended manner which will not lead to a very fruitful career. Fourthly as a tax payer who is funding your education can I simply state that I do not appear to be receiving adequate value.

alice

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »
To start with Alice - surely you don't expect people to answer the questions on a public forum??? Come on then, tell us where you are studying so that we can check up that you actually are a student before we agree to help you.

in response, isnt this forum anonymous? do people physically meet up on this forum?

also, i am trying to help the elderly. i just dont understand why you would think i have other propositions. why do you automatically think somebody is attacking you or has hidden agendas.

and in response to finn's last post. I think your taking this the wrong way. What do you think my agenda is? Why would i come onto a forum and ask these questions. If i was going to do something nasty or cruel then i wouldve done so instead of making up some story that im a student. you have nothing to lose by answering the questions.

Please tell me what agenda you think i have other than the one i declared. i would like to hear of it.

in case you hadnt noticed, the service project is based on a service for the elderly - a service that will help and benefit the elderly.
the questions which i asked are merely questions that are asked to find out and understand the feelings, opinions and the voice of the elderly community. if i can start to understand and empathise then it will prove effective when creating the service.

please dont take me the wrong way. i am not going to disclose which university i go to or anything like that, as i would like to remain anonymous, and judging from the cold defensive response, i dont want the repercussions.

how do you think they design products and services? they do user research to find out what it is that the target market needs.  i know that the elderly have individual personalitites, and that is why im doing hte research. i dont want to base my research on stereotypical views. i want to find out from YOU. i sense you are being defensive, and being destructive rather than constructive. You didnt need to mention anything about my career prospects, and id rather you didnt from now on. If you dont want to answer the question then keep your opinion to yourself.

there are no questions there that would demean anybody. i bet most people would like to express there feelings inside, in hope that somebody or something can help them. freedom of expression is a healthy way to live, keeping emotions, problems and worries inside lead to unhealthy living in body and mind. this methodology is from actual psychological studies

lastly you are not funding my education. i made the choice to go to university and study something which i would like to proceed with in the future. university isnt free. i pay my tuition fess of £1300 a year plus having to live in rented accommodation. its not as if its easy being a student, although your stereotypical view would say so.

everybody pays tax and with not much return in value. that is life. if you want some return then, stop being so defensive, and appreciate help when somebody is willing.

and if you want to talk about respect, then i visit my grandparents once a week, and help and care for them as much as i can. dont question my understanding of respect as its not your business to do so.

well i hope i have got my message across

alice

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »
also, a few threads down there is one entitled 'what makes you grumpy about being a pensioner?'

what difference is there between that question and the questions i presented?

im actually asking about things that make you happy, as well as sad, and your attacking me! where is the sense?

Finn

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »
If you are typical of University students, then standards have slipped far more than what I thought as parts of your posting suggest you are almost illiterate.

Respect in terms of a dissertation or a thesis means something slightly different from your interpretation and the fact that you are unaware of this suggests you are not what you say you are.

Every taxpayer contributes toward your education whether you pay for it or no; I therefore expect value for money and I am entitled to complain if I do not get it.

If you want information then lesson number one is that nothing is provided for nothing. Why should I or anyone else  answer a series of ill conceived questions without knowing what's in it for me. Cui bono? which if you don't know is Latin for "who benefits?".

From my point of view kindly push off somewhere else.

alice

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
If you are typical of University students, then standards have slipped far more than what I thought as parts of your posting suggest you are almost illiterate.

Respect in terms of a dissertation or a thesis means something slightly different from your interpretation and the fact that you are unaware of this suggests you are not what you say you are.

Every taxpayer contributes toward your education whether you pay for it or no; I therefore expect value for money and I am entitled to complain if I do not get it.

If you want information then lesson number one is that nothing is provided for nothing. Why should I or anyone else  answer a series of ill conceived questions without knowing what's in it for me. Cui bono? which if you don't know is Latin for "who benefits?".

From my point of view kindly push off somewhere else.

highlighting and mocking someones literacy is highly unsensitive and uncalled for. how do you know im not dyslexic or have some sort of cognitive disability. as you have accused me of being something to which i am not, i could be any person with any sort of problems. what could i possibly do with the information i gain from you answering the questions. you seem to be quite the bully around here.

its people like you we do NOT need in the community. stop acting as if the world owes you something. everybody pays taxes in their lifetime. so just shut up and stop whining. stop thinking about what can help you, individually, and start think what can help the community as a whole.

you were the one who turned this matter into a personal predicament. the way you have reacted to this situation, and your ridiculous accusations have actually changed my opinion of the elderly. put aside 'stereotyping,' i just cannot help but say that this has affected my personal judgement on the elderly. i know that everybody is different, but im just in shock i could come across a person like you.

i wont bother this forum anymore as it seems your the boss or should i say 'bully' around here. numerous private messages have notified me of your troublesome nature and attacks!

Someone who doesnt appreciate the offer of help doesnt deserve to be helped.

Finn

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »
I trust the next time you might think twice before barging in uninvited and asking questions as though you had a perfect right

alice

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »
people like you give the elderly a bad reputation and only hinder the elderly community

meggie

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »
Alice,
 I think you are genuine and well meaning and trust you will understand that you were a little naive in your approach. The world has become an awful suspicious place and old people have to be very careful.
I note that this little spat has brought this forum to a sudden close, no postings for a few weeks. Come on, carry on with comments and opinions!