Author Topic: Cancer Research UK- a plea from a medical student  (Read 3721 times)

Josse

Cancer Research UK- a plea from a medical student
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
Hi guys,  this is a plea from a fourth year medical student at Brighton and Sussex Medical School. 

I am carrying out a project on behalf of cancer research uk about male knowlege on five common male cancers.  With the results of this project I hope to identify and address the gap in knowlege and fill it with education.

I have had a good response, however have not managed to approach many men over 60, and I feel that this is a very important age group to have represented in this study.

What I am asking for is that if you are interested, or know a male who may be interested, to send me a personal message and let me send you an information sheet and questionnaire which would take between 5-10 minutes of your time and each and every one would really help me with this project.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Josse

Finn

Re: Cancer Research UK- a plea from a medical student
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2007, 01:55:31 PM »
We appear to have become a target for the student population.

Cui bono?

In other words my information is available for a fee. Otherwise keep your nose out  tyvm.

Betty

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »
I realise that this is a bit of an imposition on this forum and that you aren't happy about people posting asking for help. This research is sponsored by Cancer Research UK, and I am an entirely volunteer worker. The idea for this research is based on previous research and knowledge that Cancer Research UK and the medical profession in general have accumulated.

Firstly that males are generally unwilling to visit their general practitioners and very rarely present to their general practitioners in the early stages of disease. This means that the delay between initial symptoms and eventual treatment is significantly greater than within the female population. 

Secondly a large numbers of cancers become more prevalent with age.

Finally many cancers have a much better prognosis with early detection and treatment.

These three pieces of information mean that males, particularly males over the age of 60 are those that need a significant degree of education programs directed at them in order that they present early to their general practitioners.

I posted on this forum as i felt that this might be a place to come into contact with people who might be able to help. I hope this makes my reasons for posting on this forum clear and again i'm sorry if i caused offence. I hope that this helps you, and other members of this forum, understand why this research is important. 

Josse

David

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:29:32 PM »
A medical student who might end up helping you in your twilight years? I think any research into early detection of cancers is a good thing since it is something which affects our age group more so than the student population.

Charging charities for your time? I'm sure it's not worth it.  

Betty

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:34:31 PM »
As a pensioner myself, I feel ashamed for suggesting Josse asked this group for help, with replies such as that from Finn.

Finn

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »
Can you please clarify what it is you are after.

It might help  to begin with if I could discover whether you are Betty or Josse. Posting under different names hardly engenders confidence, now does it?

The reason why males do not visit their GP is that by and large they are brassed off with having to deal with over-paid numbskulls, who haven't even the time to spare for their patients, occupied as they are between entertaining the latest pharmaceutical rep or trousering their next large cheque from the government.

My own GP doesn't appear to have any knowledge whatsoever of my previous medical history.

If medical practitioners would go back to being a caring profession who were interested in their patients it might be helpful.

Why parasitical opportunists like yourself wish to gain information from folk on here is beyond me. Why can't you go and infest somewhere else to justify your existence.

By the way can I ask who is really funding this research of yours? In other words who is/ are Cancer Research UK?

Finn

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:39:18 PM »
By the way my time is valuable.

Charities like anyone else can pay for it if they want information.

David

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
Not that valuable since you insist on carrying on this pointless discussion. I would be happy to fill in the questionnaire, you are just wasting people's time.

Josse

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:24:16 PM »
Can I just thank everyone so much who did reply and help.  It has been much appreciated.

Finn

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »
I'm sure it was, just as I am sure that you are an impostor.

Genuine research such as this  purports to be is carried out under a strict set of parameters.

Those behind this and similar postings have a hidden agenda.

Be very very careful with personal information, email addresses etc.

Always question everything including  nasties like charities, cancer or death.