Author Topic: Garden Pond  (Read 1184 times)

Don

Garden Pond
« on: Apr 16, 2015, 05:59:34 PM »
I have always had an interest in keeping fish,but not thought about a pond,but about six years ago I decided to build one,its hard work,and can be expensive, but
it needs a lot of attention,and is interesting if left open to attract insects,frogs,newts ect,needs looking after all the year,and is another interest for a pensioner to
explore.

Citizen68

Re: Garden Pond
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »
Don, it is rewarding, but do you have herons in your area (they can prey on urban fish as well)? One or two people I know have lost all their fish in a raid. A net over the top can be one answer?

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2015, 09:07:31 PM »
Hi Don and welcome to the forum, hope you are enjoying your retirement. We have a very small pond in a secluded part of the garden but it does have a resident frog and we were delighted to find a tiny newt there the other day too, we also have an array of bird feeders and drinking bowls which attracts lots of birds as well.  :)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Don

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply,my pond is awash with frog spawn,earlier than normal,perhaps we are going to have a early spell of good weather,most have already come away from the spawn,and are swimming about,I have had to move them to another corner of the pond as the fish eat them,and our new cat is fascinated by them,
they say only a very few make it to froghood,but we seem to have a lot around the garden.

Don

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
Early days I lost a couple of fish to herons,and soon bought a net,not lost any since,one of the older,larger fish,has swollen eye,I think they call it pop-eye,I mentioned it to our vet,who says as long as it does,nt contract it in its other eye,it will be OK,I have treated the water with a recommended medication.

firenze

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Hello Don welcome....you sound like a gardener?  A pond can be challenging I personally never got past a goldfish family for the kids to watch, my daughter on the other hand had a large pond, I found it facinating watching the frog spawn develop and then the laying and croaking when time for the next generation began.  Retirement and having the time will mean you can have an aquatic marvel set in a copy of Kew Gardens...go to it ;D
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Don

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »
Yes,I enjoy gardening,my old man was a gardener,well he was a bicycle policeman,but low wages in those days,so he did what was then called,jobbing gardener,we lived near an area of well off people and I used to help him,do their gardens,so I have always enjoyed gardening,but don't know about Kew.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »
Must admit our pond is now a raspberry patch, got fed up feeding the Herons and drying the dog off ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625