Author Topic: Spring  (Read 872 times)

cheddar-caveman

Spring
« on: Apr 30, 2015, 08:32:20 AM »
It's at this time of year that I can't help myself - I go all phenological in the garden. (I like the word, even if Spellcheck doesn't).

'Phenology' is the study of the season cycles of plants and animals; it is now, in spring, more than any other time that I find myself watching the sequence of events that mark the accelerating march towards summer.

Some of it is indicated by the birds - the first chiffchaff, the first swallow, the first cuckoo and the first swift, normally in that order. In the past, you could have inserted turtle dove into that list (in lowland England and Wales at least), but few of us have that privilege now.

Butterflies are great at signalling the seasons too, with orange-tips, speckled woods and holly blues being the most recent 'emergents' (it's another new word for Spellcheck).

I though it so nice that I wanted to share this lovely opening comment from the RSPB gardening tips for May.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Granny49

Re: Spring
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »
Love the word CC (now there's a surprise :)) but like its meaning even more.  Plants and generally growing things do feel very grounding, especially at times like this which certainly have their silly side.

When my daughter-in-law (beautiful person in all ways) got her new job it wasn't that she could fit it in with her studies - she is a mature undergraduate - and the family and the business that was so exciting but that, as she exclaimed, she would be working with "the plant geeks".  Not as beautiful as your quote but very heartfelt as she just wants to feed the world and enjoy everything nature (Aussie style) has to offer.

Just seen the new calming photo.  I hope everyone is enjoying them as much as I am :)
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Citizen68

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »
Yes, photo's are always a timely break from the heavier discuussions.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »
Yes, photo's are always a timely break from the heavier discuussions.
Please see G49's calming thread - all are welcome! ;)
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625