Author Topic: How does your garden grow!  (Read 16837 times)

firenze

How does your garden grow!
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
You must all be dying to know how my Fig Tree is after its hard winter! ;D  Thank you for asking, she is bountiful...I hope!

My fellow fig grower how goes your twig?
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Phil

Re: How does your garden grow!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
Ours is all grass & grows on it's own totally unattended, apart from the odd mowing when it gets very long.

The neighbour's front lawns are like bowling greens & ours is like a meadow.

Lol !!  :D

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Citizen68

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:59:27 AM »
firenze, I'm glad to hear about the fig.  :) :)  The recent spate of rain has sent everything growing wild. Will have to get out there in a minute, now the weather's nice, and make a start!

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
Our lilac tree has blossomed beautifully and the smell is quite heady.  I've put several half coconut feeders out for the birds, and I noticed this morning the latest two have been scraped dry.  Must buy some more.  The perennials are growing apace, and I've planted up some pots for summer colour with just a couple more to go.  Then I can just sit and enjoy!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »
Hi fellow gardeners, had a shock the other day when our large Pieris was badly attacked by frost (never been a problem before) thought it must be its age but I am pleased to tell you that after removing the worst of the damage it is now back to looking beautiful and leaves are beginning to turn red.  :) You are right about the rain Citizen, Mothers garden is a sight to behold (and it must be one of the most neglected spots on earth!) Marigolds and oriental poppies in full flower and roses in full bud.  ::) Glad the fig is doing well Firenze, see how much fruit you get on it this year.  :) Phil, one thing we can all be sure of is that the grass will grow regardlessly!  ;D I do love the smell of lilac, GrannyMac, my Mother will never allow any indoors (supposed to be bad luck!) but it has never stopped me.  ::)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Rose cottage

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:02:51 AM »
Spent a happy hour weeding and deadheading on Wednesday.  Visited my daughter at the weekend and very impressed that she is keeping the small bed in front of her house looking good.  This is the first time she has shown an interest.  Wish I lived nearer to her to give her a bit more advice. 

The other daughter recently moved house and inherited a lovely garden but I don't think either she or my son in law will keep it nice unfortunately, just lack the interest in anything but mowing the lawn!  They live quite close by but I don't really want to weed their large patch as well as my own!

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:01:43 PM »
We have lovely neighbours living next door with a larger garden than ours but absolutely no interest in garden. Fortunately they do keep the lawns mowed and chop away at the shrubs now and then but it is just a chore to them. Sad isn`t it?  :(

firenze

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:09:32 PM »
Yes it is sad Rita that some have no  value of the greenness of trees as they are today, the early Chestnut candles and the lovely flowers popping open.  Today I notice the long life geraniums the rock rose are amongst my first after the ever faithful...lobelia! I nearly forgot another name :o

Mark Twain.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Harvested the first cucumbers, lettuce, spring onions, rhubarb and potatoes a big thank you to bountiful mother nature! Looks as though this is going to be the best year  for a very long time. The melons are only the size of peas.
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »
Enjoy your crop, Avalon.  :) :-*

Phil

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
The melons are only the size of peas.

Sounds like my first wife.

Lol !!  :D
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Citizen68

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
Avalon, I have a cutting I want to strike. Am I right that the old lore says plant it on a waxing moon?

firenze

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 11:29:11 AM »
A gardener I call myself!  If it grows I did it right, I just split the stalk and bung cuttings in I hope  ::) and am surprised if they take.  My Pa Split and dipped into something usualy at pruning time.  I'll eat my hat if gardener Avalon bothers with the moon.  I hate eating hats ;D

Mark Twain.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 01:10:28 PM »
Avalon, I have a cutting I want to strike. Am I right that the old lore says plant it on a waxing moon?

The TUC would know more about striking than I  ::) However almost all plants can be stuck from semi ripe cuttings from the middle of April to the middle of August.
You need hygiene, luck a loose areated slightlu acid compost and a steady temperature and a zip seal plastic bag and avoid salt in the compost/growing media. Two exceptions = Berberis Darwinii and HT roses, these can be taken form seeds or half-cut layering.

The most fool proof way to get someone to eat a hat is to do your planting in your birthday suit in the period of two days either side of the full moon, I should know I am a moonraker but remember gentlemen down cast yer eyes to save the ladies blushes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-* :-*
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

firenze

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 03:57:56 PM »
Moonraker are you?  you got too much of the brandy  ;D and not enough of the green cheese.  :-*

Mark Twain.