Author Topic: How does your garden grow!  (Read 16836 times)

avalonmpk2

Re: How does your garden grow!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 05:08:33 PM »
Yes Wiltshire born and bred, my family has lived in and around my village for well over two hundred years - DNA can be traced back thousands.
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Citizen68

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
Thanks, Avalon, will give it a go.  :)

avalonmpk2

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:17 PM »
Thanks, Avalon, will give it a go.  :)

You did not say what the plant was that you are seeking to propagate.
Richard Lovelace

Citizen68

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 11:37:54 PM »
Avalon, it is a rose but don't ask me what variety.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »
Try this book:   The Rose Expert    by  Dr D.G.Hessayon     ISBN 0 903505 14 2    PBI Publications.

It is a very good and simple to follow informative book, I've had mine for 35  years.

You should be able to get a good secondhand copy for about £1.50 or try your local library.
Richard Lovelace

Citizen68

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »
Avalon, I remember it! Don't have it now, but I will try and get a copy again. Thanks for a further bit of invaluable advice.

stellamaris

« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
Just thought I would pop in quickly to share with you my joy at my brand new garden hoe  ;D ;D

It is a Moulten Mill long handled 3-edged hoe and different to any hoe I have had before.  It looks a bit like a small stainless steel tomahawk and is very sharp on all edges.  I used it to finish off all the blue and white bells that grow more invasive by the year, and any weeds that dared show their heads.  All this with hardly any movement by me and definitely no effort.  I love it.  And because it had lost its plastic cover and was the last one they had, I got a discount of £4. Joy, oh joy.

I am now looking for a scuffle hoe, which seems popular in America - has anyone used one of those? Its a Ho! Ho! world for me at the moment  ::)  so any garden tool stories would be welcome.

Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Rose cottage

« Reply #22 on: Jun 02, 2015, 06:21:43 AM »
Listening to Gardeners' Question Time recently the advice was given to sharpen the edge of your hoe to more efficiently cut weeds just below surface level.  Only two in the audience claimed to have done this but all the experts agreed it was necessary.  Don't hoe myself but hand weed enthusiastically!

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #23 on: Jun 06, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
Hope you have been giving that hoe a sturdy work out Stellamaris.  :D Have not used a hoe since we gave our allotment up some years ago (pressures of work) I too enjoy hand weeding, so long as the weather is kind! I have never heard of your American version snd don`t know what it looks like or what difference it makes.
Didn`t know you were looking for a copy of that rose book, there was a whole series of those "expert" books and I don`t know if they are still in print, all the garden centers in our area used to stock them, as well as that one we also have the "tree and shrub" one and the "vegetable and herb" one, the flower one disappeared so I feel we must have lent it to someone who "forgot" to return it! As Avalon says, they are very easy to understand and yet comprehensive, I will keep my eyes open and see if the G. centers still stock them as they are quite old now.  :) :-*
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Citizen68

« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »
Avalon, Rita, have got a copy of Dr. Essayon's Rose Expert book today, on sale by the till with a whole series of 'expert' books (many by Dr. Essayon) at our local Wyevale garden centre!

Phil

« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »
Just thought I would pop in quickly to share with you my joy at my brand new garden hoe  ;D ;D

Its a Ho! Ho! world for me at the moment  ::)  so any garden tool stories would be welcome.

Wouldn't it be be more appropriate to buy these items at Xmas time?

:D

http://www.edged-arts.co.uk/scuffle-hoe-rogue-hoes-usa-rh60s-professional-smallholding-allotment

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Phil

« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2015, 10:26:05 AM »
As someone with little interest in gardens I'm quite proud of myself.

Although I mow the lawn I have to admit I never do the edges near to the fences.

A couple of days ago I fitted some solar powered led lights that fit on the bottom rail of the fences but they just drew attention to the long grass & weeds at the bottom of the fence so yesterday I bought a cordless strimmer & now the garden looks really tidy.

We'll probably fit a few hanging baskets to the top fence rail which my wife will enjoy looking after but will be easy for her.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

avalonmpk2

« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
Phil that's not gardening, that is poncing in the garden. Ive just spent the morning walking numerous times up to the local riding stable to collect manure that's real gardening! HO! HO ! ;D
Richard Lovelace

Phil

« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
Phil that's not gardening, that is poncing in the garden. Ive just spent the morning walking numerous times up to the local riding stable to collect manure that's real gardening! HO! HO ! ;D

Hi Avalon,

I've had enough of it in my life without going to any stables to actively seek it out.  :D

I won't ever be a gardener nor claim to be, but I'm making the effort to at least keep the garden tidy & to give it some features because I know that's what my wife wants, despite the fact she's always told me that I don't have to do it if I don't want to.

:)

avalonmpk2

« Reply #29 on: Jun 07, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »
The things us poor fellows will do for the love of a good woman!
Richard Lovelace