Author Topic: Thank you for the music...or not?  (Read 2695 times)

zoony

Thank you for the music...or not?
« on: Aug 07, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
So sad to see this hobby site so empty and unused..I believe that quite a few of us here either play or have played an instrument or two..if it's only a kazoo!...How about sharing why you learned, when you learned, maybe who taught you and how useful or not it's been at odd times to be able to play or sing?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

cheddar-caveman

Re: Thank you for the music...or not?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »
As I said before zone, a real live spark on here! Us oldies aren't used to all this hustle and bustle! Instruments? When Acker Bilk had Stranger on the Shore I bought a clarinet and could play that tune within a couple of weeks. Had a Skiffle group back in the 50's when I joined the Navy, thanks to Lonnie Donegan. Now still "play" with the guitar now and then when the mood takes me, Go at it for a few weeks to get the finger hard again and then usually out it away for months! Used to have a small electric organ, played a few gigs while overseas in Brit Clubs and the like.
That'll do!  8)
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
Hustle and Bustle??..Surely not!..Thanks for that C-C, sounds like you at least have an ear...Had a Filipino friend once upon a time who decided to teach himself clarinet...Unfortunately he started when we were on a fishing trip..on a boat..No way of getting out of the way of it. Only funny in retrospect and certainly didn't impress the salmon. Taught myself to 'play' piano at one time but, even though my right and left hands co-ordinate well on guitar, they didn't with the piano...though having said that, my version of 'Desperado' (Eagles) was tolerable.

cowboy wisdom.

Fred Smiff

« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »
I paid for multiple lessons on the air guitar , ......couldn't get the hang of it ! :'(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
 ;D ..Very funny Fred. Amazing how that caught on and how good at it some folk are!..If they'd spent the same number of hours learning the real thing they'd've pulled a lot more lasses I think. ;)

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »
I learnt to play the piano when I was a schoolgirl, but at home not in the classroom. Gave the lessons up when the 'O' levels started. Now I play the laptop keyboard!
The mention of not being able to get away from someone learning to play an instrument, brought back a memory: at one time the house I lived in was opposite farm land. We used to see a fellow out in the middle of one of the fields practising the bagpipes. Do you reckon his mother had turfed him out of the house, or his wife?  ;D 

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2015, 10:28:58 PM »
 ;D Hi citizen..Such a shame that you don't play anymore...Me either, well, not any purpose..My old guitar is looking at me as I write!..Very judgmental things, old instruments.
As far as the piper is concerned..I met a man in Alaska who used to march up and down the breakwater piping away (quite beautifully as it goes) we got chatting over a beer and he told me that it's traditional for pipers to march as they play, rather than sit or stand in one place. Perhaps that's why the chap was in the field? If he was moving that is. Must say, I have some sympathy for people who live with, next to, under or above a piper in full flow...a Pibroch does go on rather!

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
zoony, good point. As I recall this chap was standing still, but I only had a glimpse of his practice.
Used to have someone in the house who played in a pipe band as a drummer, and sat for hours practising twirling the drumsticks. That drove you mad after a while!!

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
Perhaps a career with KFC was on the horizon ;D

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »
 ;D

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
Many years ago we lived one door away from a Scottish bagpiper player and I certainly would have turfed HIM out!  ::) :-*
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Coastal

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2017, 12:27:41 AM »
Are there any keyboard players out there, I have been toying with the idea of getting one, I can't play, the two I was considering are a Casio CTK-6200 and a Yamaha PSRE353 (both around £160) any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
I had a double keyboard electric organ many many years ago, taught myself to play well enough to play at a local club (where luckily most people were "in spirit"). I believe that any of these modern keyboards are very good with teaching features so just buy one and have a go!
Been given a Banjo for my 75th so trying to come to terms with that now!

Played in a Skiffle group when I joined the navy back in the 50's, lot of fun. Always dabbled but never got good ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625