Author Topic: Anybody ID this plant please?  (Read 4742 times)

franden

Re: Anybody ID this plant please?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »

I have just seen this plant and maybe I am far too late with the reply but this is a Himalayan Balsam.
It is a very intrusive weed that is almost impossible to get rid of. It usually grows in damp areas like river banks. We have problems with this plant at our local nature reserve. They have tried weed killer, burning, digging them out but they still come back and spread everywhere. The flowers are very pretty going from red through pink to white. Don't ever take a bit home and plant in the garden as it will take over and you will not get rid of it.

Beannie

« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »
It's pretty enough to make someone take it home isn't it . I don't like it when people pinch plants from nature reserves etc etc I know one year the bluebells were demolished from a Lincolnshire reserve and it's sad really I think . They would be sorry if they pinch this one Franden . By the way that's a really beautiful picture of you both xxxxxxxx

franden

« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »
Hi Beannie.
As I have said if anyone takes a bit of this 'pretty plant' home and plants it in their garden they will regret it.
As for bluebells and wild daffodils it looks as though we are losing these as well. The Spanish bluebell, which is slightly bigger than our own native flower is slowly taking over and cultivated daffodils are replacing our own wild type which is much smaller. However there are areas where our own species are replacing the foreign types by groups of volunteers. Along some of our road verges they are taking out the larger cultivated daffodils and replacing them with our own native type.

Beannie

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
Hi Beannie.
As I have said if anyone takes a bit of this 'pretty plant' home and plants it in their garden they will regret it.
As for bluebells and wild daffodils it looks as though we are losing these as well. The Spanish bluebell, which is slightly bigger than our own native flower is slowly taking over and cultivated daffodils are replacing our own wild type which is much smaller. However there are areas where our own species are replacing the foreign types by groups of volunteers. Along some of our road verges they are taking out the larger cultivated daffodils and replacing them with our own native type.

A massive big cheer for those volunteers Franden they sound wonderful xxx

granny moss

« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »
No. I did not think to ask the name. But over the years, many different plants grew in our garden, that we did not seed or plant.Some were quite beautiful Once, a Royal ? white lily grew, and it had 5 blooms ! and it was beautiful. It just vanished....So did the other mistery plants. They grew, they flowered and then disappeared ! ! The tree very old lilacs, one deep purple, one light, and one white, were uprooted by the 1978 ? typhoon....but my husband (Micky) and I, lifted them upright and shoved and pushed the old roots back into the ground....and they are still floweryng ! ! They have masses of blooms. I truly love flowers. All of them !But I am not a gardener, because I know nothing about their cultivation and needs. I love weeding ! I do ! So relaxing and rewarding. But my very first go at weeding, some years back, was a disaster...My husband planted amongst the roses, pinks.  I started weeding and I thought they were weeds.....so, I just pulled up and put them in the compost.....gm x