Author Topic: Good morning Pensioners  (Read 2153 times)

Hugh

Good morning Pensioners
« on: Jul 11, 2010, 08:50:55 AM »
Good morning all pensioners and guests Its a beautiful sunny morning once again in Mansfield. It would be rather nice once in a while to get a return greeting, its quite easy to just press a few keys. As I have said before I am a member of a forces reunited forum  which the rules are quite simple no serious discussions. Far from it being boring members are joining and staying and there is always some one on line to talk to. Every one uses their own christion name and why not I do on here. I am going to clock off now but will stay a round and post should pensioners wish to make this forum work for us. Over to you.

shonnalee

Re: Good morning Pensioners
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »
Good Afternoon Hugh, hope your well. I have been on this site a little while now and enjoy it though not posted many messages as I have been listening/reading to become educated as to all topics first, quite amazing info. I retired 2 years ago though kept busy with voluntary work until recently, recently I find I want some time for me.
Your good morning message caught my eye...so I  thought  I would reply, thank you. hope to speak to you soon.
Shonna

Hugh

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »
Hello Shonnalalee great hearing from you I hope you start posting which will also encourage others to join in. There are very few active members at the moment and if we stayed away from politics and other topics of this type our numbers could well increase. You are just a few years younger me just at the age when I started enjoying scuba diving. Have you found any thing of interest to do  apart from voluntary work, now you have retired and have plenty of time. 
What kind of voluntary work have you been doing ?
                                   Cheers Hugh

Hugh

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
Hi Shonnalee Just been looking at your profile and read your earlier posts. Sorry to see you have had such an hard life. I should have done this first before answering your post, silly old fool me. I expect there are other pensioners like your self trying to make ends meet on the state pension and how you manage it, its beyond me.
PS you are much younger than me sorry.

avalonmpk

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »
Hi Hugh
Do they still make the best shoes in the world in your part of the world - not been over that way since the 70's what I do remember is the great craftsmen in that part of the world who like me had served REAL apprenticeships mine was seven years 14-21, and started on 48 hours a week perhaps some of the the contributors out there wold care to equate that to retiring later now that the 'working' week is so much shorter and holidays & Bank holidays so many days later greater.

On another point I recently went to visit my youngest granddaughter way over in Bedfordshire by bus on a circular trip taking in seven counties met pensioners from various parts of the country doing similar things only one moan the condition of toilets at bus stations - sorry two - mobile phones.

Pensioners - Its just great to be alive - we will be a B........ long time dead No offence intended I'm going to be recycled and have a walnut tree planted over me!!!

Hugh

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »
Hi Avalonmpk
                    No the shoe factory closed years ago like every thing else made in China which is a real shame. To think all the craftsmen we have lost.
                    The pensioners country wide bus pass was a good idea by new labour although round here. being a labour strong hold, think its in for the chop, just have to wait and see on that one.
                    Got to admit I am really enjoying retirement and hope I live to a grand old age to enjoy it.
                    I really feel sorry for the people who have worked all their lives but through no fault of their own been unable to save for retirement. I was in the forces for 22 years so I have 2 pensions plus serps.
                    I like that idea of having a tree planted over my grave I guess we would make good bone meal.

avalonmpk

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »
Hugh: I was born in Tidworth, that should explain my attitude to life.

Hugh

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
Hugh: I was born in Tidworth, that should explain my attitude to life.

Your attitude to life is more or less the same as mine. There are some where through no fault of their own, cards have been stacked against them, where more help should be given. But people who just moan, groan and winge just for the sake of it get right up my nose.

May be I am a bit thick but why should being born in Tidworth explain any thing to me?????

shonnalee

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
HI
How you all doing, having a good day I hope.
I just finished decorating my bedroom and love it.
gonna go dig up some of my spuds now out of the garden.
hope your keeping busy and active.
I got my grandson going to stay over tonight he is 6 and loads of fun, we do lego,
reading and drawing.
speak soon, nice to hear from you all
Shonna ;D

shonnalee

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
P.S. Wheres Mansfield Hugh ??

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »
Hi Shonna
I live in Rainworth 4 miles south of Mansfield 14 Miles North of Nottinghham. I keep very busy Shonna up at 0600 and 0715 I walk to Mansfield and have an hour in the GYM or swimming pool. It may sound expensive going to a private Gym  but it cost me less than £4 a week off peak pensioners membership which is 0830 till 1630 week days and all week ends and bank holidays.  I don't smoke or drink apart from on holidays I even save money on hot water because I always have a nice long hot shower before catching the bus home.
I do have a garden to look after and one third of which to grow veg, potatoes carrots onions beetroot and some greens. The rest of the garden is for wild life lawn surrounded by flowers and shrubs plenty of nesting sites for wild birds.
Yes I am having a great life in retirement and really enjoying it.