Author Topic: I've found a new series of books ...  (Read 6209 times)

Granny49

Re: I've found a new series of books ...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »
It could be a spy thriller zoony :o.  Perhaps he was double-O-three and a half :).  He certainly mysteriously disappeared on a boat somewhere between the Hook of Holland and Hull.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
Sounds like a good ghost story 49. As a matter of fact, the short story I'm working on at the moment is called 'The Last Teddy'. :o
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »
Granny49, zoony, if you had an 'original' Noddy book you'd have to hide it in the attic now as it's non-PC.

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:58:55 PM »
Don't get me started 68! >:(

cowboy wisdom.

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
I'm still working my way through the Poldark series again, on book 12 at the moment, and enjoying every page! Not sure what I'll read next so ideas are most welcome.

Here you go C-C. Had a look on my book shelves for you and recommend a hugely enjoyable 18thC tale by Robert Goddard called 'Sea Change'.

cowboy wisdom.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks zoony, I'll give it a go once I finish the Poldarks which I am thoroughly enjoying!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Coastal

« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2015, 11:32:15 PM »
I like a good book but I don't like to work too hard, one of the best is Dick Francis (any of them), or the Parish and Richards series by Tim Ellis (currently on book 13), DCI Banks by Peter Robinson (read 18 so far), and the series of books about Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich, I would thoroughly recommend any of these.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

zoony

« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:02:29 AM »
Anybody for Bill Bryson? Notes From A Small Island, Neither Here Nor There, A Walk In The Woods? For all of you who're interested in language development in the USA,  Made in America is a fascinating look at how 15th/16thC English usage is unconsciously preserved and used. More than that it's a really funny and interesting, not to mention deeply researched, piece of work. Anybody who thinks Columbus discovered America should read this. One of my favourite writers.

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2015, 04:15:16 AM »
zoony, did you know Bill Bryson has a new book out?

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
Good morning 68. No, I didn't. Do you know what it's called?

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
I am constantly searching for new authors.  Sadly most established authors seem to get very formulaic and predictable after the first few successes, so  I go off them.  I was in the library last Saturday and spied a Stephen King (Revival).  I have never read him, put off by the 'horror' label, but I decided to take the plunge.  I am about half way through its 389 pages at present, but where is the horror, the suspense?  It is the story of a mans life and his relationship with an odd inventor and I like the writing style, so am sticking with it, but am so far very disappointed at how tame it is.  Any one on here a Stephen King addict?

I used to like Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe) because his works were actioneers from the first page and I have a collection of his hardbacks.  I loved the grittiness of his Sharpe novels until they got predictable and when it was televised the writing quality dropped off a cliff.  Nevertheless he wrote some stirring stuff in other series and I loved his take on the Arthurian legend and that newly televised series about King Alfred.  I had missed out on the last book in the series, but discovered that in the library at the last visit too.  I don't know if anyone is watching 'The Last Kingdom' on TV, but within the constraints of The TV screen, CGI  and our understanding of events, I think they have done a pretty passable job.  Insufficient gore, mutilation and middle ages filth it is true, but if the times were depicted accurately, would anyone watch?

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Xetog. I'm watching 'The Last Kingdom'. Not very impressed by the first episode but it's warmed up quite well. Re; Stephen King, I think he got a bit fed up of the 'horror' label, he was always more of a fantasist with a bit of horror thrown in here and there. 'The Green Mile is more representative I think.

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
Zoony.  I have seen some Stephen King films including The Green Mile, but would describe them as intriguing rather than horror. As for The Last Kingdom, they have 'bent' the story a little for TV, always a bad sign and the main characters are a bit too pretty.  The hero would not have been such a slight build and would have been much hairier and dirtier. etc etc etc.  I did think Matthew Macfaddyan came to an appropriately grisly end though!

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »
I too was glad to see the end of him. Always irritating when an actor thinks it's enough to just muss up his modern haircut to portray a character.

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
zoony, sorry, a significant display in the bookshop but didn't note the title. You may find it as prominently marketed at the monent if you are in town?
xetog, I am also reading 'Revival': I have a theory how it is going to progress, and it says it is his most horrific ending yet, so persevere!!