Author Topic: I've found a new series of books ...  (Read 6208 times)

zoony

Re: I've found a new series of books ...
« Reply #30 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
Thanks 68. I rarely go to town so I'll do as I often do and buy a used copy on Amazon. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #31 on: Nov 06, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
I think you will find that the new Bill Bryson book is called The Road to Little Dribblng-More Notes from a Small Island.  I have all his previous books except One Summer-America 1927.  I am afraid his new book has met with less than critical acclaim, I think because he has now lived here so long that he has himself become a British institution.  This makes him think that hhe now has license to criticise, which as a foreigner of course, he doesn't.

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2015, 02:18:40 PM »
Thanks xetog, I'd actually just looked it up. :)

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »
 ... zoony, and I have just looked it up in town for you. It is indeed as xetog says, titlewise, it seems to be newly out in hardback so don't know if you will get a used copy anytime soon?

zoony

« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2015, 05:05:27 PM »
Oh, I'm in no hurry 68. Always happy to wait and get a hardback copy in good nick for a fiver or so. Unwanted Christmas gifts are always good buys. Thank you for bothering to check for me, you're very kind. :-*

cowboy wisdom.

Granny49

« Reply #35 on: Nov 07, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
... one of the best is Dick Francis (any of them)

I love his books Coastal and admire all the research that has gone into them.  As you say they are not a difficult read so they are some of the books I reread when I feel the need of a bit of cossetting.

I am not so keen on his sons writing though although I am still getting them so far.  It has made me realise that Dick Francis writes very short sentences which make his books quite pacy.  Oh to be able to write short, succinct but concise sentences. ::)
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

firenze

« Reply #36 on: Nov 07, 2015, 05:52:58 PM »
Your input here is good for me just now i am grateful for them.  I read half the night so get through a lot.  Lately most finish on the floor after a few pages, the conclusion being if not caught by the writing I won't be later.
     A stringing of words with no inkling of a story to come is a turn off.  I shall try your Dick Francis G49 plus the reminders others mention which I had forgotten.
My library kindly offer me any new books, the most recent was the Dawn French offering, sadly not for me!

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.