Author Topic: At last  (Read 1840 times)

xetog

At last
« on: Nov 07, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
Many on this forum will remember my post about awaiting a skin cancer operation and having it cancelled several times. I promised to let you know when I finally had a date. I am not going to reel off all the figures, but I reported it to my GP on 1st May and was told that I must be operated on within 8 weeks.  On Thursday, 29 weeks after the cancer was reported, I am at last scheduled for surgery.  Even at the last minute they have put the appointment back 2 hours!

The cancer is a non-melanoma, but it does have a small risk of metastasizing.  Over the 7 months it has grown substantially and has now invaded my lip, so the surgery is going to be far more extensive than it would have been 5 months ago and I am going to loose a substantial part of my lower lip which is going to be painful (unimportant), inconvenient and potentially disfiguring.

If I had realised that the NHS was gong to serve me so badly I would have had it done privately, but it certainly seems that if you are old, you don't matter to the NHS anymore.

Mike
The mind is like a parachute, it works best when it is open.

sarahbilly 1

Re: At last
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
I may have mentioned before, when I finished work at Sizewell, 92/93. I had a sore on my cheek which would rise an fall and bleed regularly,  my gp said he would arrange hospital appointment to have it seen to urgently, still haven't heard from them?  however after some months it cleared up. think he called it a rodent ulcer.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
So sorry to hear that Mike. I do remember your post and my reply to it about going private in the first place, which was probably a bit simplistic and not constructive after the fact. Sincerely hope you finally get it sorted properly. :)
[email protected]

Dying isn't the worst thing that can happen. Being kept alive is.
A Freudian slip: When you say one thing but mean your mother.

stellamaris

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »
Mike, thank goodness you have a date at last, and I agree about the vagaries of the NHS.  Is the date imminent, so we can all send our winning vibes to you around the right time?   After being passed about so much, my main hope for you is that you now get the excellent parts of the NHS in the form of your surgery.  My very, very best wishes to you and a bad taste joke as well.  Keep on keeping a stiff upper lip.

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »
good luck xetog, and speedy recovery.

Fred Smiff

« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
Best wishes from me too mate  ;)

xetog

« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
Stellamaris.  The date is next Thursday 12th November.  I hate to be pessimistic, but My treatment by the NHS over the past 5years has been disastrous.  I lost the use of a kidney, due once more to unacceptable delays, I had two operations that had to be redone because they were botched, another BCC removal which split and had to be redone, all in that period.  So you will pardon me if I do not look forward to a happy outcome.

For the first 65 years of my life I had such wonderful treatment, which makes me wonder why it is so bad now?  I have always been a glass half full kind of guy, but now when the NHS is concerned, I dread having to make contact.

Thanks everyone else for your good wishes.

Mike

stellamaris

« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »
Mike, I could weep for you. You have had such a bad time.  There's no point in trying to cheer you and pessimism can be a way of acceptance in medical matters.  But all is not done yet, this is a different surgery and hopefully with different surgeons.  I once ended up in a maxillofacial oncology ward because there was no room anywhere else.  It was the oldest part of the hospital, spotless but really shabby, and it was inspirational.  They were performing daily miracles.   Everyone was dedicated to their patients  and all the medics seemed like a different breed. You don't need to answer this, but keep us informed as you go along if you feel like it.  I'm going for the full feet treatment on the 12th so it will be easy for me to think about you.

firenze

« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »
Xetog...I'm so sorry, I had noted your posts were with an unusual lack of your usual good vibes, this is a big rock you face but if good thoughts will pull you over it I reckon you have them in abundance from your friends  :-*
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
Hope all goes well on Thursday, sure it will! Good luck ;)
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
[email protected]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/255625

Johned

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2015, 08:45:46 PM »
I pray all goes well with you xetog.

Citizen68

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2015, 12:18:48 AM »
dear xetog, all the very best for the op and let us know how you get on, when you feel like it.

xetog

« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »
Thanks for all the good wishes yet again.  I have never been depressed in my life and would hesitate to describe myself in that way now.  It is just that this run of bad treatment is really grinding me down.  Does anyone else find that they simply can't get the medics to listen to what they are saying?  I will do my best to snap out of it for all our sakes.

Mike

Granny49

« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:13:52 AM »
I am sorry I missed this xetog but my best wishes go with you too.

I am not surprised you are feeling a little down.  Going to hospital makes up feel less in control than usual and the way they have behaved seems almost cruel.  Take care and cosset yourself so that you recover as quickly as possible.

Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
Agree that today's treatment quality in the NHS has dropped of drastically over the years, simply due to overload and under funding. A neck problem has been ongoing for more than a year now with monthly (if I'm lucky) visits to the physio department. It took six months to get them to take an X-ray to see if there was any underlying problem, which came back OK and now, another six months on they're going to try Acupuncture! Bit apprehensive about this, anybody had it?
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
[email protected]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/255625