Author Topic: New to this board  (Read 5386 times)

xetog

New to this board
« on: Dec 06, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
After over 5000 posts I am about to stick my nose in on this one.  Having retired in 2007 with the ambition to try a range of hobbies, I am about to get around to painting.  It has been in my mind for some years, but other events like downsizing have soaked up those hours I thought might be applied to putting paint to paper.  I have always been an avid DIY'er as I love to use my hands (perhaps as a reaction to a profession where brainpower was the driver), but at school my best subjects were always English and drawing.  I did go to college in an attempt to become a technical illustrator, but never used the skills in anger.  I have always written things and have put a few of my rather poor efforts in our Creative writing section, so that is one ambition achieved, painting is another.

I taught my daughter to draw and paint and she is now an avid oil painter, but I dropped the interest at least 30 years ago and have a fear that my ageing facilities might not meet my expectations.  Yesterday, with some of the money that the kids sent for my birthday in November (73 now) I purchased a big box of artists materials.  It includes a wide range from oils and acrylics, thro' watercolours, pastilles and coloured pencils, so quite a  range from which to choose.

Now I have to get my skills back if possible.  I intend to begin by sketching, but I wondered if anyone else has gone through this dilemma and if there are any sage words of advice from which I might benefit?

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Granny49

Re: New to this board
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
Good luck to you with this new venture xetog.  One of the good things about being retired is we can spend the time that is needed on the things that really matter. :)
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

firenze

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »
Yes xetog I did try paint, mainly encouraged  by my neighbour.  He was a sign writer of note who had also taught - he had picture painting talent, we used to get together and paint. His wife was disinterested and unfortunately he became ill.
     I contine to be talentless but I will paint at the drop of a hat.  Rita set me off again with crayoning and I do a little late at night it's very relaxing.  I keep things to copy, you will be halfway there if you draw!  He started me on copying anything, even a jigsaw picture. It helps with colours.  I await results.

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

xetog

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
One of the great thinks about the internet is that it has an endless supply of things to draw.  I used to have a friend who would go off every year for a couple of weeks just to spend time drawing and sketching.  He had some like minded friends and would come back loaded with wonderful detailed sketched of things he has seen.  He was always on at me to join them, but I never felt I had the time.

Mike

Taxedtothehilt

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2015, 02:54:14 PM »
I think that Artists are born with the ability to put a drawing or sketch onto paper. It isn't a skill that can be taught in my opinion in the same way as good football players seem to have that skill bred into them from day one. I have great admiration for these artists who can put a portrait, landscape or any sort of scene for that matter onto paper or canvas, even some of the graffiti that seems to adorn our cities and towns is very skilfully done.
Sadly it is a skill that I do not possess, I will stick with my photography.
Don't worry about people who don't like you, just care about the ones that love you.

Phil

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
One of the good things about being retired is we can spend the time that is needed on the things that really matter. :)

That's why I asked for advice about babydoll nighties.

;D
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Taxedtothehilt

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »
You thinking of wearing one then Phil   :o
Don't worry about people who don't like you, just care about the ones that love you.

Phil

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
You thinking of wearing one then Phil   :o

Hmm, there's an idea.

I'll see what she thinks about it.

On second thoughts probably not as they're chiffon & I prefer the feel of silk.

:P
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Citizen68

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:45:41 PM »
xetog, I wish you every success with your drawing and painting venture. My O/H was looking forward to taking this up when he retired, regrettably other things intervened and he never really got started, which was a great pity. I am not suggesting anything is going to happen to you, only saying take the opportunity if you can while it offers, and don't miss out.

xetog

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »
Thanks C68, I am busy assembling all the other paraphernalia I need and ideas for my first project.

Mike

xetog

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »
Just had another thought!  I have managed to locate one of those artists berets, the type that flops down over one ear and am looking for  a smock.  When I told my wife I thought I might look for a muse, she collapsed laughing.  I don't somehow think she is taking this seriously.  It is surprising how laughter can dampen a chaps enthusiasm.

Anyway, I am about to start bashing out our garage roof so that I can get some northlight and chucking out all the DIY kit to make a studio.  This could take over my life ☺

Mike

Glazer

« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »
Hi Xetog, just noticed this thread.
My advice would be  that anything you put onto paper/canvas, do it for yourself and not for anyone else.  Although I suppose we are our own fiercest critics.  If it pleases you, then it has been a success.
Two dimensional art will expand your everyday awareness.  By that what I mean is that most of us look but don't really see!
For example, pick up a pencil/pen and now draw a..oh, I don't know...a kangaroo.   We all can recognize a kangaroo but what do they actually look like?
If several of us forumites now picked up a pen and took a minute or so to draw a kangaroo, there would be as many different styles of the animal depicted as there are forumites, but each would probably look like a kangaroo.   So art (if nothing else) helps us to see things a little more thoroughly.
I have been a professional artist for most of my working life, and have never seen a bad attempt at art.
Don't think about it...Do it, would be my advice.

firenze

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Wow xetog you will look like Rembrant ;D 

Loved Glazer post an experienced artist brilliant!  I see gorgeous scenes and wish I could, I search for a flash of genius often and wish I had it.  My mistake must be I need to look like an artist first ???
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »
HahHah...Oh Firenze,,NOT SO!...You reminded me of the many performers I've seen that really look the part but couldn't entertain a thought. Just like the number of musicians with expensive, top of the line instruments but really didn't play very well at all. In fact, I've had more sympathy for the lovely instrument than the ego-tripper abusing it.
Xetog, love the idea of the beret and smock, can't imagine why your wife would be helpless with laughter!I'm thinking Tony Hancock...
Glazer, you're so very right. Them as can, do. Them as can't become critics. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Beannie

« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2015, 07:24:15 AM »
Just had another thought!  I have managed to locate one of those artists berets, the type that flops down over one ear and am looking for  a smock.  When I told my wife I thought I might look for a muse, she collapsed laughing.  I don't somehow think she is taking this seriously.  It is surprising how laughter can dampen a chaps enthusiasm.

Anyway, I am about to start bashing out our garage roof so that I can get some northlight and chucking out all the DIY kit to make a studio.  This could take over my life ☺

Mike

Mike hahahahaha I really like your wife hahahahaha she might have been laughing at something else eeeeeeek hehehehe

Firenze , are you watching landscape artists at the moment . I won't ask mike because he is posing in front of his wife most of the time teehee