Author Topic: Welcome New Lady  (Read 4213 times)

Hugh

Re: Welcome New Lady
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
Yes it is true you are never to old to try some new Caminito, it keeps you young. In my case it was scuba diving never dreamed I could learn and enjoy it at the age of 66. To dive and enjoy the company of sharks was really some thing special. Really looking forward to diving with them again in May. 71 and still looking forward to new adventures.

caminito

« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:10:26 PM »
Hi Hugh
So sorry to hear of your delayed op. I had two ops last year .One in Spain and one in the UK. The first was an emergency but waiting for the second one here in the UK ( 3 months) was awful .
Learning to scuba dive at 66 yrs is awesome ! Well done . Life in the old dog yet  ;D

When I was a young engineer in the late sixties , one of the guys I was working with , was an ex British Royal Navy Frogman. He had served with Lionel "Buster" Crabb , just before Buster was recruited by MI6 to dive in Portsmouth Harbour and investigate the propeller of the Soviet Cruiser "Ordzhonikdze" . If you rember ,the ship carried Nikita Krushev & Nikolai Buganin to a conference in the UK.
Buster disappeared . A headless, handless body was found about 16 months later which was said to be his body ( no DNA then

This guy I worked with lent me the American Navy divers manual . A whole section was about "shark attacks" .Where, when why etc.
Time of day ,water temperature etc.
It must have effected me reading all these accounts because whenever I swam in the sea in places like Florida , west indies ,  far east etc. I was very nervous.  So , swim with the sharks ....no thanks .... I'll have a glass of red wine and relax on the sunbed  and watch the "beautiful people" stroll by ! ::)

Hugh

« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:32:09 PM »
Hi Caminito learning to scuba dive at 66 or 70 for that matter is no big deal. I would have missed out if it hadn't been for a young lady called Suzi who told me I wasn't to old. It brought a new life into my years of retirement. Sharks have a bad reputation through no fault of their own. Nearly all shark attacks are by mistake because we are just not on their menu sheet. My first dive with sharks my heart was thumping ten to the dozen and I believe sharks can sense this and come to investigate which allowed me to see a large bull shark and 5 metre long Tigershark within one metre both at the same time. A marvelous experience which is unlikely to ever happen again.
The centre I was diving with was Roland of African Dive Adventure. He as a good web sight should you be interested.

caminito

« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »
My mate said that he would give an arm and a leg to go swimming with the sharks   ;D

Chrisjay

« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
Well that made me smile  :)

Hugh

« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »
My mate said that he would give an arm and a leg to go swimming with the sharks   ;D

HA HA

Hugh

« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »

HA HA

I guess it does cost arm and a leg.

caminito

« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
good day Hugh
Saw this article in the papers today .
I'll stick to the sunbed on holiday !

A shy hero who grabbed a shark's tail and pulled it from a young woman diver as her blood filled the water said today: 'All I want is the girl to be OK.'

The man declined to give his name or speak further about his courageous actions, but other divers said he had probably saved 19-year-old Elyse Frankcom's life after the 12ft shark had bitten into her hip.

As she sank to the bottom of the sea, off the coast of Western Australia, the anonymous snorkeller grabbed the shark's tail and pulled it until it let go and swam away.

Frank Pisani, senior skipper for Fremantle Sea Rescue, said the attack by the unidentified shark south of Perth could have been fatal had it not been for the actions of the snorkeller.

'It had brushed him aside - and he's a fairly large male - as it attacked the young woman. So he grabbed its tail and this caused the shark to swim away.

'The girl then started to sink to the bottom and he grabbed her and brought her to the surface and got her back onboard the cruise boat she had been on.

'She was suffering from very deep and wide puncture wounds but it could have been worse had it not been for the actions of this man.'

Hugh

« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:07:33 PM »
I also sure that story in the metro what a load of crap and gives sharks a bad name.

Facts if it had been a great white there would be no bite marks just a body part missing.                                                                                                                                                      Accidents do happen with Great whites they attack from below and could have been after a dolphin.

The young lady had surgery to remove frgments of sharks teeth removed from her body. Certainly wouldn't be great whites that for sure.

The shark brushed pass him to get to her a very fishy story to me.

She got bit by some thing but a shark makes a better story.