Author Topic: hearing aids,  (Read 13054 times)

Alfred

hearing aids,
« on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:05:34 AM »
Some years ago my wife went to our local doctor, who in turn  and after a few checks,  sent her to hospital, where more checks and tests were carried out, eventually she was supplied with an hearing aid,  (she only needed the one,)

The hearing aid itself was very very, small, and very neat, too,  which came in a variety of colours, (I assume to match the hair colour ) well she was very pleased with it, and even when the batteries run out, she can get them replaced from a local pharmacist, the one recommended by the hospital,

The test at the hospital was superb, and very thorough, and the test was very accurate too,. The hospital assistant was a lovely caring lady, and who obviously knew her job,

Although we have some friends who in the past have paid £s privately, for
an hearing aid to which some were not as neat and tidy, as the hospital had issued,

well my wife told our next door neighbour who wasn't aware then,  as well as my brother in law ,and both of them went to their respective doctors , and much like my wife, they too  have a more enjoyable life,

you really have to look at very closely to see if a person is wearing a hearing aid, as these are almost invisible, 

sparky

Re: hearing aids,
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
I have always had fairly good service from my NHS hearing aid dept, and was told by my doctor the NHS aids are equally as good as those bought privately. But on the subject of hearing, I have two aids and also suffer from tinnitus 24/7, but am constantly screaming at the  TV when almost every programme, has   ********* background music at the same level as the actors speaking lines, even quiz programmes have it, I am told its one of the highest number of complaints received by TV companies, but still they insist on doing it.

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:00:59 AM »
I have moderate hearing loss in both ears and have had NHS hearing aids for quite a few years.  The first ones didn't help much, but after asking to have my hearing tested again, I was issued with digital aids which have been a big help.  I can manage on the phone without them, and in face to face conversations, but I need them for meetings and for TV.  I also use subtitles for some programmes, especially dramas, where the sound quality is inconsistent.  I agree with Sparky, background music is often unnecessary, and really unhelpful.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Maddie Malone

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:17:34 AM »
Sparky I also suffer from really bad tinnitus 24-7 . It's like my heads stuck in a space helmet with all these noises booming at me .
I was originally given my hearing aid to mask the tinnitus .
When I've asked at the hospital about in the ear aids  Ive been told they only supply over the ear aids .
From what I've read a few times now in the paper some parts of the country are not supplying hearing aids to those with mild to moderate hearing loss anymore 😕

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
Maddie, I was once given a masker for my tinnitus, but did not use it much, could not see much point in producing one noise to drown out another, but I suppose I am fortunate, I have read of some people becoming suicidal with it, but as mine came on 50 years ago and has gradually got louder over the years, it sounds like a jet engine, but again as I have had it so long I have become oblivious to it, unless I think about it, its become a part of me, maybe like people living near a railway or motorway, but when I sometimes see people working with noisy kit and not wearing ear defenders, I think what mugs they are, in my time I was using Kango hammers, noisy drills/saws, Hlti guns, etc, but it was long before defenders were recommended.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:12:52 PM »
Sparky I also suffer from really bad tinnitus 24-7 . It's like my heads stuck in a space helmet with all these noises booming at me .
I was originally given my hearing aid to mask the tinnitus .
When I've asked at the hospital about in the ear aids  Ive been told they only supply over the ear aids .
From what I've read a few times now in the paper some parts of the country are not supplying hearing aids to those with mild to moderate hearing loss anymore 😕

I have over the ear aids, I just grew my hair a bit longer so they aren't noticeable. ::)

R. Gervais

firenze

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
Sparky, Grannymac and Maddie you have all my sympathy tinnitus must be the most wearing malady there is and absolutely no escape from it.   Can music be a mask?
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:37:17 PM »
Firtunately I don't have tinnitus, I'm just deaf!

Some info that may be helpful for anyone with a hearing aid/NHS brown book who travels by train.  It's one of the entitled categories for a Disabled Persons Railcard.  Costs £20 for a year and knocks 1/3 off the cost of tickets for holder and one other travelling together.

http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk

R. Gervais

G2B

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2016, 02:08:57 AM »
Have had very bad tinnitus for over 40 years after losing left ear drum from grommet insertion, but somehow have learned to live with it and ignore it unless I think about it.
Re train pass for disability, its brilliant if you travel a lot and if accompanied with someone they also qualify for a reduction on a specific journey.
Also, one qualifies for a radon key to get access to disabled toilets which are often located in obscure places on train stations etc. Keys are issued by Social Service departments, in my area cost £3.20.
I wasted money on a private well known 'invisible'hearing aid only to discover the hearing problem was solved, but I was allergic to the aid material. So no compensation! Have now gone back to my faithful NHS model, and grown my hair to cover it.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:20:40 AM »
Same as me sparky in every aspect! Had very good service from the NHS hearing dpt. I've got a pair of standard behind-the-ear aids which are fine and used mainly for TV viewing. I get then "serviced" every six months as the little tubes can get blocked. I pick up packs of six batteries from my local clinic so well satisfied with this free service.
Yes, isn't the continual background music a pain in plays, why do they think it's needed, it just muffles the words! And yes, have also suffered Tinnitus for years, just live with it!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

granny bee

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:22:18 AM »
OH benefits from NHS hearing aids, excellent service via our local community hospital.  We agree with those commenting on annoying background music, particularly when combined with mumbling actors in TV dramas!

xetog

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »
I never have needed hearing aids (not what my wife thinks), but I sympathise with those who find background music distracting.  Do you think it's an 'age' thing as younger people do not seem to have the same problem?  I do not suffer from Tinnitus either, but for some 15+ years have suffered from a constant high pitched whining in my head.

It began at a time when I was subject to a bout of dizzy spells which were eventually put down to an anomaly of Migraines, but although the dizziness subsided, the whine has not.  Sometimes it is not too bad and at others it is disturbingly loud.  The Doctors tell me that it is not Tinnitus although the 'sound' overlays everything I do and certainly interferes with TV listening.  I guess it is with me for good now, but I wish I knew what it was!

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Beannie

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
I never have needed hearing aids (not what my wife thinks), but I sympathise with those who find background music distracting.  Do you think it's an 'age' thing as younger people do not seem to have the same problem?  I do not suffer from Tinnitus either, but for some 15+ years have suffered from a constant high pitched whining in my head.

It began at a time when I was subject to a bout of dizzy spells which were eventually put down to an anomaly of Migraines, but although the dizziness subsided, the whine has not.  Sometimes it is not too bad and at others it is disturbingly loud.  The Doctors tell me that it is not Tinnitus although the 'sound' overlays everything I do and certainly interferes with TV listening.  I guess it is with me for good now, but I wish I knew what it was!

Mike

I wonder if that's the same as I have Mike . The clinic called it selective hearing or a similar name because I can hear if someone is speaking to me but not if other people are speaking or there is other background noise , I also have a tone deafness and certain tones I can't hear hardly at all X

xetog

« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
Hi Bea.  It could be, although I have no diagnosis.  When last tested, I had perfect hearing in my right ear, but my left cannot hear certain frequencies (my mother also suffered from this problem).  Similarly I have great trouble picking out individual voices in crowds where there is a lot of background noise.  I do believe that is a sign of an ageing hearing system though.  As I type, the 'sound' is in medium mode and not too troublesome, but on occasions when it reaches its crescendo it is very difficult to ignore.  Of course it seems louder when things are quiet, such as when I lay down to sleep, but does not seem to stop me dropping off, that is more due to a furiously active mind.

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »
I can cope with the tinnitus when it's mild but when it goes into full blown crazy and brings on a meniers attack that has me bed bound sometimes for days I hate it .

Mike has anyone ever said about meniers disease .
It's when the noises get loud brings on dizziness and feeling sick .