Author Topic: Breakaway forum  (Read 3891 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Breakaway forum
« on: Dec 28, 2021, 02:27:52 PM »
It seems we have a repeat of the problem that beset this forum a few years ago. A member here has set up a rival forum and together with other members who have been inviting other members here to contact them by email who are then directed to the new forum. This was done completely behind my back and the invites made on the pretext of it a being a 'backup forum' if this one ever disappeared. But having visited the new forum myself it is clear it is a breakaway forum with new discussion topics being opened and encouraged. Of course it is a free world, and anyone can set up a forum of their own. But I object to members for a new forum being poached from the membership here.

The members who own and/or promoted the new forum will not be banned from here, but as long as it continues they will have their posts moderated which means their posts will be have to be checked by me before appearing on the boards. That will apply to anyone else who seeks to poach members from this forum.

Those who have been contacted to join the new forum are of course free to participate there as well as here if they wish. I have nothing against you. And just as happened before there will be members who will permanently switch to the new forum and this forum will suffer as a result. But as before this forum will recover in time.

For the record, I have no intention of closing down this forum. If people are worried about a prolonged outage of this forum I have created an official backup forum at https://pensionersforum.createaforum.com/

With regard to the recent outages here I can say that they are not caused by the server being overloaded. In fact when the outages occur the server is still operating normally with server load going down to zero. It is simply that traffic is not reaching the site. This can sometimes be caused by a faulty switch at the data centre which normally quickly comes to the attention of administrators there and is quickly resolved. As the problem is ongoing I will open a ticket myself and get them to look into it.

Another reason for dissatisfaction seems to be a couple of new members disrupting the forum by attacking other members who disagree with them. As an unacceptably large proportion of their posts broke the forum rules they are now moderated so they will no longer be able to attack anyone, and have been for some time. But it works both ways and people who continue to attack these members themselves will have their posts deleted and if they continue to do so will end up having their posts moderated also. The rules of the forum apply to everyone and include:
• No hostility. All discussions must be friendly and civil.
• No inflammatory posts. No controversial, offensive or otherwise disruptive posts which are likely to provoke an angry or emotional response.
• No attacking other members. Teasing or jesting between forum friends is fine, but it must be in an obviously friendly manner preferably with a smiley to make it clear you are joking. Otherwise it will be considered hostile. If either party objects to teasing then both sides must stop immediately.
• No reprimanding. Please do not reprimand other members or make personal criticisms about them. If other members' posts break the rules or you find them objectionable please use the 'report to moderator' button. Please do not reprimand them yourself on the boards as people find this condescending and will often react angrily.

I will lock this topic as I do not want to see this argued out here. If anyone wishes to discuss this with me personally I can be contacted at contact@pensionersforum.co.uk

Alex22

Chris's Breakaway Forum Thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2021, 09:28:01 PM »
At last we have a response to a problem that has been going on for some time, but I think it's a bit odd we weren't able to respond to Chris's "Breakaway Forum " thread - apart from a private message.   Along with now the 'monitoring of posts' what are we turning into  ? 

Michael Rolls

Re: Chris's Breakaway Forum Thread
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
I must say I was a bit upset by Chris' post. As far as one could see he ignored the problems people were having in accessing the site, problems which were the sole cause of the creation of the back-up NOT 'breakaway' site. Also, having had to put up with the quite vicious posts from the two newcomers, I was disappointed to see that Chris apparently tars those of us - myself included - who objected to that viciousness with the same brush
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2021, 10:20:24 PM »
I replied to this in the 'other place'. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Akbuk

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2021, 10:48:07 PM »
I replied to this in the 'other place'. :)

:) :) :)
I’m a real he/him.

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2021, 01:41:43 AM »
The reason the topic was locked was because of the inevitable mod-bashing / other member bashing that would result.

We will soon discover the real reason for the new forum. If the reason was as a backup forum then it should disappear now that I have created an official backup forum that is independent of this server's hiccups. Or whether it was created as a breakaway alternative to this forum without the presence of members the founders dislike (despite it being impossible for those new members to attack others here as they are now moderated) and where they can attack the new members themselves without me deleting their posts.

That is exactly what happened before. People who objected to my moderating policy created a breakaway forum where they control who posts or not. Although I put a stop to the poaching the split caused a lot of damage to this forum which lost about 50% of its posts/members who jumped ship to join their friends. Today that forum is a shadow of its former self as it cannot attract new members to replace the ones that leave.

Looks like history is repeating itself.

Topic locked. Feel free to discuss it further in 'the other place'.

Michael Rolls

Forum Stats
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2021, 06:28:08 AM »
Wondering if there was evidence of a diminution in posting here since the appearance of the back-up forum, I thought that the logical place to look was under forum stats - but I got a message telling me that I am not allowed to view them. Any idea why not?
Mike

Michael Rolls

Re: Forum Stats
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2021, 06:58:08 AM »
Oh, and I can view the forum stats on the back-up forum - so why not here?
Mike

GrannyMac

I hope klondike is still with us.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »
I hope klondike’s reasons for trying to keep our online community together have not been misunderstood. Due to us not knowing what was happening with our much loved forum, I believe he was simply trying to ensure we didn’t end up adrift from our online friends. 

I don’t want another forum, but it did look as if we might have no choice. Fortunately the issues have been resolved, and all is as before. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Akbuk

Re: I hope klondike is still with us.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2021, 03:31:25 PM »
I hope klondike’s reasons for trying to keep our online community together have not been misunderstood. Due to us not knowing what was happening with our much loved forum, I believe he was simply trying to ensure we didn’t end up adrift from our online friends. 

I don’t want another forum, but it did look as if we might have no choice. Fortunately the issues have been resolved, and all is as before.

Good post..
I’m a real he/him.

Wandering Walter

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »
I agree
Never enter the world of Conspiracy Theorists, it is the pathway to madness

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2021, 04:03:33 PM »
Not quite as before Mac, sadly. I doubt we'll see some old friends again as some found Chris's excuses/explanations unconvincing and very late...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Akbuk

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2021, 04:21:55 PM »
Life’s too short to hold grudges on forums. Even more so considering the current situation we all find ourselves in.
Personally I hope nobody leaves, even though I was getting seconds thoughts at one stage.
I’m a real he/him.

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2021, 04:44:08 PM »

I see no reason for things not to be restored as they were. We now have a smooth running forum again, with an official backup in place in the unlikely event of the forum ever dying. There is no need to have an additional identical forum running in parallel with this, with it's hand chosen members split between the two. Enough damage was done to this forum the last time that happened with most being persuaded to jump ship. Klondike is not banned but while his breakaway forum is active I need to limit any further potential damage from any more members being poached by monitoring his posts and those of his recruiter. Should he care to close his forum then of course he is welcome to return with no restrictions.

However he says on his forum that he has left because he is not happy with the way I deal with troublemakers and there is little I can do about that. I believe the correct moderating policy is to delete bad posts, then giving a warning, and if they continue to break the rules to put them on moderated posts. That policy was followed with the 2 new members and now they are both moderated and impossible for them to continue breaking the forum rules. Rather than banning them they have an opportunity to reform their behavior without any risk of causing further trouble.

Alex22

« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2021, 04:49:35 PM »
" I hope klondike’s reasons for trying to keep our online community together have not been misunderstood. " 

Well said Granny Mac, though I fear that is the case.  Hopefully at some stage all Klondike's work will be seen for what it really was - a lifeboat, not a new cruiser  :)