Author Topic: RETURNING TO UK  (Read 8036 times)

minniemouse

RETURNING TO UK
« on: Aug 14, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »
I am curious to know why such a lot of ex-pats end up returning back to the UK.  Spain in particular looks ideal as a place to live so I can't understand it, especially after making the big upheaval to move out there in the first place.  I know that some people return for family reasons but what about the rest.  I am just curious as I feel envious of people who have made a life out there, mainly because of the climate.  We just don't get enough sun in this country for my liking. :-\
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

Re: RETURNING TO UK
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
Hi Minnie (that was my Grandma's name :) ) Welcome to PF.
I lived in Northern Spain for 8 years or so and liked it very much but I was working. Not sure I'd like to live there in retirement though. A lot can go wrong in later life and I enjoy a familiarity with the 'system' at home that I didn't there, despite having a reasonable amount of the language. Britain Is Best as far as I'm concerned. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »
Hi minimouse and welcome to the PF! I have lived (worked) most of my working life overseas but my "home" has always been here, in England. I suspect that many older people come back here for the later in life health care they know they can get here that they probably can't elsewhere.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2016, 02:32:29 AM »
You may suspect that C-C but I suspect that people who've spent years living overseas just come to miss their homeland. Like you, and me to a lesser extent. As a submariner and well-traveled person I think you might know what I mean when I say "it smells right". Not much to do with health care. I think that's a slightly unfair judgement.

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
We never 'lived' in Spain, but spent a lot of time there over a 10 year period.  We knew within months that it was not the life for us although it suited many down to the ground - at least they said so - but although laid back, many attitudes and obtuse officialdom convinced us that we were better off in a place we knew.  It was not the language.  Although not fluent we knew more than enough to get by, but the terribly hot summers and the unthinking animal cruelty did it for us in the end.  Luckily for us, we had not burned any bridges and although we took a hefty financial loss, we have not regretted it.  I have a suspicion that many who sold up to move there now feel that they cannot return because of the drop in property values and therefore feign satisfaction with their lot.  We did meet quite a few who felt marooned.

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

MARTIN

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2016, 05:02:29 PM »
Just two places where you can find things to do as a youngster or old age person in Spain
http://www.companians.org/
http://caveliving.forummotion.com/
https://www.eyeonspain.com/

Just have a look at this "To live in Spain"
Yes, much happier 65.52%

Indifferent, happy in both places 19.31%

No, definitely not, would rather go back15.17%

https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/macpoll/16462/poll-are-you-happier-living-in-spain-than-in-your-native-country.aspx

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »
I lived 8 years in Spain and enjoyed it. I prefer life in England. I could send you rather a lot of things to do here if you'd like me to.

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
Zoony, and Martin,

My dream of living in Spain is just a pipe dream.  In practice I would not like to live away from relatives, especially my daughter.  Just wondered what other peoples experiences had been.
Thanks for your reply though.

Dickie

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2016, 06:09:33 PM »
I am curious to know why such a lot of ex-pats end up returning back to the UK.  Spain in particular looks ideal as a place to live so I can't understand it, especially after making the big upheaval to move out there in the first place.  I know that some people return for family reasons but what about the rest.  I am just curious as I feel envious of people who have made a life out there, mainly because of the climate.  We just don't get enough sun in this country for my liking. :-\

Minnie Mouse hello and it's lovely to see you . Hope so much you like coming here and feel at home . Do you live in the UK and I know our weather isn't that great but  there are tons of things that make up for our crappy weather . Hello again and hope you settle in xxx
Wow , I知 amazed I found you all again . I知 useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

minniemouse

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2016, 06:25:31 PM »
Thank you for the welcome message.  Yes, I do live in the U.K.  It seems a friendly and interesting site to visit.

xetog

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
One of the reasons we frequently met was that a partner had died and the survivor wanted to be near their families.

Mike
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2016, 06:47:23 PM »
Divorce is another reason for hi-tailing it back to dear old blighty - and Mum   ;D

Dickie

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
Thank you for the welcome message.  Yes, I do live in the U.K.  It seems a friendly and interesting site to visit.

And if you ever feel sad Minnie Mouse just shout and some wonderful people will shout back and want you too be really ok and happy xxx
Wow , I知 amazed I found you all again . I知 useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Lone Eagle

« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »
Pensioners are returning to the UK from mainly the Commonwealth countries like Australia, Canada and South Africa because of no increases in their pensions. In these countries they have to take out health insurance etc. and now after years of no increases and the cost of living climbing each year they find that they cannot afford to live in these countries anymore.

Akbuk

« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »
The woman decides (well she did in my case), I know plenty who came back to the UK & most was down to the woman due to missing the kids/grandkids.
Nine years in Turkey & we had the life what most can only dream about. My/our best friends were a Doctor & a Lawyer, both Turkish & spoke perfect English. Sounds harsh but once you have people like that in your back pocket, they're better than any insurance policy. Also we had a good friend who was our bank manager, he never spoke English but whenever I went in the bank a teller would inform him & he would drag me in for coffee along with his "on tap" translator.
Been in business several times in the UK & never ever got to meet any bank managers, it was always one of their minions.

Travelled all across Europe & beyond but like the song says, "aint no place like home baby" (or did I just make that up)?
We know now though how in the last 3 or 4 years Europe has dramatically changed & will continue to go even further IMO. If your happy here, then stick with it. Yes we moved out to Turkey but there was never a doubt in our minds who we were, where we were from AND where we would be laid to rest.

Just to add. Turkey is a Muslim country, they don't do cremations or at least not to my knowledge. The wife & I went to a couple of funerals out the............Jeeeez they even worried me.
The coffin rolled up on the back of an opened backed Transit van & the person was only buried in a very shallow grave (couple of feet) then a load of rocks piled on them...............Of course the wife was having none of that caper (spider & snake alert), so I had to promise that if anything happened to her I would arrange for her to be flown back. I did say, if anything happens to me, leave me here, her response? OK...........no hesitation whatsoever :-)   
I知 a real he/him.