Author Topic: get dancing it's good for you  (Read 2168 times)

caminito

get dancing it's good for you
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »
You've probably heard about the New England Journal of Medicine report on the effects of recreational activities on mental acuity in aging.   Here it is in a nutshell.

The 21-year study of senior citizens, 75 and older, was led by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, funded by the National Institute on Aging, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine.  Their method for objectively measuring mental acuity in aging was to monitor rates of dementia, including Alzheimer's disease.

The study wanted to see if any physical or cognitive recreational activities influenced mental acuity.  They discovered that some activities had a significant beneficial effect.  Other activities had none.

They studied cognitive activities such as reading books, writing for pleasure, doing crossword puzzles, playing cards and playing musical instruments.  And they studied physical activities like playing tennis or golf, swimming, bicycling, dancing, walking for exercise and doing housework.

One of the surprises of the study was that almost none of the physical activities appeared to offer any protection against dementia.  There can be cardiovascular benefits of course, but the focus of this study was the mind.  There was one important exception:  the only physical activity to offer protection against dementia was frequent dancing.

Reading - 35% reduced risk of dementia

Bicycling and swimming - 0%

People who played the hardest gained the most:  For example, seniors who did crossword puzzles four days a week had a 47% lower risk of dementia than those who did the puzzles once a week.

Playing golf - 0%

Dancing frequently - 76%.
That was the greatest risk reduction of any activity studied, cognitive or physical.

Quoting Dr. Joseph Coyle, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who wrote an accompanying commentary:
"The cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which are critical to these activities, are remarkably plastic, and they rewire themselves based upon their use."

And from from the study itself, Dr. Katzman proposed these persons are more resistant to the effects of dementia as a result of having greater cognitive reserve and increased complexity of neuronal synapses.  Like education, participation in some leisure activities lowers the risk of dementia by improving cognitive reserve.

Our brain constantly rewires its neural pathways, as needed.  If it doesn't need to, then it won't.

Chrisjay

Re: get dancing it's good for you
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »
 :)

Deetta

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
I want to learn how to Salsa! :)

caminito

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
I used to Salsa until I discovered Tango Argentino about eleven tears ago.
I bought quite a lot of salsa CDs from the "Blanket men " in Spain . ( Counterfeit copies sold by the guys on the beach or pavement)
This guy has a big reputation in the world of Salsa
Nery Garcia ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l19hwBSqiGg&feature=related

This lady is eighty years "young"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J77WEattEfA

Deetta

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
mmmm.....very energetic, but if doing the salsa involves hanging upside down from a young man's shoulders and being swung through his legs several times, well, I'm definitely up for it. ;D