Author Topic: Pension credit  (Read 2000 times)

Old plumber

Pension credit
« on: Jul 05, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »
Hello  every one   I am about to inherit   some  money from  a relative who has died which take me over the  p c sum  calculator  I therefore  need  to inform the dwp and stop the payment  but I don't want to   tell them the amount I am due to inherit.  Any thoughts  anyone?

GrannyMac

Re: Pension credit
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
Hi Old Plumber, I don't know much about Pension Credit, but I'd have thought you could ring them up, tell them your circumstances have changed, and withdraw your claim.  However, if you wanted to claim PC again in the future, they'd look at your financial situation and it's possible there might be questions if you inherited a large sum and have little to show for it.  
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2017, 07:54:19 PM »

Hi Old Plumber, I don't know much about Pension Credit, but I'd have thought you could ring them up, tell them your circumstances have changed, and withdraw your claim.  However, if you wanted to claim PC again in the future, they'd look at your financial situation and it's possible there might be questions if you inherited a large sum and have little to show for it.

There is no requirement for you to tell them anything. Tell them that you want to close the claim down with immediate effect.

If you want to claim again you used to be able to do it online but they appear to have closed that down and you only have the option of going through the claim form over the telephone yourself or having to go to CAB or AgeUK for the to do it.

I have no idea what the 'new' system is or what info they ask about capital that you used to have but is now spent. It used to be the case that they would go back 3 months showing your bank statements. They never questioned what capital you had over 3 months ago.
Best if you have a word with AgeUK or CAB to see what the current regulations are.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
I think the advice on just saying you want to close the claim down would be acceptable as everyone suggests - although they may still ask.  If you think you may ever have to claim again I am sure GrannyMac is right to bring your attention to the fact that they will want to know how you spent it - some things are perfectly acceptable so you would be wise to keep an account of how you spend the money. 
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2017, 11:47:49 PM »

Yes they may well ask but you are not required to tell them. If the OP informed them that it is because they inherited a considerable sum of money, it is guaranteed that they will then ask questions about it if and when the OP makes a new claim.

As I have said, in the past on making a new claim they were only interested in what capital you had and how it was spent in the 3 months prior to making a new claim.
Under the new current system (akin to Income Support) I have no idea if that 3 month period still stands - it is best to check with either the CAB or AgeUK who will guide the OP.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2017, 12:48:58 AM »
Hi Goingtoseed, (me too...) Welcome to PF. Always nice to hear a new viewpoint when it's clearly expressed
 It's unusual for somebody to leap into this pond without making themselves known. If you don't mind me asking, who are you?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
A welcome from me to Goingtoseed.  You seem to be a mine of information and it's great that you are prepared to share it.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2017, 11:33:10 PM »

Hi Goingtoseed, (me too...) Welcome to PF. Always nice to hear a new viewpoint when it's clearly expressed
 It's unusual for somebody to leap into this pond without making themselves known. If you don't mind me asking, who are you?

Just someone that has been through the meat grinder over the past 22 years and there ain't nowt that I haven't had done to me by the DWP.

There is no love lost between the DWP and myself.

Oh yes I am a 68 year old retired civil servant and am sad to see how the state is treating the old, sick and disabled.

Dropped on this site by accident and if I can help as I go along my way then I will.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »
You have to feel ashamed of your own country when the UN produces this sort of report.

UN denounces British government for failing to protect disabled peoples' rights
Damning report finds ministers have failed those with disabilities through catalogue of welfare policies in recent years

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/un-disabled-rights-uk-government-denounced-criticised-united-nations-austerity-policies-a7923006.html

I wonder if a similar one will be brought out about how they are pushing working families into poverty?

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2017, 12:19:03 AM »

Just someone that has been through the meat grinder over the past 22 years and there ain't nowt that I haven't had done to me by the DWP.

There is no love lost between the DWP and myself.

Oh yes I am a 68 year old retired civil servant and am sad to see how the state is treating the old, sick and disabled.

Dropped on this site by accident and if I can help as I go along my way then I will.

Well, good to know you. You don't have to help, other points of view and experiences on any subject are welcomed when shared...At your own risk, you understand.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.