Author Topic: Sharks  (Read 4321 times)

Hugh

Sharks
« on: Mar 28, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »
Well Sharkman just where did this evidence of baiting sharks increases shark attacks. Yes it could make sharks come closer to human for food but there is just no evidence of it increasing the chances of anyone being attacked. I have really enjoyed baited dives, when you have the chance of seeing sharks up close. Its been going  on for years in South Africa with out any problems. Not going into the rights and wrongs of it, it depends on your school of thought

Hugh

Re: Sharks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
Two people have been killed and many injuried in the Red sea in the last couple of years.
The rogue shark believed to be an oceanic white tipped and I believe it will attack again next summer when it returns to the Sharm area.

It is still a fact it is very rare for a diver to get attacked by sharks. Most attacks are on the
 surface when a shark as mistaken thought the surfer or swimmer was a seal. Another danger is swimming in shallow water at dawn and dusk when and where bull sharks feed.

On baited dives Roland as a strict set of rules. We stay up current from the bait. We stay up right for the first half hour. Do not hand feed. Keep your eye on the nearest shark in an emergency we all come together in a group and go up together and blow bubbles which we all ascend in.

caminito

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2011, 05:58:43 PM »
"". Do not hand feed. "  :o

"in emergency we all come together in a group and go up together and blow bubbles which we all ascend in."
I would be blowing bubbles from the other end of my body  ::)

Hugh

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »
In emergency all bubbles most welcome.

Never been used so far but always better to have an emergency plan and well thought out.

Chrisjay

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
I would be blowing bubbles from the other end of my body  ::)

That made me laugh and I am with you about where the bubbles would be  ;D

Maywalk

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
 :D :D :D :D
I too would be blowing bubbles at the wrong end Caminito.

Have you done a lot of shark dives Hugh? Is it a hobby or do you belong to a club of some sort? Just curious as to what has made you start doing it.

Hugh

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
I got introduce to scuba diving by accident, I was making enquiries for my two sons while on holiday in Sharm, and this young lady called Suzi said "what about you?" I said I was to old at 66 to start that game, she said said rubbish and talk me into doing a try dive. I was hooked.

Most of my dives have been done with Atlantic Divers Tenerife. My first experience with sharks was last May diving with South Africa Dive Adventure, had around 14 dives with sharks. He invited me out again with a promise of free accommodation, I am going out on my own for 3 1/2 weeks. He as given me a set price for the 3 weeks diving which is very reasonable. We dive on protea banks which is off Shelly beach about 50 miles from Durban.
Although its almost into winter there its still hot sunny and dry, during their summer they get a lot of rain and wind.

I have logged around 160 odd dives all in nice warm clear water.

Maywalk

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »
Wow thats brilliant Hugh.
Goes to prove that you are never TOO old to try something new.
Well Done and I hope you enjoy the next trip.  :)

Hugh

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »
I certainly will. The diving world one friendly bunch of people although I am going on my own, the divers I meet will seem like old friends. Under water its the nearest one can get to the feeling that you are flying like a bird. A wonderful experience. The oldest person to pass the scuba divers open water course was 100 years young. Pensioners room for thought.

Dottie1943

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
Whilst on holiday one year in Tobago, Roy and our Daughter Sue who was 12 at the time were both trained to go scuba diving by 3 Canadian Fire Men who also had to dive as part of their jobs, looking for dead bodies etc when people went missing.

Once they had been trained (exceptionally well) they  went off one day with all the firemen (approx 20) and two of the local divers to show them where a Nurse shark lived in a cave.  Roy and Sue stayed  well away from the underwater cave and watched from a distance with 2 of the divers, I was up in the boat watching the bubbles.

One of the local divers went to the cave and pulled the shark out by the tail (something he had done for 2-3 years without any problem) a Canadian diver who was the most enthusiastic was right behind him with the camera, the shark turned and came at them very quickly so much so that the Local Diver did a somersault under the water, the Canadian with the camera got pictures of the sharks eye, fins, belly and tail as it went over him and the next thing I saw was the same diver enter the boat without touching the sides, he flew through the air!!!   ;D ;D ;D

We discovered afterwards that the nurse shark had a baby and was obviously being very protective.

The photos from the Canadian diver were very good and very close!!!! but the best photos were the ones my daughter took from a safe distance away. ;D

We always remember this holiday and the lovely people we met and it is a lovely place to dive (or so I am told!) ;D
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

Hugh

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2011, 08:56:20 PM »
The golden rule of diving, look don't touch. He was lucky he didn't come to more harm to himself and others.

Didn't you fancy giving diving a try while you were out there Dot?

Dottie1943

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
NO WAY JOSE!!!!!

I only get my ears wet under the shower thank you!   ;D
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

bromers

« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
Everyday i open a satchet of bloodworm mix and gently sqeeze it out and my sharks feed i do not use a cage or chainmail sometimes i'm in my P.Js, i have not lost any fingers yet but i had a nip from my angel fish once.

Hugh

« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
Yes I to have kept fish in a tank many years ago, and kept tiny sharks and like all sharks unlikely to bite.