Author Topic: What's everone doing today?  (Read 809989 times)

Coastal

Re: What's everone doing today?
« Reply #10380 on: May 05, 2021, 03:25:56 PM »
Took my car in for service & mot, decided to walk home 2.7 miles was expecting to get wet at some point but didn't, had a call  ::) 2 tyres needed (as expected) then another call to say they had the wrong spark plugs, but it was easier to leave it there and they'll phone me in the morning ref collection (and pay up time)  ;D
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10381 on: May 05, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »
Well, got the mower battery up to scratch so mowed front and back - now feel shattered. Even with a ride-on, I still have to lug the big strimmer around under the trees, etc.
Beginning to wonder if I shouldn't give in and hire a gardener - it feels much harder work even that last year
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #10382 on: May 05, 2021, 04:30:38 PM »
Thanks Mike. No side-effects expected. ..So we both know what will happen next.. ;D

Arrived at a locked building. It's next Wednesday.. Oh well, needed milk anyway..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10383 on: May 05, 2021, 04:50:38 PM »
Oh no! Better luck next time
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #10384 on: May 05, 2021, 05:43:36 PM »

Arrived at a locked building. It's next Wednesday.. Oh well, needed milk anyway..

At least there won't be any side effects this week! 💉
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #10385 on: May 05, 2021, 05:47:28 PM »
My house was extended and updated in 1896, so late Victorian.  We were fortunate that the builder who refurbished (vandalised) it, spent as little as possible on it, so most of the original features remain.  I discovered that all the doors are different sizes and non-standard, so would cost a fortune to replace.  They're all pitch pine with proper mortise & tenon joints.  When we re-instated an airing cupboard (or 'hot press' as we always called them)  I had to make doors for it.   I had the necessary tools and managed to make a pair of doors to exactly match the style of the others.  I did cheat and used ply for the panels instead of proper wood, but when it's painted, you can't tell. 

When I look ant the 'Jerry built' housed that are being thrown up here, there's no way I would buy one.

Sounds similar, the front door is an ancient beast, it must be the original one. The kitchen has been extended, its well enough built but the previous owners could have tried to match the bricks better.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #10386 on: May 06, 2021, 12:40:34 AM »

At least there won't be any side effects this week! 💉

;D  I felt a bit of a fool but I'm used to that, otherwise no damage sustained.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #10387 on: May 06, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
Well I had a good day yesterday.

Our car developed a fault, which I discovered on Tuesday when I was using a silicone spray to lubricate the window channels, whereby the rear nearside passenger window wouldn't wind up unless I kept activating the winder switch & it came up in stops & starts.

To rule out a window motor fault I used the rear door switch & the window came up ok so I took the faulty control unit out of the driver's door, stripped it down & cleaned all the contacts but before I put it back I found a Chinese replacement on Amazon for £9.99, which arrived yesterday.

It works perfectly so I've now got a switch unit that doesn't show the wear that the old one did, which I've kept as a spare.

I don't know how much a garage would have charged to do what took me about 15 minutes as they've have probably stripped the door down to check the window motor.

There are some hilarious YouTube clips with people showing how to strip down this switch & none of them have realised how it can be done in a fraction of the time they took to do it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #10388 on: May 06, 2021, 12:21:08 PM »
I'm off to vote at some point today.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #10389 on: May 06, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »

For the first time ever, I will not be voting, I cannot bring myself to tick the name in the box of any one of the crooked scumbags

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10390 on: May 06, 2021, 12:40:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that. One or other of the scum bags on your list will get  in, so won’t it be a good idea to vote for the one you regard as the least repulsive, to try and ensure that the one you regard the one as not the least repulsive gets in?
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #10391 on: May 06, 2021, 12:42:11 PM »

For the first time ever, I will not be voting, I cannot bring myself to tick the name in the box of any one of the crooked scumbags

Well I have to vote as I'm the person who nominated our party's candidate.  ;D

We have a very good selection of candidates, from all the parties, & I wouldn't rate any of them as crooked scumbags.

sneakysnoopysniper

« Reply #10392 on: May 06, 2021, 12:46:33 PM »
I dont usually bother with these elections (even though I have a postal/online vote) but at least Andy Burnham stood up for Manchester against Westminster and their cronies so I have voted online. Almost all the local candidates are of the Asian variety around here.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools

klondike

« Reply #10393 on: May 06, 2021, 06:43:54 PM »
I was disappointed that there were no independents. There is a Reform candidate for Police Commisioner or whatever it is called and that one is single transferable vote so he got my first choice X. I have a postal vote and it went in last week sometime.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #10394 on: May 06, 2021, 06:55:06 PM »
I was disappointed that there were no independents. There is a Reform candidate for Police Commisioner or whatever it is called and that one is single transferable vote so he got my first choice X. I have a postal vote and it went in last week sometime.

We had a Reform candidate for Police & Crime Commissioner but I voted for the Tory first & Reform second.