Author Topic: The Crown  (Read 2284 times)

BazzerPontefract

The Crown
« on: Mar 08, 2019, 10:00:03 AM »
My son gave me a birthday present of a six month Netflixs subscription.
Straight into The Crown - subscription less than four days old and already half way through Series 2.
It is fantastic drama.  Something made all the better because anyone of our generation is familiar the characters and story-lines.
What makes it so compulsive viewing is that it is all so compressed.  We are familiar with regular recurring crisises for the Crown and the UK itself, but it is the compression that magnifies the cyclical nature of events.  And this THING called the Establishment, always responsible for the crisises, who come out of the most appalling mismanagement events intact - the machine continues.
Fantastic TV.

fortyone

Re: The Crown
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
We watched both series and enjoyed them. I must check to see if there is a third either out or in the offing.

minniemouse

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
My son gave me a birthday present of a six month Netflixs subscription.
Straight into The Crown - subscription less than four days old and already half way through Series 2.
It is fantastic drama.  Something made all the better because anyone of our generation is familiar the characters and story-lines.
What makes it so compulsive viewing is that it is all so compressed.  We are familiar with regular recurring crisises for the Crown and the UK itself, but it is the compression that magnifies the cyclical nature of events.  And this THING called the Establishment, always responsible for the crisises, who come out of the most appalling mismanagement events intact - the machine continues.
Fantastic TV.

If your son already subscribes to Nexflix he can add you as an additional user without any additional cost to himself or you.  (Apologies if I'm telling you something you are already aware of).
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »
Correct. He can have up to four other machines on his subscription.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2019, 06:10:28 PM »
If you have Netflix Zoony, Jeremy Vine programme today recommended a true story on Nexflix called Abducted in Plain Sight.  Incredulous but true apparently.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2019, 06:27:54 PM »
Thanks Minnie.

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »
It seems that soon Netflix subscribers will be able to benefit from them representing the full diversity of the UK as BBC  viewers already do.

Watch out for the new series starring a transgender detective with gay mixed race parents one of which is Jewish and the other a Muslim.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/03/09/culture-secretary-amazon-netflix-forced-represent-full-diversity-uk-like-bbc/

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:20:39 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  True or not, I have no trouble believing that at all. What's more it'll be well written, well cast, well-acted, nicely directed and produced to high values. Why not? All of their modern, teen-to-twenty-something tv stuff is crow-barring in new characters who are asexual, bi-sexual, tri-sexual, mechano-sexual...It's the latest fashion band-wagon.
I blame Liberace..

cowboy wisdom.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »
I watched the last episode last night - Profumo fall-out and all that.

My wife then went off and did some research about Phillip's connections with the Peter Ward circle, apparently there's loads of Profumo related documentation locked away forever.  Speculation is that the documentation will only be released after Phillip and the Queen have kicked-off their mortal-coil.  Probably stuff-and-nonsense, who am I to speculate?

Anyway, The Crown was first class entertainment.  I'll have to start thinking about a proper subscription and give up on the BBC forever.

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
Then you wont be able to watch the transgender doctor with the young black bloke and muslim policewoman sidekicks. The token white male was at least placed in a mixed race marriage by the scriptwriters to fit in with current trends in drama.

I must admit I'm not sure what the story line is. It seems to involve a lot of running around and shouting out of fluent bоllucks by the transgender doctor who still favours trousers and builder's boots. All good PC multicultural fun though.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:19:57 AM »
Then you wont be able to watch the transgender doctor with the young black bloke and muslim policewoman sidekicks. The token white male was at least placed in a mixed race marriage by the scriptwriters to fit in with current trends in drama.
I must admit I'm not sure what the story line is. It seems to involve a lot of running around and shouting out of fluent bоllucks by the transgender doctor who still favours trousers and builder's boots. All good PC multicultural fun though.
What are you driving at above?

Back to the Breitbart thing - I can't understand what Jeremy Wright is thinking - these new on-demand services are simply FILM delivered over the net. 

fortyone

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
41,What are you driving at above?
You've clearly not seen Doctor Who recently. An excellent choice. With no BBC though a forced one as they air it.

On Netfix the suggestion seems to be that in house productions such as The Crown will have to be cast with the rich multicultural mix of actors that BBC and sofa advertisers seem to insist on. I have no idea how that will be achieved and it could well be fake news but as we've seen so much left wing fake news here of late I thought we needed a bit of balance  :)

Audrine

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »
If you are talking about the Crown that I watched some months ago, I thought it rather well done. A third series would be great to watch.

I watched one episode about Princess Margaret & Townsend which I thought quite sad. I think it really screwedup her lifeafter that. Armstrong Jones was not the one she should have married.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:28:48 PM »
I watched one episode about Princess Margaret & Townsend which I thought quite sad. I think it really screwedup her lifeafter that. Armstrong Jones was not the one she should have married.
Audrine,
Was Peter Townsend really the right bloke for her: he dumped his own wife and kids before hooking up with Margaret, he was twenty years older than Margaret,  and when the Establishment finally quashed any chance of him marrying Margaret he took off with a sixteen year old more than thirty years his junior.

Audrine

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2019, 05:09:53 PM »
You have a point there Buzz, Margaret just happen to have very bad taste in men. I watched a documentary recently & she did not have a good life did she. Drinking & drugs were her main problem so the doc suggested. Who knows God rest her soul.