Author Topic: Patchwork Quilt  (Read 1268 times)

HerefordAnn

Patchwork Quilt
« on: Mar 31, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
Having tried patchwork a good few years ago and failing miserably, as I am not any good with a sewing machine (haven't got one now anyway), I started making a quilt about six months ago.  I am hand piecing it, the colours are quite bold with the centre hexagon of each coloured section being a white and silver hexagon.  The surround to each coloured piece again is white, but with narrow coloured lines going through.  Should be about another 18 months and it will be finished (I hope).
People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it's more about the state of your body.
Geoffrey Parfitt

Michael Rolls

Re: Patchwork Quilt
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »
My late wife, Veronica, was very keen on patchwork before her disability made her hands too unsteady.
Mike

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »
Here's another of Veronica's quilts
Mike

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:36:49 PM »

Anne, I feel the great thing about English Paper Piecing (which it sounds as if this is) is that it's portable.  These quilts end up being heirlooms after all the work and love that goes in to them.  I like hand sewing but wouldn't be parted from my machines and I think you are very brave contemplating something that large. 

I have been limited recently with bungalow clearing and selling for my mother (she has moved into  a care home) but at Christmas I made a Christmas Eve Sack for my family in Australia.  This was mainly done on my embroidery machine.  I am on quite a few groups on Facebook; it is brilliant for such things.  I think my next project will be a Luna Lapin.  They are brilliant and the book with the patterns in has a lovely story about Luna and her friends and can be made either with a sewing machine or by hand.  People (men and women) have been making the most amazing outfits for the animals.  You can see some here https://www.pinterest.co.uk/search/pins/?q=Luna%20lapin&rs=typed  Most people find their makes are disappearing off to new homes very quickly as friends and family spot them.

I have attached some of the makes for Christmas Eve that winged their way to Australia.  There were other Christmas Eve items in the sack - including a bottle of wine for my son and his wife (which took a bit of organising) and it was lovely to see them finding what was there on FaceTime with them.  I shall have to think of a few things to add for next year :)
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »
They are fabulous Mike.  There should be a 'wow' face!

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
Michael, your late wife's quilts are amazing!
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:52:00 PM »
Beautiful. My friend makes fabulous quilts, i have a couple.  I have absolutely no talent for needlework!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

HerefordAnn

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »
Those are stunning, Mike, she looked as though she was a very talented lady.  Mine will be nothing as good as those.
People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it's more about the state of your body.
Geoffrey Parfitt

minniemouse

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2019, 10:12:28 PM »
Fantastic, Michael.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »
One of the things that Veronica found very hard to come to terms with as her condition worsened was that she could no longer do patchwork, as it was something that she had really enjoyed. Her other favourite pastimes were her garden and hill walking - both of them also denied her by the wretched condition
Mike

HerefordAnn

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
One of the things that Veronica found very hard to come to terms with as her condition worsened was that she could no longer do patchwork, as it was something that she had really enjoyed. Her other favourite pastimes were her garden and hill walking - both of them also denied her by the wretched condition
Mike

Yes, that must have been very frustrating for her.
Geoffrey Parfitt

HerefordAnn

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2019, 10:19:30 AM »
Anne, I feel the great thing about English Paper Piecing (which it sounds as if this is) is that it's portable.  These quilts end up being heirlooms after all the work and love that goes in to them.  I like hand sewing but wouldn't be parted from my machines and I think you are very brave contemplating something that large. 

I have been limited recently with bungalow clearing and selling for my mother (she has moved into  a care home) but at Christmas I made a Christmas Eve Sack for my family in Australia.  This was mainly done on my embroidery machine.  I am on quite a few groups on Facebook; it is brilliant for such things.  I think my next project will be a Luna Lapin.  They are brilliant and the book with the patterns in has a lovely story about Luna and her friends and can be made either with a sewing machine or by hand.  People (men and women) have been making the most amazing outfits for the animals.  You can see some here https://www.pinterest.co.uk/search/pins/?q=Luna%20lapin&rs=typed  Most people find their makes are disappearing off to new homes very quickly as friends and family spot them.

I have attached some of the makes for Christmas Eve that winged their way to Australia.  There were other Christmas Eve items in the sack - including a bottle of wine for my son and his wife (which took a bit of organising) and it was lovely to see them finding what was there on FaceTime with them.  I shall have to think of a few things to add for next year :)

Love the little bits in your photo.  Yes, it is English Paper Piecing, handy to do on the odd occasions that I watch television.  I am tempted to name it 'Time Team' as I watch the reruns of the programme at lunchtime.
Geoffrey Parfitt