Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 1025 times)

Macca

Boxing
« on: Aug 05, 2019, 08:28:31 AM »
Hello, I am just putting this out to members to seek for people interested in boxing. We have had the luxury of Muhammad Ali = Frazier - Foreman - Joe Louis - Sugar Ray and many more, I can not help but compare these guys to th every low standard of boxer (heavyweights) since 1990 to today. Am I right?
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

crabbyob

Re: Boxing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2019, 03:37:36 PM »
no Macca, every sport that can be measured or timed has advanced so why not boxing...
boxing and football are in the eye of the beholder, surely some boxers must have impressed you
Joe Calsaghe, Prince Naseem ect were certainly excellent.....
i remember hearing that someone asked Denis Law, how might the sweaty-socks of 67 have done against todays team, Denis thought for a moment then stated "we would beat them 1-0" only one nil Denis, Denis smiled "well we are almost eighty"
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Macca

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
Prince Naseem was not a good boxer as far as I am concerned. I knew from day one he would avoid Berrera until he looked such a coward he would have to fight Berrera. Of course Berrera battered Naseem. Naseem turned his back on opponents to avoid being hit... you are disqualified in Amateur boxing for turning your back on an opponent. The hype pre fight start by far outweighs the actual standard of the fights in Heavyweight division.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2019, 10:04:53 AM »
wow.... i was introduced to Nassem by Brendan Ingle when the Prince was about 14, Brendan promised the boy would hold world titles at several weights, and was to my mind a great entertainer, until he decided to tell the world he was a Muslim... but as to him not being able to Box... he was included into Boxings hall of fame in 2015, by men who perhaps know a thing or two about boxing...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Macca

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »
I speak from subjective observation, with boxing knowledge and experience. I have never rated Naseem. he never respected opponents and I mean established boxers. I dont mean he just flippantly made the usual pre-fight speak, he literally never showed any respect to opponents. I waited for years for Barrera to batter him, everyone who knows about boxing knew he avoided Barrera.
Perhaps the fact he is a Muslim got him a place in the Hall of Fame??

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2019, 01:54:26 PM »
no mate the fact he was one of the best pound for pound boxers England have ever produced got him into boxings hall of fame...

Macca

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2019, 08:13:55 AM »
When I say > "he turned his back on opponents" I do not mean metaphorically as in avoided good opponents, he fought good opponents but never respected anyone. In the ring he literally turned his body around, so his back was to his opponent knowing a counter punch was heading his way. I never liked him.
I dont like the current  pre-fight hype - I have never, pre 2010, heard top boxers saying they "will kill" an opponent using the F word and C word. Tyson Fury - Wilder and others are an absolute disgrace to boxing. Boxing today, especially in the Heavyweight division, is akin to the Wrestling mode of operation.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:12:37 PM »
well mate i also talk about boxing from, subjective observation, with boxing knowledge and experience..
now if naz turned his back because he knew a punch was coming he must have been faster than even i thought he was, because its a lot easier to bob than turn your back on an opponent..
the rule about turning your back is certainly in the amateur rules, but is it in the pro rules?..
Naz certainly blotted his book when he left Brendan Ingle and was handled by his brother...

Ode Iron

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »
Saw a good few bouts with John H Stracey..good boxer and great stance.
Masks are muzzles

Macca

« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
I see his persona, an arrogant, egotistical person who, unlike 99% of boxers, will knowingly turn his back on an opponent. That is not the same as a natural through movement from loss of balance. I has never had any humility. Hence he soon lost his way. A professional has some leeway in the less obvious moves, such as a clash of heads but it is an offence to punch outside the target area thus Hamid knows the punching must stop when he shows his back to an opponent. it is cheating.
Leaving Ingle seemed to me as also a sign of Hamids arrogance.

Macca

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »
Saw a good few bouts with John H Stracey..good boxer and great stance.

I saw Stracey live against Dave "Boy" Green.. the famous "egg size bruise" on his head. Stracey was a class act but Dave was a fierce battling fighter. I know Dave Green quite well, ironically the punch I rate as the best I have ever seen (a combo actually) was the punch that finished Dave Green in round 11 against Palomino.. for the world title. Dave won every round and was on his way to being world champ but Palomino dished out this perfectly timed 1..2 .... perfect foot position, perfect balance over a short distance... Dave was KOed before he hit the deck. The best KO i have ever seen.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »
when you consider he had 37 fights with 36 wins so he was doing summit right
yes i likes John H.  too, we have always had a good crop in the lighter weights, but never really had a good big-un... now we have a full house of them, thanks mainly to lottery money i fancy...

Macca

« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2019, 04:02:30 PM »
when you consider he had 37 fights with 36 wins so he was doing summit right
yes i likes John H.  too, we have always had a good crop in the lighter weights, but never really had a good big-un... now we have a full house of them, thanks mainly to lottery money i fancy...

I dont rate any of the UK heavyweights. In the pre 1990s era none of our current heavyweights would be in the top 20 ratings.