Author Topic: Introducing mike4550  (Read 1318 times)

mike4550

Introducing mike4550
« on: Dec 01, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
Well not actually as I am leaving it for a while as I am undecided about the forum. Within a few days of joining a senior member who probably was in the senior service and smoked senior service told me to "sling your hook"!

Since then I have browsed the forum a few times and decided that a high percentage of members are right wing racists! It seems as if someone supports Remain or gives to the homeless they are classified as a brainless idiot. Some people need to take time to reflect!

Michael Rolls

Re: Introducing mike4550
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2019, 12:36:57 PM »
Sadly, you sound like all too many Remainers,
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
Well not actually as I am leaving it for a while as I am undecided about the forum. Within a few days of joining a senior member who probably was in the senior service and smoked senior service told me to "sling your hook"!

Since then I have browsed the forum a few times and decided that a high percentage of members are right wing racists! It seems as if someone supports Remain or gives to the homeless they are classified as a brainless idiot. Some people need to take time to reflect!

You're not wrong Mike..Good manners are somewhat lacking among some of the older members. I stay out of such things now but it's sad when folk feel they can't have an opinion.

richmond62

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2019, 12:51:06 PM »
Oh: I want Scotland, at least, to remain in the EU.

I am not racist (bloody difficult that when I am married to someone from the other end of Europe) any more
that we ALL naturally are insofar as we tend to favour our own lot.

I am reasonably right-wing insofar as I really don't like state interference in too many things:
but on the other hand I do believe  state medical care is a must in any country that claims to be civilised.

There do seem to be quite a few reasonably bigotted people hereabouts: but that might be because they
are representative of the views of pensioners in the British Isles: and, odd as this may seem, democracy
if it is to be any sort of democracy at all has to accommodate bigotted people as well as others.

Sometimes I wonder if what we feel to be bigotted people are just people who feel rather strongly about things
in a different way to the way we do.

Surely the world is big enough for all of us!

Real tolerance is not necessarily agreeing with other people's opinions but listening to them and being
prepared to alter one's opinions if their arguments make more sense than your own.

Personally I dislike public displays of homosexuality (well, I also dislike teenagers making heterosexual
exhibitions of themselves on the benches in the park), and am not afraid to say so (unlike a lot of people),
but I am not going to make a big thing about it for the simple reason that were I homosexual I really
don't know how I would behave.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2019, 12:56:03 PM by richmond62 »

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »
Hi Mike4550  :)  Please don't give up on us we're an ok bunch really. It's hard to feel accepted into a new forum as nobody holds your hand.. It was bad luck you fell foul of someone, perhaps they were just having a bad day, sure we argue and get very vocal at times and like kids of ALL ages we can get annoyed and Flounce off for a while, but we always return to the fold. Everyone's up in arms about the Brexit carry on, both leavers and remainers are feeling out of sorts the now and are extra grumpy and on edge.

Once Brexit is done and dusted the next big thing will probably be Scotland's Indyref2,  again feelings will be running high and I'll be in the firing line of some of the members over it as I'm wanting it to happen but I'm a small voice in a large pool of mostly English Members and I'm a wee Highland Lass.
I don't think I come under the right wing racist flag, but if I really don't agree with some of the things being posted I keep out of it, saves my temper and my blood pressure from rising. Anyway glad to meet you and I hope you stay.

xetog

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2019, 02:49:03 PM »
Hi mike4550.  I haven't read any of your posts, so cannot have replied to them and although I am an 'old' member, I hope none of my material has been offensive to you.  I would go along with richmond22 in terms of comments (although I am not Scots).  I do though find many comments on this forum that do not meet with my taste, so unless I feel that something is unduly provocative, I just ignore it.  I don't mind a good argument though when something comes up that appeals.

We are a 'broad church' (how I hate that description) but from my viewpoint those who are to the left and/or are remainers give as good as they get.  It's a free forum so let your opinion be known.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

richmond62

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
Not a "church of broads", as in "broads", in the American sense that is.  :)

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
I'm sure some of our goils go to church..

Alfred

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2019, 03:50:57 PM »
Hello Mike 4550 ,
welcome to the forum ,from time to time there are debates.and opinions differ  but that's all they are,   every one is entitled to his or her opinion and its that which makes this forum different from some of the others, ,

we have a variety of topics and every day some one comes up with something which we feel we can get involved with , were are a friendly lot, and not to be taken too seriously,

simply like to be involved, and that's it, so come on in and join us ,.

welcome to have you on board,
Alfred,.

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
I have no idea which thread caused such a reaction.  There has always been disagreement on here, I frequently get told what I'm thinking by another member, but I just ignore it.  Like richmond, I don't like too much state interference, but unlike some others, I do believe in support for vulnerable people.  I also agree re tolerance. If I didn't I'd have gone long ago.  We don't all hold firmly entrenched opinions, some of us actually realise we don't know everything, and are still prepared to learn from others.  😉
Comparison is the thief of joy.
Theodore Roosevelt.

Cee Gee

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
As I am one of the poor that shop at Aldi and Lidl You would not want to be around me any way.

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »
So do I Cee Gee, nothing wrong with that, good places to shop.

Cee Gee

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2019, 10:07:07 PM »
So do I Cee Gee, nothing wrong with that, good places to shop.

Agree Jacqueline their goods are of good quality and value, but the stores said to be full of poor people.

Hugh

« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »
I use Aldi because I can find what I want and do not have the bother of hiking round much larger stores, which enjoy moving goods around. I found Tesco very bad at it and now avoid this store as much as possible.

Back to topic, welcome aboard mike4550. Forums are no different to the out side world, if some one annoys you, you ignore them.

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:01:50 AM »
Sorry Mike, too busy answering about Aldi, welcome to the forum.

I am very opinionated about things, but love a good debate, I have a lefty liberal granddaughter we love each other to bits but have totally opposite views on many things and many arguments. That's what makes the world go round.