Author Topic: Bedroom Tax  (Read 944 times)

Raymond Shemilt

Bedroom Tax
« on: May 29, 2020, 02:59:09 PM »
At the end of June I start receiving my state pension, I am also in receipt of ESA (Support Group) and PIP. My wife does not start receiving her Pension until September 2021. At the moment I am having to pay Bedroom tax for my daughters room as she is away at university I have tried appealing but my council (Cornwall insist that I am Liable).

What I want to know is that do I still have to pay it when my pension starts, the council is saying I do and have to until my wife starts her pension, is this correct I thought pensioners were exempt from the Bedroom tax.

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

Ray

mick607

Re: Bedroom Tax
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 04:17:41 PM »
You are most likely living in a Universal Credit area ? As such you will be deemed as living in a mixed age marriage, your wife not being a pensioner is going to cost you.Get proper advice from Citizens Advice etc.

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:07:49 AM »
Good advice mick.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »
Sorry Raymond, we've never had any benefits & always paid full whack so the advice to ask Citizens Advice is definitely a good option.

We do have one member who's an expert at getting as much out of the system while putting as little into the system, so you may yet get some good advice from the forum
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)