Author Topic: What foot cream is the best?  (Read 1501 times)

BML

What foot cream is the best?
« on: Jun 02, 2020, 01:42:53 PM »
I'm a mid eighties male with type two diabetes and a number of other little problems and my nurse daughter told me that I should be using foot cream nightly so I thought that I would see whats on the Internet and I was confronted by hundreds with smart adverts constructed by even smarter marketing experts.  I then tried contacting various bodies to get a recommendation with no luck.  I don't mind paying but I do object to a bunch of advertising groups trying to get their hands on my money so, has anyone come across a recommended foot cream from their medical people?     

Michael Rolls

Re: What foot cream is the best?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2020, 01:46:44 PM »
I just use a generic E45 cream on my feet, which please my chiropodist
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2020, 05:09:11 PM »
Ditto
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »
I have to plaster my legs every day, I have some E45 that I use as a backup supply but the one I get on prescription is called Zerobase which seems to soak in better and seems less greasy, it might be worth trying a few different ones to find what suits you best.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

BML

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2020, 10:50:45 PM »
Many thanks for such down to earth common sense replies after looking at the flood of adverts on the Internet.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2020, 11:46:57 PM »
I'm a mid eighties male with type two diabetes and a number of other little problems and my nurse daughter told me that I should be using foot cream nightly.   

I'm a Type 1 and no one has ever mentioned that I should put cream on my hairy legs.

BML

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »
 [size=0pt]My apologies, I should said that I have Eczema on my lower legs which I thought was as a result of sunburn caused by wearing sandals and shorts a couple of summers ago.    When I showed my legs to the Doctor he said nothing other than, "thats Eczema.  As a Type Two Diabetic I knew that I should be treating the souls of my feet and heels as they tend to dry out with the skin cracking with an appropriate cream. I should also have been treating my lower legs twice a day. After reading an article on Eczema on the Internet as soon I decided that as soon as it feels safe to visit our surgery I will ask my Doctor if I could see a dermatologist as they can advise a precise treatment which can ameliorate the condition.

Coastal

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
In my case I had a DVT just over 30 years ago, my legs (from the knees down) get very swollen especially if i'm just standing, but the worst part is the inside of the foot where the skin dries up and cracks, so I have to apply cream everyday from the knees down (not actually to my feet though) I was advised to apply it to my legs but not rub it in too much and leave it to soak in for 10 minutes before using the compression stockings, (not essential to wear them but much more comfortable than not)   
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »
I just use a generic E45 cream on my feet, which please my chiropodist
Sorry for the pedantry but E45 is a brand and not generic medicine. They make lots of different stuff.
https://www.e45.co.uk/our-products/
So long and thanks for all the fish

BML

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2020, 04:45:19 PM »
 Find your E45
Sorry for the pedantry but E45 is a brand and not generic medicine. They make lots of different stuff.
Your not pedantic at all because its was well worth making me aware of the complexity of this matter as was proved when I keyed into the internet, “https://www.e45.co.uk/our-products/ ” into the Internet and a picture of a couple of dozen different pots came up as well as the following.
“E45’s extensive range of products are specially formulated to help manage dry or itchy skin, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis or ichthyosis. You’ll find emollients that retain moisture and an effective cleansing range that make it easy to build a healthy skincare routine into your lifestyle.”
To cut a long story short I finished up with an inexpensive 500g pot marked, “E45 White soft paraffin Light liquid paraffin anhydrous lanolin (medilan) which I hope is what I need but I will now Email my Doctor to ask him.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Jun 04, 2020, 04:53:47 PM »
My apologies.
In addition to E45, on the stuff I use, it also says rich 24 hour lotion.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2020, 05:03:15 PM »
I think you mostly need to moisturise feet. I may be wrong though.

I attack my own with a purpose made  rotary tool about once a week as one foot in particular seems to built up hard skin quite rapidly. They get a quick rub with a sort of emery paper tool most days in the shower. I should moisturise them daily but frequently don't.

I think the main reason diabetics need to look after their feet is because they are prone to not feeling pain in extremities and can get some quite horrendous damage to them without being aware of it. If left long enough it could end with amputation.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/complications/feet?gclid=CjwKCAjwt-L2BRA_EiwAacX32cLHo3IMHDqySAPswaIDT3MuDgBCwKXAr-c4zXd-nhksNc7UnAbOixoCbbcQAvD_BwE
So long and thanks for all the fish

BML

« Reply #12 on: Jun 04, 2020, 05:41:42 PM »
I've been marrid 55 years and therfore feel no pain.

Alfred

« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2020, 07:33:25 AM »
Hello BML.

my wife and daughter only use Aqueous cream it comes in a 500 ml plastic tub and it cost just over £1.00
so once they have soaked their feet on goes the aqueous cream ,

Cee Gee

« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2020, 08:50:15 AM »
I do my wife's feet on a regular basis. First any hard skin removed with an abrasive stone, then rub in Pink pepermint cream by Lush. This she says gives her happy feet and a feeling of well being. :)