Author Topic: I'm going to miss this board.  (Read 1046 times)

stellamaris

I'm going to miss this board.
« on: Sep 09, 2020, 12:54:10 PM »
I hope, hope, hope it is temporary.   I've got a brand new puppy.   Technically it should be belonging to my granddaughter and significant other.  They really want a dog when they eventually get a place of their own but I was asked if I would have it until then and make it into a well trained happy dog.   All well and good.  But they have bought the cutest dog they could find and equally one of the hardest to train or to be able to separate from.   It is a Petit Brabancon - that is a smooth coated Belgian Griffin.  Hard to find in the UK and stupidly expensive.  They travelled from Leeds to London to find the right one and eventually got one from Wolverhampton - home bred from family pets that are still with the family along with a few others.    She [Gilda] is nearly 12 weeks old and will get her final vaccination on Friday - which I hope will improve my sanity.

I can understand why, as people are asking, Cassandra hasn't surfaced much.  I believe he has recently taken charge of a puppy.  These fancy dogs are a nightmare.  Puppy wolfhounds are much easier - plus any sort of terrier.   This one is a quick learner but is also quite wilful.  She will sleep for hours if she is is within touching distance and has already learned that my lap top will never be available.

She sleeps quite well through the night in a cage [cage training is a must for this breed and she is used to it] - but I have to get to bed well before midnight if I want to get six or 7 hours in]. 

The other thing is - my grand-daughter and boyfriend are waiting on a position in Dubai in the new year - so that sort of fails on the promise that they will take her if I become unable through illness to look after her!!!!  Anyway - I've got a dog sling that she disappears into and is totally unnoticeable - although people are going to doubt my cross-body fashion choices ;D .   

My friend also got two small puppies about in April and her much older husband has now become rather ill.  She is my Cheshire Oaks and any other shops best friend and her husband has always looked after their dogs [they have always had two].   We are now prisoners and are thinking seriously about getting doggy pushchairs to hide them when we want to go shopping. ;D ;D

Right, Gilda has now woken up so I will report back in a year or two. ;D  I am still hoping to have a quick read a few times a week.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty

zoony

Re: I'm going to miss this board.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2020, 01:04:35 PM »
Please don't go far Spud..I hope I'm not betraying a confidence when I say that Cassandra's new adoptee is proving to be a very positive addition to his partnership with Albert who has adapted to his older brother role with equanimity.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2020, 01:41:41 PM »
Teach her to use the keyboard!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »
You may be in for a longer fostering than you thought SM   but I hope you still find time to check in !

I hope they look into things before taking a dog to Dubai as dogs aren't thought of as ' friendly' there.  They're not allowed in many areas,[including parks and beaches.  I only know about this as an old friend's son and his wife work in a hotel over there and they have a great life style, but no pets !

Who would have the dog when they're both working ? 
p.s. when you've had Gilda for 6 months I bet you won't want to part with her

Cassandra

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »
Please don't go far Spud..I hope I'm not betraying a confidence when I say that Cassandra's new adoptee is proving to be a very positive addition to his partnership with Albert who has adapted to his older brother role with equanimity.

Yes as Zoon knows the new arrival is settling in as if she'd always been here ... Already 5 months when I got her and well disciplined by her breeder.

Following a family bereavement when I was a child my parents got a dog for me. An English Bull Terrier, he arrived as a tiny white pup and my mother never had the will power to stop him sleeping in my presence from the very first night. We were inseparable and I've somehow always been able to communicate with dogs and never had problems with simple disciplines and requests.

Being an existentialist I believe a creatures personality should express itself, but within commonly shared values of understanding to the law & order of the community! This new and tiny dog (4+lbs) has it's own little staircase up to my bed and another for the lounge sofa, because her legs are so tiny! The three of us sleep together and the only distraction they cause is when Albert snores occasionally?

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »
"This new and tiny dog (4+lbs) has it's own little staircase up to my bed and another for the lounge sofa, because her legs are so tiny! The three of us sleep together and the only distraction they cause is when Albert snores occasionally?"[/size]

[/size]
Great stuff Cass, we only have them for a few years, they should be pampered. [/size]

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
Why all of a sudden am I getting these brackets and /size )  ?  🙄

Bee

« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »
I have had that as well when I copy and paste, I just modify and delete the size/bracket.
The only way is up....

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:49:34 PM »
Me too. It's a weird and occasional glitch..Somebody explained it here once but it didn't stick..

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
"This new and tiny dog (4+lbs) has it's own little staircase up to my bed and another for the lounge sofa, because her legs are so tiny! The three of us sleep together and the only distraction they cause is when Albert snores occasionally?"

Great stuff Cass, we only have them for a few years, they should be pampered.

Thanks Alex, I'm so conscious of that. Perhaps they may be the ones to be left alone as my life comes to an end. ... like as the waves rush towards the pebbled shore, so do our moments hasten to their end ...

They're both young dogs and my Estate is left divided, in a separate and adequate trust for them and others separately endowed. 'contemporaneously'. :)

However I'm fortunate that they have an echelon of willing adoptees, many much younger then myself.
I've always been accused of spoiling my dogs? However they have all been well balanced, even tempered beings full of fun and who make me laugh every day.

For that value alone, I enjoy the ruinous lifestyle we share together! :) 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2020, 04:43:52 PM »
Cassandra
Love the sound of the little one and her tiny legs
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2020, 06:22:57 PM »
I hope they look into things before taking a dog to Dubai as dogs aren't thought of as ' friendly' there.

UAE is a Moslem country and dogs are regarded as "unclean" in the Moslem religion. There are very few dogs on this estate but plenty of cats!  One of my neighbours (European of some variety) has a small designer dog and told me some of the neighbours glare at it. Needless to say they keep a close eye on it.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Bee

« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
I have 2 daughters in law who are Muslim and both families have dogs as pets.
The only way is up....

Cassandra

« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2020, 10:53:31 PM »
I always remember a 'Maliki' muslim coming to my home for a meeting once. He would not enter as his creed believed that angels do not enter a home with dogs in it. He was an essential witness in the case I was defending at the time and was a much respected scholar of the Sunni Islamic faith, ardent followers of Sharia Law. However I knew by research their desire to resolve legal differences by consensus. We eventually found a way for him to help our case after negotiation for which I had to gain the courts agreement.

To avoid offence, as he had travelled a long way and was importantly my guest, I asked our next door neighbour to mind my little friend whilst he visited.

Bee

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2020, 03:29:21 AM »
With the many Muslims I have met through my daughters in law their beliefs and faith vary, my daughters in law are 2 sisters and even their beliefs and faith vary.
The only way is up....