Author Topic: State pension approx half of minimum living wage  (Read 3975 times)

klondike

Re: State pension approx half of minimum living wage
« Reply #30 on: Apr 05, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
I have read an article on how clothes sizing works and why it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but as that is off topic I dare not discuss it here for fear of censure.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #31 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:00:02 PM »
Not like you Klondy  8)

klondike

« Reply #32 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:16:33 PM »
Well you have to keep up with opinion. Apparently sloppy wandering off topic is spoiling the forum or so it has been said. Oh bugger. Off topic again. Naughty. Naughty. Naughty.

Alex22

« Reply #33 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »
Wandering off topic is a requirement of membership Klondy, take no notice of Hugh he was just having a rough day.

em

« Reply #34 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:53:53 PM »
Tell me about clothes sizing and risk being censured or censored.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #35 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:54:58 PM »
Well, I have noticed how clothes shrink recently
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

em

« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2021, 08:06:21 PM »
so do bath towels.Before lockdown I am sure I could tie one comfortably round my so-called waist.

Diasi

« Reply #37 on: Apr 05, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »
My basic is only £135 according to the notice just received, although I do have an addition from having been contracted out, but even then it is nowhere near £312
Mike

Yes, I'm a lucky recipient of £135 a week.

I had a list of world-wide pensions, which I can no longer find, but the UK State Pension was well down towards the bottom of it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #38 on: Apr 06, 2021, 08:03:46 AM »
Wandering off topic is a requirement of membership Klondy, take no notice of Hugh he was just having a rough day.
Perhaps you remember my comment on why I post in Brian's word game  ;D

klondike

« Reply #39 on: Apr 06, 2021, 08:13:21 AM »
Tell me about clothes sizing and risk being censured or censored.
There is no standard. Each manufacturer decides that some model or other of their choice is (say) size 10 and make clothes to fit that model.  I think it said other sizes are scaled from that but suspect that wouldn't work well if you go to say size 20 as I doubt everything changes in proportion. Judging by what you see hanging over the sides of seats sometimes I'm sure it can't  :)

Anyway each manufacturer uses a slightly different baseline and what's more they change them over the years. M&S clothes can last a very long time and old ones and new ones can both carry different sizes yet both fit.

Mens clothes tend to be specified in chest and waist sizes plus leg lengths (women's jeans at least seem to be too).

The XS S M L XL 2XL labelling system seems to be very variable too with (say) an L from one source matching the XL from another. Madness that probably cost a fortune in returns now so much stuff is ought online.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #40 on: Apr 06, 2021, 09:25:01 AM »
good point - I have some L and XL which both fit. Bought a dressing gown - terry towelling and it's just for after shower use, and I wanted to make sure it didn't shrink in the wash and become too small (honest, guv - that's what happened!) I got an XXL - I could use it as a tent! Even the sleeves are several inches past my fingertips
Mike

Raven

« Reply #41 on: Apr 06, 2021, 12:25:46 PM »
Clothes sizing infuriates me. I think it should be the same the world over. I once ordered a lovely dressy top for nights out at out local. I ordered from what was supposed to be a UK Seller in a size 14. It came from China and yes the label said it was a size 14 but it would have fitted a ten year old, in fact it did, as I gave it to a friend who has a young grandaughter. I didn't know at the time the Asian sizes were a lot smaller to ours but they had the same labels. Now I am more than careful of who I buy from on Ebay and if I'm not sure I message the sellar first and ask if their sizes are UK or Asian.

sneakysnoopysniper

« Reply #42 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »
I could have told you athat about buying on Ebay! You can get these wonderful looking wedding dresses. They look stunning on the pretty young Chinese model. When they arrive they are often poorly made and do not fit. So disappointing for brides etc. Megan's wedding dress looked like it was bought on Ebay as it did not fit her properly around the bust. If thats French tailoring then you can keep it. She would have been better to go to a British fashion house like Kate. Hers was beautifully fitted and really showed off her figure.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools

Raven

« Reply #43 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »
The wedding dress I really liked was the one Princess Anne wore for her 1st marriage, It was really lovely I thought.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #44 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »
Good Lord - is it really over 47 years ago? And Peter and Zara are 42/3, 39/40 depending on dates of birthdays
Mike