Author Topic: Chicago Police  (Read 990 times)

Alex22

Chicago Police
« on: Apr 16, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
A Chicago police officer has shot and killed a 13 year old black boy.   This happened at 3 o'clock in the morning and the boy was carrying a gun.   He was told to drop the weapon, which he did but he was still shot.  79 police officers were killed in Chicago in 2020 so it's understandable any officer in this situation fearing for his life, BUT what I don't understand is why do the police not aim to incapacitate a suspected felon, a shot to the leg would do it.

More riots on the cards no doubt.

crabbyob

Re: Chicago Police
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2021, 12:00:34 PM »
a great question Alex... a good quality hand gun is accurate up to thirty meteres...lol... and you can spend your life shooting at targets, none of which will be of the slightest use to you when confronted by an armed person. i recon i could certainly hit someone in the leg from...mmmm five yards, and believe it or not, that would be a good shot, but if the guy had a gun pointed at you, trust me you are aiming at the body mass to be sure of a hit...
i could hit a man in the head at three hundred yards with my sevice rifle, but might do more damage by throwing a handgun than fireing it... they now have cartridges that fire little bags of summit heavy, that might break your ribs at twenty yards, they also have tazers that you can fire from perhaps ten yards, either is better than the handgun...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Marshal

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
... 79 police officers were killed in Chicago in 2020 so it's understandable any officer in this situation fearing for his life, BUT what I don't understand is why do the police not aim to incapacitate a suspected felon, a shot to the leg would do it.

Just picking up on part of that, the FBI lists deaths in action of Law Enforcement Officers for 2019 as 48 for the whole of the US. If that's true it might put a slightly different slant on your point.

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2021, 03:23:30 PM »
what I don't understand is why do the police not aim to incapacitate a suspected felon, a shot to the leg would do it.
That's because you've never fired a handgun or if you have it was on a range. They can't all be Clint Eastwood and take the nuts off a housefly at 50 paces.  I've never been shot at or feared being shot at but if I had I can guarantee may aim would be centre of mass.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »

Just picking up on part of that, the FBI lists deaths in action of Law Enforcement Officers for 2019 as 48 for the whole of the US. If that's true it might put a slightly different slant on your point.

I just quoted what I'd read, I wasn't going to nit pick. If the info is wrong then I apologise.  Have a look on here, this will keep you busy  Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2020

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »
When I had my Smith and Wesson, I could put every shot into a target the size of the palm of your hand at 20 yards. I could put three shoots out of five into an area the size of your chest - centre mass - at a 100 yards - BUT this was on the range and I knew the targets weren't going to shoot back. I have never had to use a handgun - nor any other weapon - when in potential fear of my life. I'm sure it changes things
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Marshal

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2021, 07:18:35 PM »

I just quoted what I'd read, I wasn't going to nit pick. If the info is wrong then I apologise.  Have a look on here, this will keep you busy  Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2020
If you click, for instance, the 45 deaths through gunfire, you'll see that they are from all over the US. Chicago isn't mention on the page you linked to or on the pages listed as having gunfire casualties. Sorry to nitpick, but the difference between zero and 79 is, percentage wise, large and as a defence for the officer's actions quite different. Is this how we report the news now, just grab a figure out of the air then apologise is someone notices it's fake?

Just for interest sake, turns out that, of the 10 officers who died in the line of duty in Illinois, 9 are listed as dying from Covid 19.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2021, 01:46:47 AM »
If you click, for instance, the 45 deaths through gunfire, you'll see that they are from all over the US. Chicago isn't mention on the page you linked to or on the pages listed as having gunfire casualties. Sorry to nitpick, but the difference between zero and 79 is, percentage wise, large and as a defence for the officer's actions quite different. Is this how we report the news now, just grab a figure out of the air then apologise is someone notices it's fake?

My apology was for posting information which, thanks to your diligence, the numbers proved to be incorrect.  At the end of the day and however many officers were shot, one is too many.   

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2021, 10:37:54 AM »
can you even imagine how those police officers feel at start of shift, knowing that they or the person beside them might not finish that shift, because a thirteen years old parents couldnt control their son to the extent that he was walking down the street at 3 a.m armed.... and they are shouting at the officer who expects every coloured male to be armed and willing to shoot him? i have no love of the police, but my goodness if there were none of them we would all need to be armed.... its time the parents were made be responcible...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
They are responsible - they just don’t face up to the fact
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Marshal

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2021, 05:28:03 PM »

My apology was for posting information which, thanks to your diligence, the numbers proved to be incorrect.  At the end of the day and however many officers were shot, one is too many.
That's not the point, is it Alex,?  Of the 10 in the whole of Illinois only one was from Chicago and he died of Covid, the remaining Illinois officer died in a road accident.  So no officers were killed in Chicago; zero. How is that one too many and how is it a defence of the officers behaviour?  Your number was simply made up, it didn't appear anywhere on page you quoted; it wasn't an error. You and many others here are very quick to tell me that you won't even begin to read news provided by the BBC or the Guardian, but you have no qualms about inventing figures to support your own agenda. It makes me wonder about the veracity of other posts, or do you expect other readers in the forum to check every 'fact' you post; you are responsible for your own diligence, just as you expect the media to be.     

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2021, 05:48:28 PM »
can you even imagine how those police officers feel at start of shift, knowing that they or the person beside them might not finish that shift, because a thirteen years old parents couldnt control their son to the extent that he was walking down the street at 3 a.m armed.... and they are shouting at the officer who expects every coloured male to be armed and willing to shoot him? i have no love of the police, but my goodness if there were none of them we would all need to be armed.... its time the parents were made be responcible...

Certainly not a job I would want any of my nearest and dearest doing out there Crabby. 

Reminds me of my Aunt back in the 1970s when she went to visit her son my cousin Bob who had emigrated to America.  They were driving to his house from Boston airport when the Police pulled him for some traffic offence and asked for their ID, Auntie Vi went to put her hand in her bag to fetch her passport,  cousin Bob screamed at her to keep her hands where the cop could see them "your not in England now you know, they shoot you here they think you might be reaching for a gun".

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »

Just for interest sake, turns out that, of the 10 officers who died in the line of duty in Illinois, 9 are listed as dying from Covid 19.

To nit-pick about where in the US the 45 officers were killed is ridiculous.

Every police officer in the US will have that figure in their head when they chase a waste-of-space down a dark alley.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2021, 08:58:44 PM »
I agree..
Every time a cop goes out on patrol his life is at risk ..
They have a greater chance of being killed/wounded because the people they deal with , black or white , will shoot without any hesitation.. Be they 10/40/ or 80 year olds..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »
I agree..
Every time a cop goes out on patrol his life is at risk ..
They have a greater chance of being killed/wounded because the people they deal with , black or white , will shoot without any hesitation.. Be they 10/40/ or 80 year olds..

Indeed, nit-picking about where the officers were shot is like arguing on the Titanic about where the goddamned deckchairs were made.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)