Author Topic: Well chuffed  (Read 501 times)

Cee Gee

Well chuffed
« on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:32:35 AM »
I have a HP all in one desk top computer. It is a decent spec with a mechanical hard disc drive 1Tb. yesterday I cloned the HDD onto a SSD drive, fitting it ws a bit of a fiddle but I managed it. Wow what a difference. I now have a super fast desktop. ;D ;D ;D 

klondike

Re: Well chuffed
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:37:32 AM »
Well done.

Moving to SSD is the most effective upgrade these days. It used to be adding RAM but most machines come with plenty now.

As you said fitting it was a fiddle I'm guessing you held onto the mechanical drive for data storage. If you can do that it certainly reduces the cost a lot.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Cee Gee

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »
Thanks Klondike. As there is nothing wrong with the HDD I am keeping it as is. If the SSD fails at any time I can re install the HDD. :)

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2021, 01:33:31 PM »
The mechanical drive is more likely too fail than the SSD although they will fail on heavy usage eventually. Monitoring the S.M.A.R.T. data will let you know drive health - https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

I have put relatively small SSDs in all my PCs and use a network attached RAID for important stuff and external disks for big temporary data.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Cee Gee

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2021, 04:59:04 PM »
Thanks again Klondike........gives me something to read up on. :)