Author Topic: climate change  (Read 747 times)

Michael Rolls

climate change
« on: May 02, 2021, 10:22:11 PM »
Apparently the April just finished is the UK's coldest for 99 years. No doubt fascinating, but I do get fed up with the constant harping on how a decade/year/month/week/day  is the hottest/coldest/wettest, whatever 'since records began' - and quite often those turn out to be only 50 years or so old. Even looking back a couple of centuries - in the life cycle of the planet, that is a totally insignificant period of time
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

Re: climate change
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:35:00 AM »
Mike, It was also one of the sunniest on record so, in one way, swings and roundabouts. Cold and wet or frosty and sunny? I hope you'll forgive my asking but do you not believe the world's climates are changing? In a big way?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:44:53 AM »
It always has and always will. 250,000 years ago, the atmosphere was far more polluted than it is today due to volcanic activity. We are still emerging from the most recent ice age. Within that overall change there have been, and there will continue to be ‘blips’. In the 1880s, there were some very cold winters, so much so that our local library when I lived in Surbiton had photos of the Thames frozen all the way across, with people skating on it, and in one of them an ox being roasted out on the ice. The Krakatoa eruption of 1883 caused the world’s average temperature to drop by 2C (Wiki claims only 0.4C and I can’t remember where I read the 2C figure – it was a good while ago) and - IIRC - it took over a year for things to return to normal. I have no doubt that human activity affects the climate, but there are conflicting  views as to how significant it is. To my mind the green lobby’s hysteria is ill-founded and threatens to see personal living standards considerably reduced for the less well-off as ‘green tax’ after ‘green tax’ is heaped upon us to achieve ‘carbon zero’
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 03:45:57 AM »
There are typos in that which for some reason I can’t correct on the tablet - watch this space
Mike  - now corrected

klondike

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 08:29:22 AM »
I hope you'll forgive my asking but do you not believe the world's climates are changing? In a big way?
I'm no longer 100% certain that there is currently a period of human caused climate change in progress. It seemed a perfectly logical conclusion that an increase in a known greenhouse gas would cause an increase in global temperatures. The problem with simplistic logical conclusions is that they frequently omit all the relevant factors not least because many are simply unknown. There was almost certainly fraud involved in the famous hockey stick graph and that coloured my opinion of those producing the data and wondering just how much was being faked for financial gain.

I am 100% certain that there is currently a huge hike in energy costs in progress and it is being used to line the pockets of those pandering to the green lobby and intent on virtue signalling for political ends.

TLDR;
I'm not convinced.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 08:46:25 AM »
Agree
especially with your last paragraph
Mike

zoony

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »
Ok. Hopefully we can agree to disagree cos it's pointless to argue about it. :)

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »
It certainly is. I remember a quite acrimonious argument with a yank back in the day when I thought it was only common sense. I think we followed on with one about gun control.  ;D

Raven

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 01:41:19 PM »
Front page of last night's Dundee Evening Telegraph.

klondike

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »
If that is coming in 2050 then it is too late to stop it unless they come up with something to suck the CO2 and other greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere. Always assuming that all the temerature rise really is down to the greenhouse effect of course.

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
With all the ice melting we are going to see a lot more flooding in the next few years never mind 2050

Traveller

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »
A recent article in the Telegraph stated...
The new study shows that land levels could rise by up to 10cm in some areas of Scotland over the next century, offsetting the effects of sea level rise caused by global warming...

You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 08:30:57 PM »
swings and roundabouts
Mike

zoony

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 08:47:45 PM »
Not if you live on one of the low-lying Pacific islands it isn't. They're already in trouble as it is!

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »
Thankfully, I live well above sea level, but as we keep seeing, the sea doesn’t need to rise for chaos to occur - heavy rain can do it
Mike