Author Topic: climate change  (Read 743 times)

Traveller

Re: climate change
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 04:37:29 PM »
I was watching 'Landward' , a Scottish rural affairs programme, and one item was about changing coastlines.
Geologists testing soil samples determined that over the past 16,000 years, the sea levels had stayed much the same, but the land had risen and the coastline had receded.  Not sure how widespread this was, but in places, the coastline had receded several hundred metres.
You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »
Down around Norfolk there are several areas which were once on the coast and which are now well inland, the shore having moved hundreds of yards in a few hundred years
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
Same on the south coast at least it is near Rye where there is a Henry 8th (iirc) coastal defence in a field about a Mike from the sea.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 08:37:20 AM »
Thanks, I’ll try it
Mike
I did - absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the link - now breakfast an hour and a half later than usual!
Mike 👍👍👍

Raven

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 11:42:28 AM »
I did - absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the link - now breakfast an hour and a half later than usual!
Mike 👍👍👍

If that's in answer to the link to "If Humans Disappeared" that I put up then I'm glad you enjoyed it. ;D  I was rooted to the programme when it was a weekly series, I just had to see more. :o

Michael Rolls

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 11:49:45 AM »
Yes it was. As I said, fascinating. One few seconds of it I really loved - a small bear emerging from a New York subway station.
I was intrigued by the comments about modern concrete being inferior to that used by the Romans. Some while back I discovered that the Romans developed a concrete that would set under water, something not rediscovered until the 19th century IIRC
Mike

Raven

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2021, 11:55:44 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it Mike, I thought you would. That's why I said you should watch the first 5 minutes. I knew it would grab you, and you'd just have to see the whole thing. ;D
I think there's a lot of excellent things that people used to do, and or use, but have been lost in the mists of time. ::)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
So true. I only wish that I, or my spirit, could somehow be here afte some sort of Armageddon  to find out! Thanks again. Oh, and as a lifetime cat and dog lover, I was pleased to see how both species could be expected to prosper, although little doggies like our darling little Fleur, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, didn’t look too good on the survival stakes
Mike

klondike

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »
Harping back to the current lousy start to spring. Something jogged my memory about contrails and the weather (911 and Iceland volcano incidents lead to them being in the news at those times) I'm sure that there were arguments by different experts on whether they made it warmer or colder overall (don't expect any concensus on anything from climatologists any more than you would from epidemeologists as the money lies in the arguments to suit whoever is paying).

Well air travel and so contrails are well down and here is an argument for warmer. Is that why we are colder? Who knows.

Whoopsie correction....

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-airplane-contrails-are-helping-make-the-planet-warmer

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »
Well I don’t

klondike

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2021, 04:19:31 PM »
Nobody will from that post because I forgot to add the link.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2021, 06:09:47 PM »
Never mind
Mike