Author Topic: Would they become English?  (Read 571 times)

xetog

Would they become English?
« on: May 06, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »
Just a casual thought, most unlikely to happen, but if the UK did break up into it's constituent parts and therefore Britain ceased to exist (we could not call England - Great Britain anymore could we?)  What will be the status of those who currently reside here due to their acquired citizenship of Britain?  Only birth to a person with a birth right to reside in England (or any of the other constituent nations) will have the right to use the nation-specific right to residence and will therefore technically become illegal and possibly have their citizenship annulled.

I wonder how many 'British' citizens living in Scotland and potentially voting for independence have thought of this?  I could go on about all the other anomalies this throws up, but will simply say that I am English and I don't want my government (currently non-existent) to go handing out feu-Englishness to all and sundry and I would guess many native Scots feel pretty much the same.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

Re: Would they become English?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:40 AM »
Also, what would be the status of the 800,000 or so Scots living in other parts of the UK and who have no say in what will happen to their country? That's something like 14.5% of Scotland's total population. To put that into further perspective, the total SNP vote in the 2019 general election was 1,292,380 - so the disenfranchised Scots represent around 2/3 of the number voting for the SNP
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »
About time these 800,000 or so Scots living and working in England shouted loud and clear just how easy it is to get work south of the border under a Tory party. I am a pensioner with a good pension so no need to vote, but do vote Tory because they will work hard to get jobs for every one.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »
Scottish me, English born of English parents, husband, brought up in Scotland, with all his siblings still in Scotland. One Scottish born child, one English born. Both brought up in England.  We're a British family, like so many more. Hence my personal dismay about a break up. 

What passports would apply? Or I might just get an Irish one on the strength of my granny's birthplace.

Hugh, none of our nieces and nephews in Scotland are unemployed.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 11:15:11 AM »
Very pleased to hear it GrannyMac

xetog

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:42:00 AM »
When we had our place in Spain (thankfully sold about 6 years ago), We had friends from all over the UK & Ireland.  The Spanish called us all English, but nobody cared.  However, the identity of say, Scots upon leaving the UK finding themselves in foreign parts is somewhat puzzling.  The same goes for Britons living in Scotland.  It's OK saying they would be welcome to stay wherever they are, but what will be their official status?

Scotland for instance will become a 3rd nation as far as the EU is concerned with no connection, not even a trade agreement with the EU, how will their nationals fare in say, Spain?  How will my sister who is English, long term resident in Scotland, with no official residency, fare?  There are problems in Spain since Brexit concerning the status of British Ex-pats even though there are agreements in existence with the EU over medical care etc.  How will Scots fare when the (British) NHS can no longer be relied upon to fund their care  even though those Scots may be resident in what is still the rump of Britain?  Will the English NHS expect the Scottish NHS to pick up the tab for unnaturalised Scots' medical treatment in English hospitals?  Would Scots living in England have to take English citizenship to qualify for benefits?  That takes 5 years, plus an exam an oath of allegiance to the crown and a ceremony.  Since Scotland would be a foreign country, could Scots resident in England Use British passports or apply for new Scottish ones and a residential visa for England?

I am sure there are dozens more questions so far unasked, and many more unanswered.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:44:55 AM »
Come, come, it’s not fair to expect Nicola and her cohorts to dabble in reality.
Mike

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 12:32:03 PM »

I am sure there are dozens more questions so far unasked, and many more unanswered.

Mike.X

I think Scotland’s biggest problem would be how to cope with its share of the national debt. Even the most favourable calculations show that Scotland would start life with a debt of at least 80 per cent of its GDP. In addition, like other countries it would have to finance its budget deficit by borrowing even more money.

I have always been amazed why any Scot would want to start so called independence as a third world country.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
Me too, but Braveheart seems to have a lot for which to answer
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 12:39:16 PM »
If Scotland gets independence it'll be no different from the independence a kid at university will get.

They'll both be independent until they need the bank of Mum & Dad, which in Scotland's case will be England.

Interestingly, some Scottish manufacturing firms have already stated their intention to relocate to England should Scotland become an independent nation.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »
Understandable Diasi that the Scottish industries will relocate in England, it will take time for them to get their own free trade deals.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 12:48:01 PM »
Including
what used to be the RBS, resulting, if IIRC, losing 8,000 Scottish jobs, but what is that compared to FREEDOM? Freedom, that is, under the benevolent gaze of the EU, always if it will admit a  subservient Scotland? If ever there was an exhibition of misguided heart ruling bemused head......
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 12:57:07 PM »
Understandable Diasi that the Scottish industries will relocate in England, it will take time for them to get their own free trade deals.

The stated reasons were Scottish / English border problems & transport problems.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 01:08:54 PM »
If Scotland gets independence it'll be no different from the independence a kid at university will get.

They'll both be independent until they need the bank of Mum & Dad, which in Scotland's case will be England.

Interestingly, some Scottish manufacturing firms have already stated their intention to relocate to England should Scotland become an independent nation.
To be honest, if Scotland can’t stand the sight of England, why the hell should England wish to help?
Mike

klondike

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 01:11:12 PM »
We need to keep our nukes somewhere and Portsmouth is a bit close to important places (London).
So long and thanks for all the fish