Author Topic: Life partners  (Read 3597 times)

Jacqueline

Re: Life partners
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:37:11 AM »
My thoughts go to you all who have lost your loves, I cannot imagine what it must be like for you. Love to you all.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:38:35 AM »
Thank you
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2021, 05:21:00 PM »
I'm glad that my wife went first as it is I who has to take
the burden of death, not her.

Veronica was disabled to the extent that she could not have lived on her own, so had I gone first she would have had to go in a home, which she would have hated
Mike

Although my wife was much younger than me, she didn't want me to die & leave her on her own & she often asked me to promise not to leave her, which I always did.

A big ask with me being 18 year older, but I suppose I can say that I kept my promise
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2021, 06:17:25 PM »
So did I
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2021, 07:03:06 PM »
Although my wife was much younger than me, she didn't want me to die & leave her on her own & she often asked me to promise not to leave her, which I always did.

A big ask with me being 18 years older, but I suppose I can say that I kept my promise
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Yellowbird

« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2021, 01:55:32 AM »
It has now been a year since I lost my beloved husband, the sadness and pain of  loss has not diminished in any way. Each day is a new loss.
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2021, 04:33:31 AM »
Sadly, that is how it is. For me, every day is just another without Veronica
Mike

Maddie Malone

« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2021, 08:45:04 AM »
Itís not been a year yet for me . I try to think of the good times that we had together . He was always working hard saving for retirement which sadly didnít happen as he was diagnosed with his cancer a few weeks before he was due to finish work and start our dream .

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2021, 10:06:09 AM »
Maddie, that is so sad. At least Veronica and I had some fifteen years together after retirement, even if for eleven of those years Veronica was increasingly disabled
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »
Itís not been a year yet for me . I try to think of the good times that we had together . He was always working hard saving for retirement which sadly didnít happen as he was diagnosed with his cancer a few weeks before he was due to finish work and start our dream .

Maddie, that is sad, especially when you see a 100-yr-old, slumped in a chair, dribbling, in a care home, wondering why there are strangers round them singing happy birthday.

Cassandra

« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:00:21 PM »
Its Been 24 years now since I lost my wife to cancer at a tragically young age. I speak out loud to her every day several times and ask for her help when I canít find something, or wonder why Iíve come into a room from time to time! The stark change of suddenly being alone was a vacuum I firstly tried to fill with work and my friends lent support. Embracing, not falsely rejecting memories and their laughter and happiness has helped greatly.

We knew she was to die and quickly Christmas Eve í97 and ever since Iíve rejected this period, no decorations and cards are discarded to a drawer as soon as they arrive.

This year I was Ďguest of honourí at my cousins celebratory Xmas lunch, with cascades of young children, who were all very well behaved.

However it was blissful to return to my new home. To be greeted by my two little dogs, light up the log fire and switch on memories of Xmas past with the New World Symphony in the background.

Was I embracing the bitter sweetness of nostalgia? Yes wholeheartedly and with intent ...

We look before and after,
we pine for what is not.
our sincerest laughter with some pain is fraught,
our sweetest songs are those
that tell of saddest thought ...
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:34:56 PM »
Its Been 24 years now since I lost my wife to cancer at a tragically young age. I speak out loud to her every day several times and ask for her help when I canít find something, or wonder why Iíve come into a room from time to time! The stark change of suddenly being alone was a vacuum I firstly tried to fill with work and my friends lent support. Embracing, not falsely rejecting memories and their laughter and happiness has helped greatly.

We knew she was to die and quickly Christmas Eve í97 and ever since Iíve rejected this period, no decorations and cards are discarded to a drawer as soon as they arrive.

This year I was Ďguest of honourí at my cousins celebratory Xmas lunch, with cascades of young children, who were all very well behaved.

However it was blissful to return to my new home. To be greeted by my two little dogs, light up the log fire and switch on memories of Xmas past with the New World Symphony in the background.

Was I embracing the bitter sweetness of nostalgia? Yes wholeheartedly and with intent ...

We look before and after,
we pine for what is not.
our sincerest laughter with some pain is fraught,
our sweetest songs are those
that tell of saddest thought ...

Same with me, my wife died on New Year's Eve 2020, aged 58, exactly a week after coming home from hospital.

It's beyond my comprehension any suggestion that I'll ever be able to enjoy the Xmas / New Year period, so no decorations, no tree & the only Xmas cards that have any meaning are the ones from each of the Dogs Trust dogs that we support & they are displayed.

I still maintain her Dogs Trust subscription in her name, with cards & emails coming addressed to her.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:37:39 PM »
I certainly donít - canít - celebrate Christmas and the new Year. It will forever be associated with losing Veronica
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:39:10 PM »
No words. 💔
Just because youíre offended doesnít mean youíre right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:44:19 PM »
Thank you, Granny
Mike