Author Topic: Corridor Trains  (Read 1419 times)

Teddy

Corridor Trains
« on: Feb 12, 2023, 02:23:26 PM »
Way back when, there used to be corridor trains which had compartments, for 6 or 8 people, and a corridor which ran the lenth of the carriage.

You met all sorts, in there, card players (coat used as table over the knees), lovers, talkers.

Best memory is two RN sailors getting in (at London). Train stopped in Peterborough & one rushed out to buy a sandwich on the platform.
The train moved off, whilst he was still gone, so his mate ran up the corridor, with his kit bag, and threw it out onto the platform.
Shortly after, the Sailor wandered back in, down the corridor, from the other direction!
Ah! Happy Days!
I Never Bear A Grudge, Once I've Got Even!

Jacqueline

Re: Corridor Trains
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:47:29 PM »

Our local Heritage Gwili Railway has those carriages, love going for a ride in them.

I used to travel on trains with no corridors only individual compartments, you never knew who would get in with you, wouldn't do it now.

morty

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2023, 06:06:51 PM »
Ah, that brings back memories ....well, one  :)

Back in the 1970's, going to see Man Utd playing at home and they put on the old trains for the fans ... it was great actually, I felt like I was in one of those old comedy sketches from Morecambe & Wise.
Some of the male fans were brutish though and didn't mind trampling a young laydee.

Dongles

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:44:06 AM »
I loved those old trains, the seats were so comfortable compared to now.
Gagged for a quiet life. Goodbye to free speech.

Dongles

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:47:37 AM »
Slightly off topic but still on the subject of trains. Who remembers when the London underground had different colour trains? I think it was red for Metropolitan line and green for district line or something like that.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2023, 11:50:17 AM »
Much prefer those old world carriages to today's open ones. Steam will always be train in my mind.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2023, 12:43:27 PM »
haven't travelled by train since my sister's funeral - hate them
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2023, 12:57:49 PM »
It must be around 20 years since I was last on a train. I simply refuse to pay the prices they want. AND, you don't always get a seat, despite having booked one.
Nope, my train days are well and truly over. Unless it's a special outing by steam engine and old carriges, like The Jacobite and the West Highland Run.

https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/steam-train-trip

Muddy

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2023, 04:32:15 PM »
As children we used to love a day out to Brighton on the train .
The journey was so exciting we used to run up and down the corridors ( mum and dad didnít seem worried we would fall out of the doors ) and we would stand over the joint in the carriages watching the ground whizz by . It was wonderful .
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

em

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2023, 04:53:29 PM »
As children we used to love a day out to Brighton on the train .
The journey was so exciting we used to run up and down the corridors ( mum and dad didnít seem worried we would fall out of the doors ) and we would stand over the joint in the carriages watching the ground whizz by . It was wonderful .
Muddy,we were fortunate in not having "helicopter" parents.Do you remember leaning forward with your head out of the window? whenever I see a dog in a car with his head out,I truly envy him!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2023, 03:25:57 AM »
a quote in a book I read once 'only bikers understand why dogs stick their heads out of car windows'!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sidewinder1944

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2023, 07:20:04 PM »
I cannot honestly remember the last time I travelled on a train, far too expensive for me. But I can remember the corridor trains, as boy, the pictures on the walls fascinated me, many of them I did not have a clue where the places were. I remember the massive real leather straps that let the windows up and down and the carriages had a particular smell about them, only found in trains.

Dongles

« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2023, 10:18:06 PM »
It must be around 20 years since I was last on a train. I simply refuse to pay the prices they want. AND, you don't always get a seat, despite having booked one.
Nope, my train days are well and truly over. Unless it's a special outing by steam engine and old carriges, like The Jacobite and the West Highland Run.

https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/steam-train-trip

I have been on that. A great trip, slightly spoilt by another passenger that just wouldn't shut up.

Sciatico

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2023, 10:51:51 AM »
No trains here, used them in GB until they got more expensive than buses.
But here we have taken bus rides just as an excursion.
Fun trip was to see the other island. On the way back to the ferry town  all the ladies from the Tuna canning factory got on and further down we stopped at a creche to pick up one woman's kid....
He was about 5-6 years old, glasses, and was talking to the driver non-stop. It was hilarious. At one point he asked him to stop the bus so his mum could take him outside for a wee. Then he suggested they have a party at his house and Barbecue some prawns and the driver and some of the ladies could stay the night but would have to share the spare room. It was a trip I will never forget. Fantastic scenery too. 

Raven

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2023, 12:38:31 PM »
I have sat on the bank, camera in hand watching the Jacobite pulling her carriges over that viaduct.  ;D Wonderful sight.