Author Topic: Rugby  (Read 2655 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Rugby
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2023, 03:57:44 PM »
the thinking behind amending the law requited an even contest was that the side not getting the put-in transgressed, so why should they be given an even chance? Don't agree with it myself, but that was the reasoning.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2023, 08:28:21 PM »
Straight to his own hooker.

Or either prop!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2023, 04:40:25 AM »
it gets a bit much if fed to the number 8!😁😁😁

alun147

« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2023, 04:19:44 PM »
Wales, 13 changes, v Portugal. Puts me on edge a bit, always think of a potential banana skin. Just hoping that everything go's according to plan. Come on Cymru.

alun147

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2023, 11:24:38 PM »
We pulled it off gaining a late bonus 4th try, so all ends well. But well played Portugal for a really great performance. Diolch.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2023, 04:58:32 AM »
yes, they really gave it their all

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2023, 09:21:30 AM »
watched the Ireland-Tonga match - great try by Hansen, beating five defenders. Reminded me of the Scott Gibbs try back in 1999 (Good Lord! 24 years ago) when he scored, again beating five defenders, to beat England in the last minute by one or two points. I must have replayed that try a dozen or more times back in the day, and still can't see how he did it!

alun147

« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2023, 10:05:28 AM »
Unfortunately missed it due to the S. Wales football derby, Cardiff v Swansea being shown. Today the one I am really looking forward too is the Australia v Fiji game but will be interesting to see how well your boys perform tonight against Japan. Another good day of sport.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »
Absolutely. It does focus one's mind on the structure of Rugby, though. Amongst their contemporaries, Rumania are a pretty decent side, but their two RWC matches have been them smashed out of sight - 82-8 from Ireland, and now 76-0 against the Boks. As someone commented after the Irish match, teams like Rumania just don't get enough games against better opposition - and I think that is so true, I think everybody acknowledges how how much Argentina have improved with regular games against Australia, NZ, and RSA, and Italy are slowly improving in the 6N

Bucephalus

« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2023, 04:19:57 PM »
Absolutely. It does focus one's mind on the structure of Rugby, though. Amongst their contemporaries, Rumania are a pretty decent side, but their two RWC matches have been them smashed out of sight - 82-8 from Ireland, and now 76-0 against the Boks. As someone commented after the Irish match, teams like Rumania just don't get enough games against better opposition - and I think that is so true, I think everybody acknowledges how how much Argentina have improved with regular games against Australia, NZ, and RSA, and Italy are slowly improving in the 6N
I understand the need for the lower tier nation to have exposure, but in reality these games only improve the stats of the tier one teams.It does nothing for the competition.
E unum pluribus

Bucephalus

« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2023, 06:51:07 PM »
Win for Fiji, surprise, not really Australia and England are about on par with one another so Fiji beating both shouldn't be a surprise.
E unum pluribus

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2023, 05:00:49 AM »
I understand the need for the lower tier nation to have exposure, but in reality these games only improve the stats of the tier one teams.It does nothing for the competition.
True - and too many one-sided matches aren't much of a spectacle.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2023, 07:10:07 AM »
Well, a win is a win, but for much of the match Japan looked the more dangerous side. In fact, for the first 60 minutes or so, I reckon England played better last week with 14 men than they did this time with with 15! England made so many mistakes I just lost count of them. Can't help feeling that in the last quarter Japan were just the more tired side and it was superior fitness rather than anything else, which saw England home.

alun147

« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2023, 08:23:23 AM »
Very good performance by Japan, and I agree they were the better side for long  periods. However, I felt England did seem to come alive in the second half and take the game more to Japan. Enjoyed the game and looking forward to more to come.

Bucephalus

« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2023, 09:41:23 AM »
Very good performance by Japan, and I agree they were the better side for long  periods. However, I felt England did seem to come alive in the second half and take the game more to Japan. Enjoyed the game and looking forward to more to come.
Its the endless kicking , why kick possession away, aren't they confident at the tackle the back up players aren't good enough to clear the opposition out.
E unum pluribus