Author Topic: Floods in andalucia  (Read 6317 times)

Dottie1943

Floods in andalucia
« on: Sep 29, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
TheSherriff, Puff and many more of our members in Andalucia  I do hope that you  are safe after the news I have just heard and the films I have seen of the flooding in that area.  Iam away in Malta at the moment but still checking the board from time to time.  Stay safe my friends.
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

Merrytel

Re: Floods in andalucia
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2012, 06:17:54 AM »
Ditto from me folks !
Tel .  

Life is just a very short interlude , between two eternities !

Oldtimer

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
What is the Worlds weather coming to?
Flash flooding is difficult to predict and safety measure cannot be easily and quickly putin place.
A lady on the news who said she came from a hard hit small town in a poor area of Spain said that people had no insurance and it was a personal disaster for them  they had lost everything.
These storms and flooding that often come without prior warning are getting far more frequent.
Hope everyone in Spain is safe and well.
If you cannot do someone a good turn never do them a bad one.

Oldtimer

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2012, 08:49:07 AM »
What is the Worlds weather coming to there seems to be no let up to it's constant and untimely changes.
Flash floods are difficult to predict and happen so quickly it is hard to take immediate precautions.
A
Hope every one in Spain is safe they have enough problems with the economy.

Oldtimer

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Apoligies for the Duplication I thought I had lost one set and it appeared much later?
My Laptop apears to be getting worn with use?
Sounds familiar?

Merrytel

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:03:09 AM »
I know how your laptop feels Oldtimer  :'(
Tel .  

Thesheriff

« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:06:28 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for your concern - We personally have not suffered - unfortunately so far 10 people have been killed - some by causes they had not control over - but some by trying stupidly to cross flooded Ramblas and their cars being swept away and they were drowned ?

We had a bit of flooding in our awning - We did have a problem on Friday the day of the storm - we had no option but to go to Albox our old home town - 25 minutes drive away - going - but due to collapsed bridges and road surfaces - out of the only 6 routes to the motorway to get back home - there was not one passable for over 5 hours - eventually one which only had a landslide was re-opened but that route involved a 30 miles detour from the normal routes -  It took us over 7 hours to get back home.

One Guardia report from Bougnavillas area - said the officer was checking the state of the Rambla Bridge - and was looking down onto the dry river bed - when he looked upstream - there was a 2 metre high wall of water traveling towards him  - luckily he was the only person at the time on the bridge - which 5 minutes later did not exist ?

I have attached some photos of what are normally dry river beds - I tried attaching these to a previous post but they were to large - so I may need to do two postings.

No 1. Is of a Rambla over 200 metres wide normally dry.
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

Thesheriff

« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »
2nd posting from the sheriff.

This is the main Motorway  Almeria to Alicante - estimated to be closed for approx 2 months - as both carriageway have now collapsed.
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

Merrytel

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:40:14 AM »
Good grief , that looks awful.....glad you're OK
Tel .  

firenze

« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
I hope all remains well for you, the floods in Spain must be a very rare event..take care!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Thesheriff Pleased to hear are safe I do hope the rest of our family are ok.

Dottie1943

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
Fred thanks for the update and pictures, unbelievable! Spoke to a friend via email yesterday she has a MO house right on the edge of the arroyo (river bed)  and she had her fingers crossed that her home would remain safe, hers as thank goodness. :)

Jane Marple

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
I saw all this on the news, and automatically emailed my friend who moved to Spain two years ago.  She is safe as she is above the floods, but still in that area.  Glad everyone is safe and well.  Must be an extremely frightening thing when it happens to you.  I remember a few years ago now that the little harbour of Boscastle was flooded and much damage done one August day.  Cars were dragged along by the floods and into the sea, and many dogs who were in the cars died too, as the village had many tourists there that day.  Awful tradgedy.  Keep safe everyone in Spain.
"Don't you know?" said Miss Marple.
"No, I don't," said Craddock.  "Do you?"
"Oh, yes, I think so," said Miss Marple.  And she twinkled at him.

Dottie1943

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
Jane like yourself I remember Boscastle as some of my family told me he night before they were going there the following day, thank god they changed their minds just before leaving their holiday home!

PuffTheMagicDragon

« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
Hi everyone, yes we’re safe and well too, just been too busy to get on the computer.
Can’t really add to what has been said or what has been on the news, but our hearts go out to the families of those that have lost loved ones, and people that are suffering due to the lost of their homes and belongings.
Puff
OnOn......