Author Topic: Floods in andalucia  (Read 6318 times)

Thesheriff

Re: Floods in andalucia
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2012, 06:10:46 AM »
Yesterday   I had to travel up to the area where the bridge had collapsed - and it is not as bad as first reported - for the benefit of anyone who may be flying out here in the next few weeks.

Contrary to the early reports - the other side of the Carriageway had not collapsed - it was closed initially while the Bridge Supports on that side were inspected - and having found these OK - a contra-flow was opened.

The Autovia is open all the way through according to the locals - but with many contra-flows - where damage has been done.

The force of the water has twisted the Steel Armco Barriers into some peculiar shapes - and one Factory at the side of the Autovia which makes Plastic Water Tubing - must have had it run through their yard - because Rolls of this tubing - which normally need a fork trick to lift - have been washed up to 300 mts down the Autovia - and are now stacked up in the Central Reservation & in the side gutter.

At the Coast - Vera - up to 30 cars which where in a Beach side Car Park - were picked up by the water - carried over a pavement - across a Garden - across a wide promenade - over a three foot wall separating the promenade from the Beach and eventually deposited some 200 mts on the sand down from the promenade ???
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

firenze

« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »
Pleased to hear Sheriff that all is under control now around you, also that there is not too much damage. I can report that in York City all was it's usual lovely self yesterday too. I expect the flood areas are not as they were more is the pity.

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Thesheriff

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
There has been a lot of damage all over this part of Spain - but not in our little area - what caused the problems was - whereas the UK had int last big storm 4 " of rain in 24 hours - we got 10 " of rain in 3 hours  and that's a lot of rain.

Attached is a photo of a side road in Garrucha - a seaside village near to us - all the cars that were nomally parked on this road overnight - ended up in the sea until the tide went out !!!
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

Merrytel

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
well pleased to hear you're OK Fred , hope the other members in Spain are as well  ?
Tel .  

Life is just a very short interlude , between two eternities !

Hugh

« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
Spain certainly been going through the mill this year with fires floods and now money problem. Hope all our friends are Ok.

Dottie1943

« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2012, 05:11:02 PM »
Fred that top picture is that where the English butchers is?
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!