Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 2541 times)

silver1945

Welcome
« on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »
Welcome to the Genealogy group  :)

I thought that some of you might like to share you stories of tracing ancestors, have you found any rogues/interesting people/famous ones etc.

I know we all have skeletons in the closet, my family seems to be full of them.

Look forward to reading your stories
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Jane Marple

Re: Welcome
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
Likewise, Silver.  My hubby traced my grandmother's side of the family who we didn't know and that was enlightening.  Will post about that when I have a little more time. :)
"Don't you know?" said Miss Marple.
"No, I don't," said Craddock.  "Do you?"
"Oh, yes, I think so," said Miss Marple.  And she twinkled at him.

silver1945

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
Look forward to hearing about it.   I love hearing about people and their families/ancestors (such a nosey devil  ::) ).

Dottie1943

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »
I have got loads to write, will get the bits together and start typing soon Silver
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

silver1945

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »
 ;D  Looks like I am going to be happy reading other people's stories.

firenze

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:34:50 PM »
I foundthe East Yorkshire Family History Society a great help perhaps you too have similar. These Societies usually hold records and make them available at meetings..help forthcoming too and fascinating speakers with regular trips to the Public Records in London if you wish to join in.

I followed my paternal family to great great Grandfather but as he was born in Norway and no- one could decipher his place of birth I came to a full stop. Expensive business! but so interesting.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Harley Quin

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
As well as a 'revised repeat' of Heir Hunters, on BBC2 this evening, a new series of Find My Past starts on Yesterday at 9pm. Both interesting for us lovers of family history.
Harley Quin is a mystery. He appears and disappears unexpectedly and by strange tricks of light and reflections.

silver1945

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
Firenze - what a shame that you had to come to an end at that point.  Yes, family history societies are another source of information, had forgotten about those.  Thanks for that.

Harley - I love Heir Hunters.  I cannot get the Yesterday Channel but have friends who have told me about that series.  Here, in Wales, we get a series called 'Coming Home' and it is about celebrities who are tracing their Welsh roots.

Harley Quin

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
I cannot get the Yesterday Channel
That's unusual as Yesterday is on Freeview, so accesible to most. I imagine you might be on Freesat, which for some reason does not relay Yesterday or Dave on their package.
Harley Quin is a mystery. He appears and disappears unexpectedly and by strange tricks of light and reflections.

silver1945

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
LOL - but you are talking about living in a sensible area.  Here in rural Wales Freeview only covers (apart from the older channels) BBC3, BBC4, a couple of adult channels and childrens channels.  When I lived in Birmingham I had a much wider choice of channels.
You are right, I have got Sky Freesat, hence me not being able to get the Yesterday channel. :(

WalkingRon

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »
I foundthe East Yorkshire Family History Society a great help perhaps you too have similar. These Societies usually hold records and make them available at meetings..help forthcoming too and fascinating speakers with regular trips to the Public Records in London if you wish to join in.

I followed my paternal family to great great Grandfather but as he was born in Norway and no- one could decipher his place of birth I came to a full stop. Expensive business! but so interesting.

I know someone who spends all his time tracing ancestors of people's families. I'll try and find out the website if you're interested; all he does is talk about genealogy. :)

jaq_boc

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »
the Pension forum, for me, just got a whole lot better, besides discussing OAP probs i can now chat with others about my hobby !

zoony

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »
Erm..jaq_bloc...I know there are some folk on the current site who are or were into family histories but I don't know if you noticed the dates of the previous messages?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

jaq_boc

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 10:44:33 PM »
I did notice Zoony, hopefully the thread will be revived

zoony

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:13 PM »
I know there are a couple of folk currently here who have researched..Perhaps you could put a new thread on General Discussions about it? Not that it matters cos all end up on the board anyway..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.