Author Topic: Rollason family  (Read 1659 times)

silver1945

Rollason family
« on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
This was my first venture into genealogy, I was studying for a Geography GCSE as a mature student and one of the coursework questions asked you to find a derelict building in your area, think of another use for it and also find out some of the history of the people who lived there.

Luckily there was an old Victorian building round the corner from where I lived and I soon found out that it was owned back in the 19th century by Abel Rollason and his family.  The house was originally called Shepherd's Green house and stood in its own grounds back from the road.  Abel owned a steel rolling mill in Erdington, Birmingham.  Soon I was hooked on finding out more about the family and spent many hours in the archives section of Birmingham Central Library.

Eventually I traced part of the family in Australia and also one of the descendants came to see me, he lives on the outskirts of Birmingham.  When I decided to leave the area I handed over all of my findings to him, however I wish now that I had kept it all and tried to find out more.

Sadly the house has now been demolished.
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Dottie1943

Re: Rollason family
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
Silver, did you also like me, find that the further you went back the more the names were repeated i.e. on mine John Bakers eldest son was called John Baker etc etc I got confused at one time with this and had to keep a check on the DOB and DOD (date of birth and date of death) as there were so many of them :o
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

Harley Quin

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
For centuries, I was the first male not to have John as a middle name. Our two sons haven't got the name either, but our 3 yr old grandson has! Tradition has been restored!
Harley Quin is a mystery. He appears and disappears unexpectedly and by strange tricks of light and reflections.

silver1945

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »
Dottie - I have found that with my father's side.  He, my grandfather, g-grandfather and g-g-grandfather were all named William.

Harley - it's strange isn't it, as though there are not enough names to choose from.
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.