Author Topic: Which is the "best" site ??  (Read 2112 times)

peterpensioner

Which is the "best" site ??
« on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »
Got a £10 token to use on findmypast.co.uk and I have now got hooked on tracing my ancestors. As a “newby” to all this I was surprised at the enormous number of internet sites there are. So my question to the “experts” out there - which is the best and which is the cheapest site???

Dottie1943

Re: Which is the "best" site ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »
I am  not sure about the cheapest but Ancestors direct is one site I use and the other one is Find My Past.co.uk, I do on the odd occasion pop into others for help but these are my main two.
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

silver1945

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:27:39 PM »
I have always liked Find my Past and found most of my information on there, however some people dislike it and swear that Ancestry is the best.  I think it is all a matter of preference.  FreeBMD can be quite good as well as you can join mailing lists for a particular area.

Hope this is a bit of help.

Oh, and a lot of libraries (and archive centres, if you have one near you) let you use Ancestry and Find my Past free of charge.
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Jane Marple

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
Fraid I wouldn't know which was the best, but I think it was Ancestors that hubby used. :-\
"Don't you know?" said Miss Marple.
"No, I don't," said Craddock.  "Do you?"
"Oh, yes, I think so," said Miss Marple.  And she twinkled at him.

Dottie1943

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
Silver I never knew this, that's a great tip about the libraries
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

silver1945

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
Hopefully they are the same in England, thought afterwards that it might be different here in Wales.
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Grisefox

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2016, 04:12:45 PM »
Hi

I've been researching my familiy's  genealogy for the last 5 years or so. I guess it depends on where your researches take you - on my father's side we're Northern Irish and, before 1800 Scots, on my Mother's side English.

On free sites, a great start if you know the city/town/village you're interested in is to do a Google search combined with your family name and "genealogy" or "family tree" - this worked for me in finding family members - but I may just have been lucky.

The Mormon Church have digitised loads of UK Birth, Marriage and death (BMD) records and these are freely searchable at their website ([size=100%]http://familysearch.org[/size] ) Most of the records are available to view online, however some like digitised books are only viewable at a family centre in microfilm (these are scattered throughout the UK and are usually located at Mormon churches - you can book to see items in advance online, or just ring up your nearest centre and get an estimate on when you can visit.

On priced sites, one of the cheapest is Genesreunited ([size=100%]http://genesreunited.co.uk[/size] ), starting at around £4.95 per month. You can upload your family tree if you use local family tree software on your computer, or create it from scratch actually on the website. The tree is then indexed by the website and it will then flag up matches from other member's family trees, allowing you to contact the owner of the other tree to confirm a match - the owner can then allow you access to their tree and vice versa.

I've tried FindMyPast and that was OK but more expensive, plus with my Irish ancestors I found I had to pay extra to access those records - I think it was at a time when they bought another company to supplement their Irish records and hadn't fully synchronised them yet.

I've also tried Ancestry and they are very good but also expensive, especially if you try their "World" option - if you think you have relatives in the ex-Colonies it's often best to use the Google search option first and see what that brings you.

HTH
Jim

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »
I've found English genealogy cheaper and easier to access than my Scots or Irish ancestors.  Scotland's people holds lots of info, but the costs can add up.  I've almost given up on my great grandparents who married in Dublin in 1850.  Lots of the civil records were destroyed, and although there seems to be plenty of church records relating to Catholics, the Protestant churches in the republic seem lacking in that respect.  There's no trace of my grandmothers birth or that of most of her siblings. 

I have used Ancestry - it's free in our local libraries, and Genes reunited.

Grisefox

« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »
Hi GrannyMac

I have some experience is searching Irish sites, as my ancestors were Irish on my father's side. If you think it would be helpful I'm happy to have a look on your behalf - if so just drop me an email (see my Profile) with marriage details.
If not have you tried the http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ website, which covers Dublin marriages for those Catholic and Protestant records digitised thus far?

Regards
Jim