Author Topic: income tax  (Read 10427 times)

Pedro

income tax
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »
I live in France but recently had my pensions etc paid into NatWest instead of Credit Mutuel because of the exchange rate.  Now the French want 1000€ income tax from me.  My income is approx £410 per week.  Any advice please.  Pedro

xetog

Re: income tax
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:51:23 PM »
It depends whether your pensions are taxed at source.  Most private pensions are, but your state pension is not and in France, I don't think there is anything like our tax free system.  However, anything that is taxed in the UK is covered by a mutual tax agreement between the countries, so that you cannot be taxed twice.  So if for some reason you have been flying under the radar with your state pension then you will owe back tax.  If you are resident in France, then all your income should be tax free in the UK and declared as taxable income in France.  This happens in Spain with anyone who is considered a resident.

M 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
Firstly I'd ask "the French" on what they are basing this tax on but if you are earning the £410/w working in France then they probably have every right to claim it.
I work part time here and I have a tax allowance which my pension almost covers therefore I get taxed on most of what I earn in my part time job and there is, as xetog says, a mutual agreement between EU countries.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Pedro

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
Thanks fellas for your help. One of my pensions is from my NHS superannuation pension that I paid quite heavily for. Another I get from my late wifes state pension because she always paid the full stamp. Pedro

Citizen68

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
Welcome, Pedro, nice to hear from you.

Pedro

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:03:21 PM »
I kid myself the brain is still OK at 83 but the body hasn`t caught up.  Your help is much appreciated though.  Got a historic 300 year old French farmhouse we restored.  Pedro

Citizen68

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
Sounds lovely, how about a pic (sadly, I do mean the house, not the body that hasn't caught up!).

Pedro

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »
Tried without success I`m afraid.  You can trust me with your E mail addres if you wish. Pedro.

juliette

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
ohh Pedro, can I have a pic of your restored farmhouse?. Restoring houses is my hobby and my family have a farm in Poulto, near Nantes ,Charente Maritine that they are STILL restoring !
Is your farmhouse with land ? may one ask where it is ?
My next project is on Dartmoor, Devon, tho my first love is Cornwall...the Tamar Valley where I have done several . My email is in my profile, if you get time to show me a pic !

Pedro

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
I live near a small village near Gorron.  NW France. Colombiers du Plessis. Pedro.

Gael

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
As an American living in the UK I have to file US Federal Income Tax returns annually and report any bank accounts over a certain amount to the US Treasury.

I also file a return in the UK mainly for a Personal Injury Trust I have here. The UK government takes taxes out of the interest it generates directly from the account.

So far I've only had to pay a small amount of US taxes and this year, none. But I do have to pay accountants to do the returns. >:(  The US one in particular is so complicated there is no way I could do it myself as well as the fact that accountants will take full advantage of any exemptions for their clients.

Pedro

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
Hi,  Think I must pay up & look big.  Find accountants expensive everywhere.  Several other benefits here including no road tax for vehicles, almost nil crime in my area,  my council tax is £150 a year especially as I have possibly 6 bedrooms, 3 showers & 3 kitchens & toilets.
Pedro

Phil

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:16:09 PM »
As an American living in the UK I have to file US Federal Income Tax returns annually and report any bank accounts over a certain amount to the US Treasury.

I also file a return in the UK mainly for a Personal Injury Trust I have here. The UK government takes taxes out of the interest it generates directly from the account

So far I've only had to pay a small amount of US taxes and this year, none. But I do have to pay accountants to do the returns. >:(  The US one in particular is so complicated there is no way I could do it myself as well as the fact that accountants will take full advantage of any exemptions for their clients.

I do all my own accounts & tax returns.

It's just a myth that accountants can save you money, the tax rules are the tax rules, simple as that.

There are no special tax rules for accountants.

For your UK taxes I recommend TaxCalc.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Pedro

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
Thanks for the info.  My connection at my French bank is very helpful & beautiful.  Will talk to here ASAP.   Pedro.

Phil

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »
Income tax isn't my favourite subject since I'll be paying 250 pounds on what I've earned this week.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin