Author Topic: Golf  (Read 13850 times)

Hugh

Golf
« on: May 15, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
This is a good sport for all age groups. Took up the sport 3 years ago and now play several time a week. I am doing quite well on the par 3 course where tees range from 100 to 250 metres. The back nine on the main course is really tough and not many of my age group play it. PS I am 75 this year. Fresh air, good company and a good way to exercise I love it.

Rita Postlethwaite

Re: Golf
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Of course the good weather is a bonus Hugh.  ;D
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Hugh

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
But we have a nice large brolly for when it rains. But snows a bit of a problem ;D ;D ;D

Lisa

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:24:35 PM »
All  that walking about is good excercise or do you use a trolley Hugh.
Always put your brain in gear before opening your mouth.

Hugh

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
Hi Lisa I use a trolley but not a buggy which you may be thinking of. The exercise playing golf is very good because it covers all your body, not only your legs. Your hips play a very big part when hitting the ball. The par 3 course which I use takes over 2 hours to get round and main course 4 hours.

Buggy a great vehicle for disabled people who are unable to walk far.

Hugh

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
Monday had a enjoyable game of golf a four some with an age range of 60 years. Young Olivia only been playing a matter of weeks, yet I and my playing partner Frank, believe he could become a golf star of the future. He as almost a perfect golf swing and can hit the ball over 400 yards. My average is 150 to 200 yards at the moment but would like to get an average of 200 yards. Bought a gadget to be able to measure each golf drive.
I have noticed I am getting much fitter, a steep hill between 9 and 10 I use to have to stop for rest a couple of times and then recover on a bench at the top. No stopping now and we now take a break at the end of the tenth to ensure we don't hold any following players up. By the time I reach the 15th my game use to fall away but not any more.

firenze

« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
Sounds good lung workout Hugh, the sun air and walk will make you healthy and wise no guarantee about the wealth. 
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Hugh

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2014, 10:32:11 PM »
Its a very good lung work out that's for sure Firenze and being a midweek member and the amount of times i play it works out at around £6 around plus a pint at the 19th. With the enjoyable company and the exercise I just wish I had been able to have started years ago. The back nine at Ramsdale golf club where I play as a very good view over Nottingham shire.

Lisa

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »
It is probably better for you to play in the week Hugh . We have a golfcourse near us and at weekends it is always crowded.
Certainly a good way of keeping fit.
Always put your brain in gear before opening your mouth.

Hugh

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
Yes Lisa I agree golf courses are very crowed at weekends and quite dangerous. Get hit by that little white ball which flies like a missile can do a lot of damage if hit in the eye or mouth. Far to many beginners who without any training try to hit the ball as far as they can and have no control of its direction. I'll stick to midweek golf less crowded and cheaper membership. Even so accidents can and do happen during the week so I have golf insurance to give me peace of mind.

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »
Ooooo....what lovely pictures Hugh especially number 2 - our professionals will spit feathers ;D

Its great to hear your enthusiasm I wish I had taken up golf, I gave up when the ball always took off left.  My old next door neighbour was still playing in his late 80s on a rough course like Beverley Westwoods.  He is still a healthy  93 years so there you are Hugh a long way to go yet.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
What lovely photographs, Hugh, I would certainly like to walk those courses with you but would sadly keep away from the clubs and golf balls as I have no sense of direction whatever!  ::) :-*

Hugh

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »
The second picture is the dreaded 13th for the unfit Rita. The tee off is over the hill and needs to be hit at least 150 yards to a top Plato but more often than not it rolls all the way down the hill. The two trees on the right which you have to come through but get the drive wrong and it rolls all the way down a steep hill once again. Its a very unforgiving tee but i love it.
Many of my age group miss out 12 and 13 and jump to the 14th the first pic I posted must take more pictures there is a lake which cannot be seen.

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
No wonder you are super fit, Hugh.  :D :-*

Hugh

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »
Wouldn't say I am super fit Rita after all its no more than a walk in the country, and now walking far less because my balls going in the right direction, and not going left right left right around the golf course.