Author Topic: British retirees lured to Spain  (Read 10478 times)

Gael

British retirees lured to Spain
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:12:48 AM »
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/retirees-snapping-cut-price-spanish-074945956.html

Cheaper housing and a strong pound are luring some British buyers back to Spain

xetog

Re: British retirees lured to Spain
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:49:37 AM »
Yes, nice for some Gael, but not so nice for those of us who bought in the good years and now we are old just want to get our money out of  property and back to the UK.  We didn't buy ours as an investment, so were not looking to make money like many, but if we sell we are facing a 70% loss. OK we can offset against this all the holidays we have had here although the costs of travel and upkeep would have bought us a nice holiday every year.  There are 2 bed apartments around here (not quite as nice and roomy as ours)  that were purchased at 100K Euros selling for 30K.  Now is certainly the time to buy if you are fairly young and can wait for prices to go back up.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Gael

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
Yes, nice for some Gael, but not so nice for those of us who bought in the good years and now we are old just want to get our money out of  property and back to the UK.  We didn't buy ours as an investment, so were not looking to make money like many, but if we sell we are facing a 70% loss. OK we can offset against this all the holidays we have had here although the costs of travel and upkeep would have bought us a nice holiday every year.  There are 2 bed apartments around here (not quite as nice and roomy as ours)  that were purchased at 100K Euros selling for 30K.  Now is certainly the time to buy if you are fairly young and can wait for prices to go back up.

M. 8)

It's a buyers market alright, and in the UK as well. My stepson is selling in N Ireland and he'll take a beating.

firenze

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »
Not just Spain and N.Ireland but North East housing  too has lost value. The loss is around 25% in my area,  I believe that the larger ones are no longer attractive because of the huge cost of overheads. Enormous  gardens require effort and the cost to employ gardeners who can charge upwards of £15 per hour - not to mention the cost of domestic cleaning. There may be a market for the unemployed to odd job gardens perhaps - they will not of course because of the earnings rule cutting Benefits. 
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »
property was once the soundest investment one could make. but given the insatiable push to home ownership, rather than a greater mix of rental and ownership, supply is outstripping demand, so buyers now hold the ace  bargaining card, just the same as any other commodity, with the exception of utilities and other essential services, which appear to be run by cartels. 

Gael

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
property was once the soundest investment one could make. but given the insatiable push to home ownership, rather than a greater mix of rental and ownership, supply is outstripping demand, so buyers now hold the ace  bargaining card, just the same as any other commodity, with the exception of utilities and other essential services, which appear to be run by cartels.

Let's face it, there is a global financial downturn, so sure other countries are experiencing this.

You've analyzed the situation correctly, sarahbilly.

xetog

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
Perhaps I gave the impression that most ex pats don't like Spain.  Actually many/most absolutely love it.  I am a bit odd in that a lot of things I see as drawbacks in Spain many see as part of the charm of the place.  The weather here in the south is pretty good most of the year, but the lifestyle is simplt to lazy for me.  I don't want to put anyone off what is a very laid back lifestyle if that's what they like.

M. 8)

Gael

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 04:06:50 PM »
Perhaps I gave the impression that most ex pats don't like Spain.  Actually many/most absolutely love it.  I am a bit odd in that a lot of things I see as drawbacks in Spain many see as part of the charm of the place.  The weather here in the south is pretty good most of the year, but the lifestyle is simplt to lazy for me.  I don't want to put anyone off what is a very laid back lifestyle if that's what they like.

M. 8)

Each to his own. I know here in N Ireland they are mad for the sun and take holidays to Spain a lot. In spite of having Spanish ancestry, I have zero interest in the culture, food, land, etc. I didn't even like California where there is a marked Spanish influence.

So whatever floats your boat.

firenze

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
I am not unkind to Spain I have been twice both associated with bad things for me.  One, holiday our villa was burgled - two, holiday my husband was taken ill at the end of an idyllic two weeks villa holiday.  I rather liked it otherwise but would have hated to live there....not for me!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

xetog

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
firenze.  I have to say that after living in Spain for 4 months in most of the last 8 years, I have had no really bad experience.  We were burgled once, early on (and the other day some cretin bumped into my car and drove off), but when I am here I just feel like a square peg in a round hole.  Yes, I have a whole list of things I don't like, but they are fairly unique to me and I know many people who think the way of life here is wonderful and thrive.  It's just me, I am told I think too much!

M. 8)

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
Any country that cheers while an animal is tortured to death in the name of sport will never get my vote!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

ChrisG46

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 07:27:52 PM »
I managed 3 months in Spain in 2001, and have been back for a few odd weeks since - and while I like it a lot, wouldn't fancy living there permanently.

I nearly got pick-pocketed once in Barcelona, but apart from that had a fine time. I particularly enjoyed the six or seven weeks I lived in a residencia in the Spanish core of Benidorm, living on around £20 a day! But actually living there full-time? No thanks . .
Best wishes,
Chris

www.chrisgosling.co.uk

avalonmpk2

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
Never been to Spain, have no intention of going there, I don't even go out of my village unless it is necessary. Out side the world is full of vice, filth, the stench of fast food, fat over weight workshy spongers, alcoholics drug addicts, potheads(=libdems), multiculturalism, beggars, religious fanatics etc., etc. I much prefer my little piece of paradise. The price of property in the village has just continued to rise irrespective of he state of the economy, why? because people who live here do not want to sell, it is only when we pass on that the properties come on the market - we get prospective purchasers and developers knocking on our doors offering ridiculous sums for what are after all just modest properties with large gardens located in the nearest place that there is to Utopia - I count my blessings every morning I am fortunate enough to wake! :)
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

colin

« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
 We were put off moving to Spain because of dog restrictions.

They are not allowed on Buses/Trains/Taxi's so would need car to get to vets & travel around.

Plus there were no beaches they were legally allowed on.

xetog

« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2014, 09:46:38 AM »
We don't keep animals because we travel back and forth so often, but I have never heard that dog's are not allowed on public transport, although I have never travelled on public transport therefore how would I know?  I will try to ask a dog owner and get back to you.  As far as beaches are concerned, there are a few that don't allow dogs any time, but many are OK out of the tourist season, for obvious reasons, I imagine the same applies i the UK.  Animal owners in Spain are very different to those in the UK.  Although Spain has similar laws to us, very few people bother to follow them.  One of our hates is the fouling of footpaths which seems to be accepted by the Spanish.  You certainly have to keep your eyes on the pavement over here, although resorts are usually kept very clean.  Dogs (or cats) are rarely spayed, so I would not be surprised if what you say about public transport is true.

M. 8)