Author Topic: Society of Genealogists  (Read 2679 times)

OldMeadonian

Society of Genealogists
« on: Aug 15, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
Any other members here?

I intend to book in to Rosebery Hall student accommodation next summer and spend some time at the SoG library in Charterhouse Buildings to do a bit of research.

Citizen68

Re: Society of Genealogists
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2015, 01:02:49 AM »
Old Meadonian, always interested in the subject and know they have a lot to offer, but not a joined-up member.

OldMeadonian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »
always interested in the subject
I was very lucky. Asked my mother if she knew anybody doing research into the family and was put in touch with a chap who'd done 18 years. It turned out we were distant cousins and he let me photocopy everything he had done. I got my direct male line back to 8 July 1688. If I can prove which of the four candidates married `Mary, I can go back another generation and possibly more as the parish records as far as the mid 16th century.

Citizen68

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2015, 08:46:27 AM »
Old Meadonian, you've been lucky to get so much help and I wish you well with further research. I also received a big helping hand from a distant relative, who virtually handed me a complex family tree. Regrettably he died suddenly, which means I would have to make any other running myself. As the parish records are a long way away from me, I can't see I will be doing it any time soon.

OldMeadonian

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2015, 10:53:05 AM »
you've been lucky to get so much help
Absolutely. One of my goals now is to put all Cyrils' and my research in to a database and put it on line so that others researching my surname can have access to it. A lot of it comes from parish records. Nowadays I am finding more stuff already on the interweb and I can obtain certificates without having to go to Kew.

Citizen68

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
OldMeadonian, how are you getting the certs.? By the way, there used to be an organisation called the Society of One Name Families. If you have an unusual name you can register with them, if they don't already have someone with your name, and they give you certain faciilities, I think. You have to agree to help anyone else enquiring with that surname, as one of the conditions. I don't know all that's involved, or even if they are still in existence? I had the help of an experienced historian who was a mine of information. Great!

OldMeadonian

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »
how are you getting the certs.? By the way, there used to be an organisation called the Society of One Name Families. If you have an unusual name you can register with them, if they don't already have someone with your name, and they give you certain faciilities, I think. I had the help of an experienced historian who was a mine of information.
Just pay HMGov Plc £9.25.

I thought my surname was unusual until I started looking into it. Common as muck in Kent. So common that they had to add bits after it to show which branch of the family there were from. I did join the GOONS but didn't get any benefit. Perhaps it's time to try again.

I'm now finding that Ancestrydotdoodah is worth the subscription as apart from the records, I am getting information from people researching the same families.

Citizen68

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »
Sorry, Old Meadonian, I misinterpreted your post. I was thinking you had found a way to read the cert.'s without having to buy them, which isn't what you said.