Author Topic: Finding WW1 records of soldiers serving with South Wales Borderers  (Read 1810 times)

jan40

I have a medal that belonged to my father in law . On the rim is has been engraved his name and that he was in the South Wales Borderers. I have been unable to trace him. It seems the SWB no longer existed when he returned to the front after having been wounded. Can any one help?

zoony

Re: Finding WW1 records of soldiers serving with South Wales Borderers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
Perhaps if you Wicki the SWB jan, in the Regimental history it'll tell you when they ceased to be that and what they became. That should lead you to a source of Regimental records which might supply you with the information you need. There are folk on here who know about such things so good luck.. And Welcome. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Citizen68

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
jn40, I know it is possble to trace medals, my brother has done it. You could Google it. If no luck, I'll try and remember to ask my brother how to go about it.

jan40

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2015, 05:50:46 PM »
Hello Citizen 68. Thank you for your message. I have tried all the usual sites with no luck because the   South Wales Borderers no longer exist having been absorbed into the Royal Welsh. I have nowwritten to their regimental HQ to see if they can help.  I will let you know how I get on!

Citizen68

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »
jan40, thanks for the response. The Royal Welsh should be able to help, or tell you who can. If you have no luck, come back and I will ask my brother how he went about it.