Author Topic: Still hoping to attract more sewers, crafters, etc.  (Read 8858 times)

Granny49

Re: Still hoping to attract more sewers, crafters, etc.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »
Oh dear Firenze, you have just reminded me.  Years ago - many, many, years ago - we went to dinner with "clients" who had the most beautiful house.  In the sitting room was one of those lovely tall stands with a tapestry hoop and a half completed tapestry.  I got into really deep water discussing how enjoyable tapestry can be, etc., etc., before my hostess explained (quietly) that it was just décor and would never be finished  :-[  ;D
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2015, 08:32:23 PM »
I did make cushions years ago but they were nothing as good as that .
I used to do loads of knitting  jumpers and leggings with trains , ducks, and boats on for my little nephews , jumpers with hello on the front and goodbye on the back when they got older and much more . Can't do it now tho my hands won't let me

Granny49

« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2015, 09:16:01 PM »
The instructions come on a CD Maddie and make it a lot easier to follow.

I would love to see some of your knitting.  I wonder if there are more knitters than sewers?  I am sorry to hear about your hands.  I brought my knitting friend some bamboo needles - she has arthritis - and they have really helped.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

firenze

« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2015, 11:10:18 PM »
There I go again Zoony typical Saggitarian...always to be found with foot in mouth  :D 

G49 oh dear - yes, I suppose my Tapestry iis almost furnishing, I always like to impress so it's always propped in a prominent position. Im a real poser the colours match the room too. :-[ :-[ p.s. Your needlework (cushions) is really good work.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Salbee

« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:41:31 PM »
I'm new here. I am a dressmaker and make most of my own things. Can I help with your sewing.

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:48:32 PM »
HelloSalbee, and welcome to Pensioners Are Us...I'm afraid the ladies wot sew are abed, but I could be wrong and I know they like new blood...erm, as it were. No vampires here. No, none at all. Not since....but I shouldn't gossip. Hope you enjoy the site. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Granny49

« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
Hi Sal and welcome to the forum.  It is good to see another sewer join especially a dressmaker.  Although I used to make own clothes when I was young, and have made children's and grandchildren's since, I seem to have taken a different path with my sewing so far since my return to it all.  I would be nice to attract more sewers of all types so we can swap information.  I am hoping to do some machine heirloom embroidery this year - and then work out what I can use it in :)

Maddie Malone

« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2015, 01:53:53 PM »
Hi Sal and welcome .

Granny 49 what's the difference between the bamboo knitting needles and the ordinary ones . I would love to take up knitting  again to pass some time away but I find it hard to grasp anything with my hands as they are .

Granny49

« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »
I (fingers crossed and touching wood) don't have arthritis in my hands Maddie but I think it is because they are warmer.  I know a couple of people who find they make a difference but it is difficult to say why.  I know they have started producing crochet hooks with ergonomic handles but, having looked at them I felt they would be difficult to use.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
Ok thanks might try them 😄

Salbee

« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2016, 01:43:05 AM »
Has anyone done any kind of sewing course. I did city and guilds fashion design some years back and thinking about doing something similar
again. What do you think of modern day tuition.

Emmaline

« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »
I learned to sew when I was at school and I made quite a few things over those years and when I left I used to make my own blouses and skirts.
My latest effort was a nightdress and I was so intent on making sure that it was big enough round my hips which it was but unfortunately wasn't big enough round my boobs!

All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Phil

« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
I learned to sew when I was at school and I made quite a few things over those years and when I left I used to make my own blouses and skirts.
My latest effort was a nightdress and I was so intent on making sure that it was big enough round my hips which it was but unfortunately wasn't big enough round my boobs!

Would wearing it upside down make it fit?
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

granny moss

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2016, 01:03:05 PM »
I cannot knit. I like home made jumpers etc. So, got a double bed knitting machine from Switzerland. I did try so hard to learn, but most of the time I messed up and the all knitting ended up unwindung on the floor....I do admit the pushing and pulling of the knitting "thing" was making quite a noise....My husband complained, very gently....Then, I went to Italy for a couple of weeks. Wen I got back, the knitting machine and all the wool had gone....My husband called the Deaft Charity, and they came and collected the lot !......I do not remember how I reacted.....but I do not think I made much of a fuss,and it was soon forgotten.....I still cannot knit !   GM PS. Great admiration for anyone that can ! ! ! x

granny moss

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
Salbi. I did 2 years Dressmaking and then 3 years design. Worked in London for a couple of years.
Then had the children.For 6 years nothing. Then helped my husband in his business, as his accountant.When he retired, I
started my own business making Wedding gowns for private customers. Retired at 63. Love sewing etc.
GM.