Author Topic: knitting ,  (Read 2543 times)

Alfred

knitting ,
« on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
both my wife and daughter enjoy knitting although they have spates where they really go for it, and at other times they have a break,
but although my wife has knitted a group of mice, nativity set, dolls, and so on,
whilst my daughter prefers crochet,  over a number of years she has knitted from king size, right down to baby size, and she has made a brilliant job, with different patterns and all the  designs, are blanket shaped.
I cant remember just how many in total  but I would guess around forty at least,

Maddie Malone

Re: knitting ,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »
Over the years I've knitted many things .
From babies things right up to adults .
Even knitted a jumper for a local radio D J so he would ring my sister .

At one time I even had a knitting machine .could knock out a jumper for one of the kids in a day .
Wasn't the same as having a pair of needles tho .

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:53:41 AM »
My mum knitted beautifully. My children had lots of cardigans and jumpers from her.  Although I learnt as a child, I don't enjoy it.  Mum also made many of my dresses when I was a child, and I've still got some tablecloths and a fire screen that she embroidered.  I don't sew either.  I have neither the talent or the patience unfortunately.😢

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

firenze

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
Knitting and Tapestry..I feel an awful cheat having had a shop selling this merchandise and dispensing advice, I hate doing it too GrannyMac. My current tapestry began in 1988 is still unfinished but visible awaiting my needle. :D
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2016, 04:57:50 PM »
Hello Firenze,
many years ago my wife used to make her own dresses, im going way back in time where money was very  short , but because she worked in a shop at that time that sold dress fabrics and patterns , I suppose it was obvious that she would eventually end up making her own dresses, how ever there were times  too  where she had made some dresses, which were incomplete for a number of years and at times she too has done the same with her knitting, I can easily understand losing interest as the concentration required takes some doing
how ever im sure one day you'll get the inspiration, and complete the job,

firenze

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
Hello Alf don't hold your breath...I've come to the conclusion I have no staying power so finishing anything is usually 'sweet fanny Adams' in the end.  Family History, Local History, Astrology, Painting and Crayoning, Antiques, Dressmaking and Tapestry. All subjects dabbled in but master of none!  Excellent judge of wine ;D ;D ;D

Mark Twain.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
Knitting and Tapestry..I feel an awful cheat having had a shop selling this merchandise and dispensing advice, I hate doing it too GrannyMac. My current tapestry began in 1988 is still unfinished but visible awaiting my needle. :D

Will you ever finish it?  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  My best friend makes beautiful quilts and bags, and tries to encourage me to join a sewing class.  I'll just stick to my books, online scrabble ( love it), and a bit of telly. 😊

R. Gervais

firenze

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
Oh Bingo Grannymac me too! I am no longer a "worthy" books,  magazine t.v. and crosswords that's me, i like Scrabble never thought of on line.  Politely I think I am a slob ;D

Mark Twain.

Alfred

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
I Can remember many years ago whilst I was doing my national service
and I was based at the time in a training camp in catterick, royal corps of  signal, regiment, Yorkshire, well there were thirty of us in our barrack room and one lad
came from the faro islands, Scotland,  and he knitted a beautiful man's jumper it was a really thick jumper, at first we thought it strange seeing him knitting away, but we  got used to, seeing him doing this,  I bet the jumper was expensive as it was a really thick one, the type you never see in any shop, and you certainly didn't need a coat if you had that on ,

Alfred,

Beannie

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »
Alf he probably still wears it . They cost about a fifty pounds back then and now they are hundreds for a hand made fair isle I think they are called xxx

Emmaline

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2016, 03:12:39 PM »
I've recently joined a Knit 'n Natter group where we all knit for charity. Not only are there hundreds of groups throughout the country but we knit for many different charities too.
At the moment I am knitting some Angel Tops which are for little premature babies that have died.. sad I know but I feel that these poor mothers may be given just a little bit of an uplift to see their wee one in something nice and that someone has bothered to do that.

All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Maywalk

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2016, 09:21:41 PM »
I used to do a lot of knitting but had to cut it down because of the Osteoporosis.
My ruddy fingers keep seizing up but I persevered and knitted this set for my new great grandchild that will be arriving at the end of the year.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2016, 09:26:48 PM »
They're lovely Maywalk. 

R. Gervais

Maywalk

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2016, 10:14:59 PM »
Thanks GrannyMac. I only wish I had full use of my ruddy fingers but I cant even grip a pen sometimes. Its a good job I have the computer because I can still tap out any replies with my middle finger of my right hand. Ths getting old business can be a sod at times.  ;D

Raven

« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
I like to knit and have orders from my daughter to make her a new sweater every Christmas. lol. No box of sweets like the others get as a stocking filler just a new sweater..