Author Topic: sewing machines ,  (Read 1169 times)

Alfred

sewing machines ,
« on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »
well over fifty years ago I bought my wife a sewing machine complete with a table ,it was called a novum. to which in later years singers also bought this machine which was made in Ireland ,it has only been serviced once in all that time,
how ever my wife told me of her great granny who way back in time also had
a Bradbury sewing machine, the family must have had money as all that time ago, people then who had sewing machines of  that calibre, obviously had money , although I don't anything at all about the family I wonder what jobs they had to be able to buy a machine then,

Q; have you ever had or owned a sewing machine, if so what make was it,.

zoony

Re: sewing machines ,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
I imagine that they were milliners, dressmakers or similar Alf..It figures that in those days a machine could pay for itself.
Not everything is as it seems and not everything that seems is..

Jose Saramago 

A bit deep for me but true nonetheless.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:17:36 PM »
Alf that's one thing I could never get on with is sewing .
Didn't like it when I was at school either .

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »
The first sewing machine I owned was a very old Singer. It had pedals and a large wheel...and a shuttle....and lots of other small gadgets to do pleating etc. It was a small machine. I sew with it the most beautiful bridal wear and evening gowns.  Later on I had an electric one that did many more things.  I designed the gowns and dresses. The last wedding dress I made, about 1978....I charged 500, not included the fabrics. I loved design and sewing. The happy customers when they collected the clothes....Looking back, I think I must have done something well, because I had lots of thank you cards and some gifts from the customers, and the photos of them wearing the gowns....I feel happy about that !gm x

Yellowbird

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
Many years ago my boyfriends (now husbands) parents bought a television, not many people had one, every time the woman a few doors up started her sewing machine up, and she did every night it used to interfere with the television so much you couldn't see the picture, it the made the most annoying noise and the picture would disintegrate, she went on all evening, my very kind and peaceful Father in Law used to go wild with rage.  What fun it all was X
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
I still have my mum's old Singer Sewing Machine in the bottom of my hall cupboard. It's a hand worked one and in perfect nink. Only use it every now and again usually to hem jeans as the legs are always way to long..